USYD Combined Medicine Interviews (1 Viewer)

ssglain

HSC
I got a call from USYD on Tuesday morning to inform me that I'm being invited to an interview for MBBS/B Sc (Adv). Anyone else?

To be honest I wasn't expecting interview offers to be released this early because the USYD website says "The Dean of the Faculty of Medicine will select applicants for interview after consideration of UAI rank." Does this mean USYD has already seen the UAIs of all applicants before they're officially released and are now inviting people whose UAIs meet the cut-off?

I've also heard rumours that the cut-off is being lowered from 99.95 to 99.50 for 2008 entrants. Can someone please confirm?

x-posted to MSO

ssglain

HSC
I just got a call from USYD. I've been made a formal offer for B Sc (Adv)/MBBS plus $10000/yr for the duration. I never could've imagined the offers to be made this early.. I mean, I only had the interview yesterday!

How did you go?

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
Congratulations sssglain, that's quite an achievement!
USYD have a strict quota, and a stapled UAI cutoff - they do not lower the cut off of 99.95 (even if they did, no one with 99.05 would get in = too many higher 99.95-100.00 apps)
You're prob one of only six people who made it into the ScAdv/UsydMP program, which is very impressive if you ask me.

ssglain

HSC
Bacilli said:
Congratulations sssglain, that's quite an achievement!
USYD have a strict quota, and a stapled UAI cutoff - they do not lower the cut off of 99.95 (even if they did, no one with 99.05 would get in = too many higher 99.95-100.00 apps)
You're prob one of only six people who made it into the ScAdv/UsydMP program, which is very impressive if you ask me.
Thank you.

I heard the rumour from a friend who was invited to the B Mus/MBBS interview with a UAI of 99.65. Oh well, doesn't matter now. I was trying to find out before the UAIs came out. (And you're right about too many 99.95-100.00 apps. I know of another 3 people who got offers for B Sc (Adv)/MBBS and they're all on 100.00 UAI.)

I thought the intake for B Sc (Adv)/MBBS was only four though since they have a total intake of ten for the combined medicine program and from what I heard are taking two into each of the BA, B Med Sc and B Mus combos. Oh these things you hear! :hammer:

ssglain

HSC
Okay. I spoke with the Dean of Medicine at USYD's high achievers' reception yesterday. Let's officially clarify some of these rumours.

1. Cut-off for interview remains 99.95 UAI for BA or B Med Sc or B Sc (Adv)/MBBS - not sure about B Mus.
2. The intake quota has been pumped up for 2008 (it was 10 in 2007 because that was the first year they ran the Combined Medicine Program). In 2008 they are taking a total of 20 for B Med Sc or B Sc (Adv)/MBBS, 4 for B Mus/MBBS - not sure about BA.

jah_lu

HSC
N/A
if you don't mind me asking which one are you choosing then as 1st pref?
usyd i assume, or unsw?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
$10000 and 1 yr of ure life :) and a passion for adv sc :p

i think that Usyd is doing what it should have done a long time ago.. and attract the academically gifted students... they havent been happy with them being percieved as receiving the 'rejects'.. who didnt make UG med post-yr 12.. for any reason. But it was to combat the high drop out rate.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
haha yeah.. there are some realli geeky med things from some med revue-type shows on youtube lol...

ssglain

HSC
superlaura said:
what on earth was the writing task like?
It was only 10 minutes long - so nothing mind-blowing. It was a bit like a mini-essay to test your skills in written communication. I don't think it's right for me to tell you what it specifically involved. Why not try for yourself at the end of this year and let me know what you think? :)

ssglain

HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
$10000 and 1 yr of ure life :) and a passion for adv sc :p

i think that Usyd is doing what it should have done a long time ago.. and attract the academically gifted students... they havent been happy with them being percieved as receiving the 'rejects'.. who didnt make UG med post-yr 12.. for any reason. But it was to combat the high drop out rate.
I've been talking to some friends who are also in the combined med program. The majority feels somewhat annoyed that what we've actually been offered by USYD is just a glamourised and hyped-up version of the "rejects to grad med" pathway minus the GAMSAT requirement. I guess we can't help but feel slightly ripped off. Strategically speaking, USYD's the winner. Only 40 or so people get more than 99.95 UAI each year. With a pumped up intake quota of 20 for the combined med program this year, USYD took half of them off the market in one sweep. The common opinion is that if USYD was to demand a minimum of 99.95 UAI for entry into this program, they should have at least put in some effort to develop an integrated combined program that allows B Sc (Adv) (or whatever) to be studied concurrently with MBBS. The remaining minority also recognises this, but instead just feels indifferent. It's funny though, that despite this realisation, most of us still jumped at USYD's offer without too much of another thought.

Steth0scope

HSC
N/A
ssglain said:
It's funny though, that despite this realisation, most of us still jumped at USYD's offer without too much of another thought.
Did you get an offer for UNSW undergrad? If not, would you have chosen UNSW over Usyd?

ssglain

HSC
markzada said:
Did you get an offer for UNSW undergrad? If not, would you have chosen UNSW over Usyd?
USYD' was my first preference, so technically I shouldn't know. But technicals aside, I did receive one dodgy email from UNSW congratulating me for receiving an offer for MBBS and a scholarship. 5 minutes later I received another email saying "It appears that you have accepted USYD's offer. Good luck with that. Please ignore the previous email".

As for USYD vs UNSW, which one would I have chosen - I've already made my choice by putting USYD above UNSW. Before this was done, there have been pages and pages of posts regarding that particular dilemma so I'll spare you.

Steth0scope

HSC
N/A
:) Sorry, I didn't do UMAT so I didn't even bother with putting any medicine down as my preference which = me having no idea on preferences and medicine.

Congrats on your UAI + offer. See you in the chemistry SSP :).

Oh and are you doing TSP as well ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)