USYD DFEE Law vs UTS CSP Law >.> (1 Viewer)

Demandred

HSC
Triangulum said:
You're going to be working at Mallesons, you've been studying law for years and you don't know the name of the firm?

Mallesons Stephen Jaques, not Mallesons Stephes and Jacques.
Please get that stick surgically removed from your arse. Congrats on getting into MSJ Monzi :).

I recommend that you do HECS combined law degree and then transfer, unless you're really really rich. There's two windows for transferring, when you finish your first year, and when you completed your non-law degree component (graduate law).

Just a side note, a grad law application requires less strenuous GPA/WAM than first year transfers, usually around a mid 90s UAI (which you already exceed) and a GPA around the high credit/distinction range. First year transfers requires about a mid-high 90s UAI and a distinction average to be competitive.

Last edited:

monzi

HSC
Triangulum said:
Hey, nitpicking is my hobby, don't knock it.
Does it really matter? Stop being so picky. This is my first position I'm happy with, I've been working at a suburban law firm for more then a year and a half, so this is welcome change.

The people I've met so far when I went for my job interview were absolutely lovely! Great offices, great environment, great people.

Good Luck to everybody!

xxJTxx

HSC
Demandred said:
Please get that stick surgically removed from your arse. Congrats on getting into MSJ Monzi :).

I recommend that you do HECS combined law degree and then transfer, unless you're really really rich. There's two windows for transferring, when you finish your first year, and when you completed your non-law degree component (graduate law).

Just a side note, a grad law application requires less strenuous GPA/WAM than first year transfers, usually around a mid 90s UAI (which you already exceed) and a GPA around the high credit/distinction range. First year transfers requires about a mid-high 90s UAI and a distinction average to be competitive.
I don't understand how this graduate law thing works. So I'd still go to Law/Business at UTS, and then change when I finish the business degree? Even though i would have already finished a bit of the law degree? Please explain!

Last edited:

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
xxJTxx said:
I don't understand how this graduate law thing works. So I'd still go to Law/Business at UTS, and then change when I finish the business degree? Even though i would have already finished a bit of the law degree? Please explain!
Doing a bit of the law degree would give you a few subjects to get advanced standing for at USyd. This means you may be exempt from completing some subjects, and you can finish your degree faster.

I say you should just start both at UTS, if you like it there why change? If you don't, change to USyd (for a CSP).

xxJTxx

HSC
poloktim said:
Doing a bit of the law degree would give you a few subjects to get advanced standing for at USyd. This means you may be exempt from completing some subjects, and you can finish your degree faster.

I say you should just start both at UTS, if you like it there why change? If you don't, change to USyd (for a CSP).
as a graduate? (add that to your last sentence)

or just as a normal transfer at the end of first yr? cause you only have one chance.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
monzi said:
Hahahahaha! You are very pretencious. I'm starting a new position at Mallesons Stephes and Jacques in February and I go to UTS.

Don't generalise, USYD and UNSW is not the be all and end all of a law degree.

Brainwashed I say.
Im not pretentious, im not even a law student.

I didnt say they are the be all and end all of a law degree.

Gee, you'll make a fantastic lawyer, cant spell, wrong grammar, and putting words into my mouth.

Have fun at 'Mallesons Stephes and Jacques'

xxJTxx

HSC
okay. well as expected, no miracles.

got the two offers i thought i would.

i) uts csp law/business
ii) usyd dfee combined law

decisions decisions.

these are my three options:

1) accept the dfee now and not take the gamble of not making the transfer, only losing money every yr im at usyd
2) accept uts, work my ASS off this yr and try for ABOVE a distinction average while at uts (i think easier to achieve than when at usyd..because the calibre of students at uts is lower..)
3) go to uts, do law/business and after completing the business component of the degree, apply as a graduate to usyd.

now i just got off the phone with the law faculty at usyd. he told me this year was harder than ever for transferees..he said there were heaps of people who met the minimum requirement of uai, and had a distinction average, and still missed out on the transfer..because of the calibre of the graduating clalss of 07. apparently this trend is going to continue. hence why i wrote above, id need above a distinction average for first yr at uts.

i've completed the six step enrolment process online for uts..which will be void if i dont go in and enrol. and usyd enrolment for me is on tues. so i basically have until tues to decide.

ahh i hate this. i dont know why im so hestitant to go to uts.

Last edited:

xxJTxx

HSC
I have decided to study as a CSP student at UTS. A number of reasons why..i'll edit later for future people who may have been interested in reading this thread and making a similar decision to what I have made.

UTS here i come! :D

P.S thanks for everyone that put their two cents in for this thread! i really do appreciate it. its a tough choice deciding for uni..and it helps when you get other people's opinions. ultimately, i have found..you can talk to 100000 people..but in the end, you have to make your own decision..go with your gut..and do what you think will reward you most! :)

footyfan19

HSC
I was in a very similar position to yourself, but a year earlier (finished 2006).

My UAI was 98.3 so I obviously couldn't do CSP law at Usyd but I could do full fee paying. However, I was never really set on doing law at this stage so I dismissed the latter option.

I selected Commerce at Usyd for first yr study. I aimed to achieve a D average and I achieved it (albeit only just). I then applied to transfer to CSP law after 1st yr study. I made the cut. Like you mentioned, it was extremely competitive this yr thanks to your awesome cohort! In fact, I only scraped into Usyd Law CSP in the Late Round!!!! Fortunate, huh?

I am pleased to learn that you didn't accept Usyd law DFEE as there is the possibility of being locked into annual payments which are incredibily expensive, over the duration of the 5 yr course.

In fact, I have been told that you have as much chance transferring from say a Commerce degree to Law CSP as from Law DFEE to Law CSP. And consider the risk you take of the latter option. Now, I know that sounds ridiculous but do you think the Uni is in any rush to transfer a full fee paying student to the same couse (within the same uni!) without the full fees??

I only hoped that you considered the path that I took: do a degree at Usyd, work hard then apply to transfer after 1st yr. If you miss out, do graduate law at Usyd later on which is much easier to transfer into to.

However, I am still VERY optimistic about your decision. Univerisities love to attract high performing students (like yourself) from rival univerisities. So, with your impressive UAI and an above D average at UTS, I cannot understand why they wouldnt refuse entry for you into CSP Usyd Law after 1st yr.

Best wishes for your 1st yr of Uni. Have a good time and work hard! Don't be discouraged if your grades in Semester 1 are not as fruitful as you had hoped for. I assure you, you will do much better in Semester 2 as you learn HOW to prepare for Uni assessments more efficiently (and understand what is required of you). You might be thinking "yeah yeah..blah blah" (as did I) but it is the truth.

Hope to see you roaming the corridors of the new USYD Law faculty one day, if you haven't already decided to stay with UTS (which, of course, will treat you very well too). Oh and by the way, awesome work with the UAI considering the nature of the subjects you took. Very impressed.

Adam

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)