USYD Commerce cut-off now higher than UNSW's (1 Viewer)

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
yeh my parents are kinda gipped that im doing such a non-leet low cutoff course. i just reckon the lower unsw cut off is because lots of people who would have done comm in the past chose to do engineering instead this year.

epsilon

HSC
About this B. Com UNSW v USYD, I thought that their cut-offs were usually the same? I remembered that their 2004 cut-offs were both 95, no? It was only in 2005 that USYD nosedived a little at 93.2, while UNSW's stayed at 95.

And now since USYD (93.4) has beaten UNSW (93), they're both equal again :D

Anyway... I have my own little theory on why the 'mighty' UNSW's B. Com nosedived this year :p Could it be that since the 2005 cut-offs for UNSW was 95 and USYD's was 93.2, the current school leavers with UAI's in the vicinity of 93.2 - 94.9 just assumed (wrongly) that they've just missed UNSW's cut-offs and so decided to put USYD's B. Com ahead of it. And thus this extra demand for USYD's B. Com resulted in it maintaining it's previous cut-off, while UNSW's dropped due to those people who didn't put UNSW in front of USYD.

Just my little idea on this :D

Btw, personally, I don't see why there's so much hype about UNSW's B. Commerce. I've just got an offer to transfer into USYD's B. Commerce this year :) I've personally always liked USYD better, and I'd just missed its cut-offs last year. I'm Asian, and I've gotta agree though that many of my Asian friends (especially the FOTBS) seems to be obsessed with UNSW for some reason...

Anyway, what's the point in debating about UNSW v USYD anyway? Aren't both of them the premier unis in NSW? It's a bit like debating over Oxford v Cambridge, or Harvard v Yale... :p

Last edited:

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd be inclined to say Cambridge > Oxford and Harvard > Yale, just purely because of all the rankings I've seen.

Regardless of how accurate the rankings are, they are enough to influence me. I am a perfect example of how the Dragon Hypothesis should now be renamed into the Dragon Theory.

epsilon

HSC
I wonder if the unis in the UK or US have their own 'specialities' or areas which people perceive they excel in (ie B. Com at UNSW, Actuarial Sc in Macq Uni)? Or does getting into Harvard/Cambridge override everything else?

I don't think a prestigious law firm would give a toss if its potential recruits were from Cambridge or Oxford :D Is this the same for the USYD v UNSW debates as well?

Btw, what are Australia's equivalent of 'Ivy League' unis anyway? I've heard somewhere before that they're called the 'Group of 8' or 'sandstone' unis. I'm guessing that they're:

1. Uni of Sydney
2. UNSW
3. Melbourne Uni
4. Monash Uni
5. Queensland Uni
6. UWA
7. Uni of Adelaide
8. ANU

I know, nothing to do with the topic :p But just interesting to know... :D

Last edited:

Alimoe_KG

HSC
"UNSW is the only Australian university that has consistently been ranked among the top 10 universities in Asia Pacific in all the Asiaweek surveys. "

Source: http://www.help.edu.my/news/news/20040815_unsw.php

Higher UAI doesnt mean the course is better. Just means more people lust for pretty sandstone and ovals rather than modern buildings. Plus, this year's candidature is significantly smaller than 04, which had a huge group. This is probably the biggest reason for the drop. It's not like USYD jumped over UNSW by 3 points. It's more like 0.3.

UNSW's rep for Commerce goes a long way back. Plus, the Australian Graduate School of Management, the leading business school in Australia and Asia for the last 4 years, was established by UNSW and is about to become wholly owned by UNSW again after a period sharing it with USYD.

Lainee

HSC
Airness said:
"UNSW is the only Australian university that has consistently been ranked among the top 10 universities in Asia Pacific in all the Asiaweek surveys. "

Source: http://www.help.edu.my/news/news/20040815_unsw.php

Higher UAI doesnt mean the course is better. Just means more people lust for pretty sandstone and ovals rather than modern buildings. Plus, this year's candidature is significantly smaller than 04, which had a huge group. This is probably the biggest reason for the drop. It's not like USYD jumped over UNSW by 3 points. It's more like 0.3.

