USYD Chatter Thread 2016 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
Re: USYD Chatter Thread - Semester 1 2016

My exams are finally done! Although I do have clinical placement for the next two weeks. So, I hope you enjoy your breaks.

yelribbon

HSC

Hi guys! I emailed the student centre about two weeks ago about this but I still haven't gotten a reply so I was wondering if anyone knew the answer. I wanted to do start doing some French language units and realised that the first unit (FRNC1601) is only available in semester 1. But it's also available in summer/winter school as well as 'Intensive January' and 'Intensive December'. What are intensive units exactly and can any student enrol in them? Thanks!

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC

The language units offered in the Intensive terms are only open to students doing the accelerated stream of a Diploma of Language Studies. It allows students who do not have enough room in their degree program to do what is the equivalent of a language major outside of their degree. Plus you get an extra qualification from it.

If you are interested in learning French, then I would definitely recommend enrolling in a DipLang; you can do it concurrently with your regular degree, and the majority of the work is done in the term breaks, so there is minimal impact on your other studies. You can apply through the website here: http://sydney.edu.au/courses/diploma-of-language-studies.

yelribbon

HSC

The language units offered in the Intensive terms are only open to students doing the accelerated stream of a Diploma of Language Studies. It allows students who do not have enough room in their degree program to do what is the equivalent of a language major outside of their degree. Plus you get an extra qualification from it.

If you are interested in learning French, then I would definitely recommend enrolling in a DipLang; you can do it concurrently with your regular degree, and the majority of the work is done in the term breaks, so there is minimal impact on your other studies. You can apply through the website here: http://sydney.edu.au/courses/diploma-of-language-studies.
Thank you so much!!!!!!

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC

Anyone here done a summer research scholarship for any sciences before? Not sure what to include in the personal statement.

hkrp

HSC

I haven't actually applied before but will probably this year and have been wondering the same thing. Currently thinking about including: previous research experience, relevant skills, general interest in topic, and future plans (not that I really have any).

What were you thinking of including? It would be interesting to see what people have done previously.

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC

I haven't actually applied before but will probably this year and have been wondering the same thing. Currently thinking about including: previous research experience, relevant skills, general interest in topic, and future plans (not that I really have any).

What were you thinking of including? It would be interesting to see what people have done previously.
Don't really know tbh, don't have any previous research experience and i think most people have the same skills doing science. So i'll probably do some research into one of the projects i wanna do and just elaborate on that then add what i want to do in the future

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad

Probably worth mentioning that you're interested in moving on to honours. Either way, most places give a lot of weight to grades.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC

Anyone here done a summer research scholarship for any sciences before? Not sure what to include in the personal statement.
Your personal statement should include your background, your motivations for research and your areas of interest.

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC

Your personal statement should include your background, your motivations for research and your areas of interest.
Are they looking for some inspirational backstory of why you chose to pursue science

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC

Are they looking for some inspirational backstory of why you chose to pursue science
Honestly, every first/second year I knew that got in just had a really high WAM.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Re: USYD Chatter Thread 2016

Loving psychology at the moment.

Early days yet, but we may be looking at my next degree. :)

Last edited:

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A

Can we just change the thread title to Year 2016? So quiet.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC

yea... theyre cloning it though! not sure how long it takes for them to grow
They've currently got 4 that are genetic clones of that one right there. Seeing how they develop before choosing which one will be the replacement (also doing a reassessment of the soil etc). They're only about 2m tall at the moment (or they were when I spoke to a groundskeeper about it a few months back) so got heaps of room to grow before they really replace that one.

This jacaranda actually did really well because they usually only last about 60-70 years, and this one was bordering on 80.

sida1049

HSC
Hey guys, my Access Card is due to expire at the end of this year.

I'm currently in SUMS (mathematics society) and plan on staying throughout the years. Would I need a valid Access Card every single year?

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
This jacaranda actually did really well because they usually only last about 60-70 years, and this one was bordering on 80.
Apparently it was 88 according to USYD's fb.

Hey guys, my Access Card is due to expire at the end of this year.

I'm currently in SUMS (mathematics society) and plan on staying throughout the years. Would I need a valid Access Card every single year?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the way it works is that for each year you'll need an access card if you want to join societies even if you were a member of the society previously.

sida1049

HSC
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the way it works is that for each year you'll need an access card if you want to join societies even if you were a member of the society previously.
Ah, alright thanks. On the bright side, there's a discount on renewal plus free burger and beer :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)