Using templates in website making (1 Viewer)

Pace_T

HSC
Hey will we lose marks for using templates in making our websites for the major project??
thanks

Pace_T

HSC
how do u do that???

in my assignment we have to create a website for a business
are we expected to do that stuff?

Pace_T

HSC
yep sure will, its just that she's away for half this week :eek:
anyway, i was like asking in general..
i thought that stuff was super hard, and not expected by yr 12 students !!
i feel dumb at the moment :O

Trev

stix
HSC
Pace_T said:
yep sure will, its just that she's away for half this week :eek:
anyway, i was like asking in general..
i thought that stuff was super hard, and not expected by yr 12 students !!
i feel dumb at the moment :O
I'm sure it isn't expected of from students at our level.

C

CaR

I dont think your teacher expects you to be a pro at it, but indeed it would be best if it was your own work.

Is that what you wanted to hear? :p

Lwaxana

Betazed Ambassador
HSC
N/A
Errrrr
dont use templates

but you can expect your teacher to TEACH you how to use Frontpage
and please look carefully at the marking guidlelines
so that you know what elements are important and dont waste time

and pls remember to create it in ONE folder and have all the graphics etc IN that folder, so that the links work when you submit it to your teacher

thats the part I find frustrating - when students say "Oh it was working on my computer" and expect me to give them full marks for navigation and active links

HSC
Pace_T said:
Hey will we lose marks for using templates in making our websites for the major project??
thanks
My friend used a template and was not marked down. However 30/70 of the assignment marks were for the actual project and he did do lots of work on roll over images etc.

harvestcows

HSC
for our ipt project we weren't allowed to use any images not otherwised provided, use any texts other than the text provided, use any templates or frames to make it fair for the students who haven't gone to the trouble of learning CSS, frames, templates, dhtml. Basically you have to make do with what they give you

I think in general its really difficult to judge how well a website is made but our criteria is more or less, that it has to be compatible with all computers, with working hyperlinks and undistracting simple backgrounds which attentuate rather than distract

our teacher has already said some things about testing it on several computers all at different resolutions, different colours (high colour, 256 colour etc) with different operating systems so we have to use images which are standerized and highly compatible on all computers (.gif, jpeg ?) refrain from using anything that requires third party software or is not widely supported such as flash, java applet, java script, also marks would be taken off it if takes longer than 10 seconds to load on a standard 56 k modem so the images have to be appropriately compressed without being too pixelised or bad looking, fonts have to be fairly standerized as well, eg. windows fonts may not all work on another operating system, the html has to be fairly standerized and comply with w3c. Theres also many other things but thats all i can think of the top of my head

My biggest problem really is designing for resolutions which range from 800*600 to the huge school moniters of 1024*768. I don't think your teacher would be easily impressed by flashy videos, extreme dhtml or java applets, i don't actually think the whole thing is about being an internet design elite but more about your understanding of the design principals such as large enough easy to read text size, contrasting background, easy navigation, consistency throughout pages

asscookie

dork.
HSC
Don't use templates. You should lose marks if you do. I designed the website I made for my multimedia task at the end of 04, and I'd have been mighty pissed off if someone had submitted a template, since it's basically cheating.

Pace_T

HSC
thanx for ur replies :)
ok well i could finally ask the teacher today and she said we could use templates :p

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
most of the free templates show some copyright sign of the source company anyways- so it is normally obvious that u used a template..

HSC
Huratio said:
most of the free templates show some copyright sign of the source company anyways- so it is normally obvious that u used a template..
unless u edit it out in dreamweaver :p

frontpage is utter crap

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
sometimes they put the copyright signs in flash and ask you to pay for the source code...

i'd like to see you find a good template site which has good flash components that give you the source code and let you have the template all for FREE..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)