USYD colleges? (1 Viewer)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys!

I'm a rural student looking at colleges at USYD. The problem is I hear some crazy things about some of them and it's hard to know which I'd actually like to live at if by chance I decide to go to USYD.

So a couple of questions,
1) At UYSD, (unlike Uni of Melb, ANU and UNSW) you apply to all the colleges individually right? So does this mean you can shop to get a scholarship at any one of them and get accepted into multiple ones and then decide?
2) At Sancta Sophia and Women's colleges, are there are any weird rules because they are women's only colleges? If I want to avoid a misogynist "old boys" club culture would it be better to go to ones of these two?
3) I head awful things about Johns at USYD, do any of the other colleges have bad reputations? Like some people told me St Andrews has weird as hazing rituals.
4) What's Wesley College like?
5) Do any colleges have a large interstate, rural and international mix so it's not just Sydney people?
6) What college would you recommend to me on this basis; I like the idea of the social aspect of the college but would like one where there is space to escape not be binge drinking every single night etc. I'm from a rural area and hesitant of people going to the colleges that A: Live comfortably close to uni anyway and B: Are looking to continue some petty private school atmosphere. Though I'm cogniscient that you encounter these types no matter what you do in life.

barbernator

HSC
1) Yes. Its quite a bit per pop, like $100-200 and yes you could shop around for a scholarship but personally I would be going to the one you like the most
2) I have stayed in the womens college myself and it is really nice in terms of grounds, food etc. I'm not really sure about the misogynist culture, but when I went to the colleges it didn't seem like that too much tbh, it was more just a very stoic attitude towards the college name.
3) Not sure about johns, but yeh Andrews has 3 times a week formal dinner, I think it is the most old school and cultured of them all
4) I thought wesley college was the best out of the ones I looked at and its the only one I am applying for. The only downfall I could see was its lack of grass, but it is the smallest 230 ppl, and seems more tight knit and has awesome facilities.
5) I know wesley college gives some amount of preference to country kids, and I'm guessing other colleges do to.
6) not really sure tbh, there would be enough of a mix of people anyways

good luck in your applications LHS, PM me if u want to know anything more, but I'm sure there are better people to talk to as ive only just applied myself :)

Ferox

HSC
I wouldn't head off to college with a prejudice against old boys from private schools; you might not like your company.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)