UNSW's rep for Commerce goes a long way back. Plus, the Australian Graduate School of Management, the leading business school in Australia and Asia for the last 4 years, was established by UNSW and is about to become wholly owned by UNSW again after a period sharing it with USYD.

Eh, old arguments. In all likelihood the 06'ers are going to start championing the UNSW cause and the UAI will go up again, which will make all you UNSWers sit easy again.

Alimoe_KG

HSC
Lainee said:
Eh, old arguments. In all likelihood the 06'ers are going to start championing the UNSW cause and the UAI will go up again, which will make all you UNSWers sit easy again.
*sits easier* :eek:

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
brogan77 said:
Sandstone Universities:
The University of Sydney
The University of Melbourne
The University of Tasmania
The University of Adelaide
The University of Queensland
The University of Western Australia.

Group of Eight
University of Adelaide
Australian National University
University of Melbourne
Monash University
University of New South Wales
University of Queensland
University of Sydney
University of Western Australia

Go8 is the Ivy League equivalent.
Sandstone is the oldest in each state/founded pre-1950
UNSW is ranked equal/even higher than USyd (Australia's oldest uni) in many faculties. This is a significant achievement considering that USyd is over 200 yr's old and UNSW is only around 50yrs old. USyd not only has antiquated building faculties; in many respects, it has antiquated faculties.

I am very certain that the fall in the UAI cutoff for Commerce at UNSW is attributed to an increase in supply to compensate from a fall fee-paying students (international) and government subsidise. That's why it's such a sharp fall in the cutoff. I believe demand has not been affected by a change in perceptions; it's more to do with a change in the numbers.

I think USyd were running losses when they teamed up with the UNSW AGSM; obviously, no one wants an MBA from USyd =D

IMO, UNSW FCE's strengths lie in finance, actuarial science, accounting and applied economics in emerging markets (eg. retirement economics, energy economics). I'm sure there are others I've missed out on.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
seremify007 said:
I'm just glad that UNSW Asia can steal away some of the fobtacular students from coming over here.
UNSW Asia could be a flop.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Don't jynx us... I don't want more fobs than we need.

Btw does anyone have any idea on costs of studying at UNSW Asia? I'm curious if it's much cheaper (for the course alone) to study there.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
lol, looking at the majors options for UNSW Asia's BCommerce

- Accounting
- Finance

typical

epsilon

HSC
Ok now, there seem to be a lot of fob-bashing going on around here, and since I'm Asian, I just wanna clarify a few things first. I just wanna know, by referring to fobs, are you are referring to just international students or generally Asians as well?

If it's the former, even though not very pleasent, it's still borderline acceptable (since they might really not understand you, due to language differences). However, if you're referring Australian-born Asians as fobs as well, then I think that that's just not on man.

I know of many Asian-Australians in UNSW, so I think it's kinda uncool to label UNSW as being 'Asian' just because many of them seem to go there for uni.

Last edited:

Raginsheep

HSC
Won't work. We watched a video in eco on globalisation, namely the outsourcing of call centre jobs to India and how Indians are trained to speak in "aussie lingo". Needless to say, it was pretty funny especially when they were taught "Australian" phrases that we had never heard of....

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
Clarification: FOBS

Why do so many ppl just keep complaining about "too many fobs at UNSW"?
I used to do that in first year, but I went and sought professional help . . .

http://www.funkypages.com/chinese/

Now I feel great, and I can communicate effectively with everyone on campus! (without a translator)

Numero Uno

HSC
Re: Clarification: FOBS

mr_shittles said:
Why do so many ppl just keep complaining about "too many fobs at UNSW"?
I used to do that in first year, but I went and sought professional help . . .

http://www.funkypages.com/chinese/

Now I feel great, and I can communicate effectively with everyone on campus! (without a translator)
lol wtf that sites hilarious , all these random quotes
ill be using some of those phrases in comm classes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)