Using Trademarks in a major work? (1 Viewer)

minushuman

tafe pride
HSC
The last paragraph I just wrote in my short story talked about dualistic nature of sharing knowledge, and in talking about open source and public license I made a comparison which involved using the phrase "Microsoft's 'Windows' operating system and 'Office' word processing suite".

I remember my advisor teacher lady having a spit about me mentioning Merke Sharpe and Dohme the international pharmecutical company.

Can I use the word Microsoft? Do i have to add a footnote or a registered symbol or something?

Thanks a bunch. Fuck i'm streseed right now. 2500words to go + RS and Journal :)

_Benji_

HSC
No way, I'd say your fine, you're not writing it as something you've made up... you're making a reference to a real product/ etc.

I do it with brand names, and i can't see how they could possibly have a problem with it.

crap.... you have long nights ahead!! good luck!! (im still writing my R.S.... geez it's annoying)

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
haha you think that's bad - I use chatroom trancripts in mine, and the template is actually the mIRC chatbox screenshotted in Windows XP.

No, it's absolutely fine - you're not writing for profit; it's an educational piece and thus you've pretty much got free reign.

nwatts

HSC
Just because it's educational doesn't mean it is void of all copyright laws.

I'd just go to character map, pick out a '®', '©' or '™' and stick it next to 'Office', 'Microsoft' and 'Windows'.

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
Yeah, well unless Mr Gates ends up reading the '05 showcase (assuming he makes it in), I really don't see the need to clutter the work with TMs and Cs and whatnot.

I personally think it'd hamper the flow of the work to see these kinds of formalities, but that's just me.

Last edited:

nwatts

HSC
c_james said:
Yeah, well unless Mr Gates ends up reading the '05 showcase (assuming he makes it in), I really don't see the need to clutter the work with TMs and Cs and whatnot.

I personally think it'd hamper the flow of the work to see these kinds of formalities, but that's just me.
Fair enough. I wouldn't be too worried unless a teacher specifically 'told' me to whack them in.

minushuman

tafe pride
HSC
Good stuff. Thanks a bunch ay. I'm might actually do it because it serves to further my point now that i think about it. Meh i'll decide tomorrow. Thanks again.

I'm nearly at 6000words :) It takes me a bloody long time to write because i constantly revise and refine as i go, i find it hard to move on unless i'm happy with the previous sentence. Could never bring myself to just hammer out a first draft irrespective of quality like i was asked to do within a month of starting the course. But thats just me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)