USYD Chatter Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Just got my timetable. Doing five subjects this semester, but managed to cram it in to mostly the mornings of four days which is good.

This should be an interesting year. I'll finish undergrad this year, and I've recently decided to try my hand at getting into USYD Medicine for next year or the year after. If I don't get the necessary GAMSAT marks first go (which is likely), I'll have a year to kill in which I can take a few more shots at GAMSAT. So I'm looking at moving down to Melbourne for a year to do an intensive Diploma of Languages at RMIT.

Exciting times :).

pokka

d'ohnuts
HSC
So I'm doing:

MATH3961
MATH3962
MATH3963
STAT2911

Does anyone know if doing STAT3911 would be too hard seeing as I'm just doing STAT2911 now? (so I'd be doing them at the same time)
I think you should be fine. There are some things you do learn in STAT2911 that is applicable in STAT3911 but I think the lecturer does review/go over them again.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
I think you should be fine. There are some things you do learn in STAT2911 that is applicable in STAT3911 but I think the lecturer does review/go over them again.
How hard is 3911 though? I need to do 5 subjects this sem so I thought it'd be a good fifth unit. Bit worried it's too hard considering my other units though.

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC
Okay, I have a Q for anyone who could possibly help:

Currently I'm enrolled in MATH1901, which allows me to skip Tuesdays if need be (I have 2 lectures on Tuesdays and that's it). But, assuming I'm invited into MATH1906 (SSP maths), I'll have an extra SSP seminar on Tuesday arvos; and I'll also have a clash between a SSP tute and CHEM1101 prac on thursday mornings. So, does this mean that if/when I get invited into MATH1906, my timetable will have to be completely reorganised/rearranged? How is it going to work?

RealiseNothing

HSC
Okay, I have a Q for anyone who could possibly help:

Currently I'm enrolled in MATH1901, which allows me to skip Tuesdays if need be (I have 2 lectures on Tuesdays and that's it). But, assuming I'm invited into MATH1906 (SSP maths), I'll have an extra SSP seminar on Tuesday arvos; and I'll also have a clash between a SSP tute and CHEM1101 prac on thursday mornings. So, does this mean that if/when I get invited into MATH1906, my timetable will have to be completely reorganised/rearranged? How is it going to work?
Yeah when I got accepted into MATH1906 I got a new timetable. It may be similar to your current one, it may not.

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC
Hey man, when are you gonna hand in the SSP application?
Ah, good question. Haven't thought about it much really, to be honest. Probably O week, unless I visit the uni before then. What about you?

pokka

d'ohnuts
HSC
How hard is 3911 though? I need to do 5 subjects this sem so I thought it'd be a good fifth unit. Bit worried it's too hard considering my other units though.
If you choose 3911, you would need to attend extra class for advanced content outside of normal lectures (it's only for 1st section). If Qiying Wang teaches that class again, you probably wouldn't understand anything he explains especially through his broken english. I don't think anyone understood the advanced content because of that. Otherwise for the usual lectures, stochastic processes can be okay/a little hard (I think) but time series (section 2) is much easier.

RealiseNothing

HSC
If you choose 3911, you would need to attend extra class for advanced content outside of normal lectures (it's only for 1st section). If Qiying Wang teaches that class again, you probably wouldn't understand anything he explains especially through his broken english. I don't think anyone understood the advanced content because of that. Otherwise for the usual lectures, stochastic processes can be okay/a little hard (I think) but time series (section 2) is much easier.
Ok that sounds pretty good since I was more worried about the time series half with the labs. I've touched very slightly on stochastic processes and find them okay.

Also one last quick question if you don't mind, with both 2911/3911 is it hard to get good marks? Because even though the content isn't incredibly hard, I've heard horror stories from friends about their final marks. I have friends who were getting HD's in 2961 etc but in the 50's for 2911.

sida1049

HSC
Ah, good question. Haven't thought about it much really, to be honest. Probably O week, unless I visit the uni before then. What about you?
Yeah same here hahah. In the meantime, I gotta figure out how to use my Advanced English skills to conjure up a compelling SSP application.

pHyRe

HSC
Ok that sounds pretty good since I was more worried about the time series half with the labs. I've touched very slightly on stochastic processes and find them okay.

Also one last quick question if you don't mind, with both 2911/3911 is it hard to get good marks? Because even though the content isn't incredibly hard, I've heard horror stories from friends about their final marks. I have friends who were getting HD's in 2961 etc but in the 50's for 2911.

man in the same boat. even changed my stream to advanced maths at one point but without scaling anymore (or not very good scaling) im gonna give all advanced units a miss i reckon.

normal is less work for better marks. while id be super keen to learn the adv material and do the extra work, just not worth the average marks you get in return. esp for me since my 1st year was crap, so trying to get my marks up

and yes, 2911 is VERY VERY hard. i did 2011, which was difficult but assessments were easy. 2911 sounded even harder and the assessments just as hard. i think itd be a good idea to do 2911 before 3911. but you could probably get away without it. just learn moments and MLEs inside out for 3911 over the next few weeks

pHyRe

HSC
I personally prefer the UNSW Law building to the USYD Law building. The USYD library just feels badly designed, and I just don't architecturally understand why they've elevated the building. And the huge glass wave thing that sticks out jars with me for some reason. Idk, just my opinion.

USYD Bonus Point Schemes (incl. Law):
- E12 (reduces ATAR to 95.00 if you can prove some financial disability and/or are located in a "under-performing" school
- Dux Scheme
- Elite Athlete and Performers (you can get the ATAR down to 97.70 if you're eligible)
- EAS (you can get the ATAR down to 97.75 if you're eligible)
- Indigenous Entry Schemes
- Mature Age Entry Schemes

Next year, UNSW will only consider LAT and EAS for Law. So, ironically, USYD will be the bonus point giver for Law next year. :)

Randwick is HARDLY the middle of no where. Seriously, this isn't even a good point.
In fact, if you ask Google:
USYD to Sydney CBD: 13 minutes.
UNSW to Sydney CBD: 13 minutes.
And sometimes USYD can take longer because of traffic density.
hahha what are you on about?

sida explained the elavation. also i'd imagine its a better view from higher up.

USyd in general doesnt hand out bonus points like candy. Average Usyd law atar - 99.1 vs. Unsw average law atar - 97.7

http://www.smh.com.au/national/educ...-with-atars-as-low-as-30-20160125-gmdvr6.html

and finally. no one is driving to either from the city. But via public transport according to google 17 min Town Hall to usyd via bus and 21min via train (which isn't affected by wait times like unsw buses or traffic), 30 min Town hall to UNSW.

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
hahha what are you on about?

sida explained the elavation. also i'd imagine its a better view from higher up.

USyd in general doesnt hand out bonus points like candy. Average Usyd law atar - 99.1 vs. Unsw average law atar - 97.7

http://www.smh.com.au/national/educ...-with-atars-as-low-as-30-20160125-gmdvr6.html

and finally. no one is driving to either from the city. But via public transport according to google 17 min Town Hall to usyd via bus and 21min via train (which isn't affected by wait times like unsw buses or traffic), 30 min Town hall to UNSW.
He's from UNSW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)