USYD and UNSW law transfer 2016 (1 Viewer)

Shizuka

HSC
Hey guys,

I just completed my first year of Bachelor or Arts at USYD and my WAM is 80.4 (GPA 6.3).

My 2014 ATAR was 83.

What are my chances of getting into combined law at USYD and UNSW?

I think at UNSW they take both my WAM and ATAR into consideration so the chances of getting into UNSW combined law is significantly lower than USYD, where they say they use WAM or ATAR, whichever is higher (on their website and through email correspondence).

Let me know your thoughts please :) Thanks!

afc123

HSC
Hey guys,

I just completed my first year of Bachelor or Arts at USYD and my WAM is 80.4 (GPA 6.3).

My 2014 ATAR was 83.

What are my chances of getting into combined law at USYD and UNSW?

I think at UNSW they take both my WAM and ATAR into consideration so the chances of getting into UNSW combined law is significantly lower than USYD, where they say they use WAM or ATAR, whichever is higher (on their website and through email correspondence).

Let me know your thoughts please :) Thanks!
Hey Shizuka,

From what I've read on here in the past a WAM around 80 is considered pretty competitive with some saying 82/83 almost guarantees a position. As you stated your chances for UNSW are much lower. I did read somewhere when I was at USYD that a wam of 75 guarantees a place for internal transfers but this may have changed.

I'm applying with a GPA of 6.32 and an ATAR of 96.8 from UTS Bus/Law, hoping to get into Comm/Law. Anyone else's thoughts on my chances would be great.

Cheers

HSC
N/A
Hey Shizuka,

From what I've read on here in the past a WAM around 80 is considered pretty competitive with some saying 82/83 almost guarantees a position. As you stated your chances for UNSW are much lower. I did read somewhere when I was at USYD that a wam of 75 guarantees a place for internal transfers but this may have changed.

I'm applying with a GPA of 6.32 and an ATAR of 96.8 from UTS Bus/Law, hoping to get into Comm/Law. Anyone else's thoughts on my chances would be great.

Cheers
if u dont get in we're all doomed

from what i read on the unsw website they always look at atar+uni marks (50/50). is this true? thats the reason i havent applied to unsw

i have a 79 wam but my gpa is 5.9. i think for external transfers they only look at gpa and not the wam. so im pretty sure i wont get in which sucks because i have to travel to uws every day which is 2 hours away

Last edited:

wished

HSC
N/A
if u dont get in we're all doomed

from what i read on the unsw website they always look at atar+uni marks (50/50). is this true? thats the reason i havent applied to unsw

i have a 79 wam but my gpa is 5.9. i think for external transfers they only look at gpa and not the wam. so im pretty sure i wont get in which sucks because i have to travel to uws every day which is 2 hours away
I'm pretty sure you'll get in with a 79 WAM. I have a 75 WAM and am praying I get a position, but I am having second thoughts as I don't think 75 is competitive enough :/

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm pretty sure you'll get in with a 79 WAM. I have a 75 WAM and am praying I get a position, but I am having second thoughts as I don't think 75 is competitive enough :/
Which uni are you currently in and which uni(s) are you planning to transfer into?

pHyRe

HSC
I read just the other day on a USyd website that an ATAR of 97 or WAM of 75 will generally make you reasonably competitive. I know people with similar (and slightly lower WAMs) that have gotten in. I think you'll be fine

wished

HSC
N/A
Which uni are you currently in and which uni(s) are you planning to transfer into?
UTS Bus to USYD/UNSW Law currently 75.3 WAM (do they take into account second year so some subjects are slightly harder?) :c

I called up USYD and they said a distinction GPA average is competitive, but when I asked what GPA that is ie. 3.5 they said they didn't know as they don't use GPA

Last edited:

wandering17

HSC
I thought unsw was the one that doesn't take into account atar but just wam (internally transferring) and usyd takes into account both?

wished

HSC
N/A
I thought unsw was the one that doesn't take into account atar but just wam (internally transferring) and usyd takes into account both?
Idk, I called uts/usyd/unsw and all three said that they use some ratio of atar/wam even for people who have done over a year of uni. However, like many other people on this forum a lot of people are saying atar is disregarded so i'm not sure. Currently sitting on 75.3 WAM as a second year and worrying I won't receive an offer =[

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
If you apply via IPT, they use just your WAM/GPA.

If you apply via UAC, they may use your WAM/GPA and your ATAR.

Idk, I called uts/usyd/unsw and all three said that they use some ratio of atar/wam even for people who have done over a year of uni. However, like many other people on this forum a lot of people are saying atar is disregarded so i'm not sure. Currently sitting on 75.3 WAM as a second year and worrying I won't receive an offer =[
For UAC transfers (which is most cases), theoretically they use ATAR and GPA/WAM if your ATAR is higher than your GPA/WAM equivalent, and they use just your GPA/WAM if your GPA/WAM equivalent is higher than your ATAR.

UNSW IPT is an exception to this, whereby it uses purely WAM regardless of your ATAR.

Shizuka

HSC
I applied through UAC for USYD combined law so will it be safe to say that they'll only use my WAM (80.4) since its higher than my ATAR (83)?
Also, how do you think I'll go with these marks for USYD law? Thanks!

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I applied through UAC for USYD combined law so will it be safe to say that they'll only use my WAM (80.4) since its higher than my ATAR (83)?
Also, how do you think I'll go with these marks for USYD law? Thanks!
Your WAM looks strong enough for a transfer.

How's your GPA?

Yeah, they should end up using 100% tertiary results for you.

afc123

HSC
Sitting on a 6.44 GPA (97.65 NRSL) with a 96.80 ATAR. Thoughts on my chances? USYD/UNSW are my preferences.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Sitting on a 6.44 GPA (97.65 NRSL) with a 96.80 ATAR. Thoughts on my chances? USYD/UNSW are my preferences.
UNSW Law NRSL cut-off was around 95-96 in 2015.

Good chances for UNSW.

USYD is still a possibility but UNSW is more likely.

engineering

HSC
N/A
You will find out, with everyone else, on Jan 20, when offers come out.

Nothing anyone can say or write at this stage will change your likelihood of an offer.

Shizuka

HSC
Guys I didn't make it :p

I emailed USYD for the reason and this is what I got:

Due to high demand this year the process for transferring into the combined law program was particularly competitive. Successful candidates needed a high distinction average in their tertiary studies.

I noticed they changed the info a bit on their website as well:

Entry to Combined Law is competitive and experience suggests you will require an ATAR above 99 or a Tertiary Grade Point Average in the High Distinction range to be competitive to transfer into Combined Law. If you are a current Sydney student the weighted average mark (WAM) will be used. An ATAR above 99 or a WAM around 77 will be competitive.

So instead of distinction average you now need a high distinction average to be competitive, the 75 WAM has also been changed to 77 as well.

wished

HSC
N/A
Guys I didn't make it :p

I emailed USYD for the reason and this is what I got:

Due to high demand this year the process for transferring into the combined law program was particularly competitive. Successful candidates needed a high distinction average in their tertiary studies.

I noticed they changed the info a bit on their website as well:

Entry to Combined Law is competitive and experience suggests you will require an ATAR above 99 or a Tertiary Grade Point Average in the High Distinction range to be competitive to transfer into Combined Law. If you are a current Sydney student the weighted average mark (WAM) will be used. An ATAR above 99 or a WAM around 77 will be competitive.

So instead of distinction average you now need a high distinction average to be competitive, the 75 WAM has also been changed to 77 as well.
Dear god... HD average that is so unfortunate shizuka, i was almost sure you would get in with 80 wam!

I obviously had no chance if that was the case... however I did get an offer from UTS. Does anyone know how prestige plays in law nowadays? Do firms not accept students outside of go8? I'm not sure if ill take the offer!

Did you get any law offers from other unis shizuka? If not, are you planning to just stay in your degree?

BiasedBuffalo

HSC
That sucks guys. I managed to scrape in with an ATAR of 99.05 and WAM of 78.3 - but I was an internal transfer, so I don't know if they assess differently.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)