USYD Economics V UNSW Economics (1 Viewer)

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
So, I'm wanting to do Economics or Economics/Law at university, and due to the location and my impressions of the universities themselves I've narrowed my choices down to USYD or UNSW.

From what I've heard said about these universities respective faculties, the majority seem to agree that:

USYD Arts & Social Sciences > UNSW Arts & Social Sciences
UNSW Commerce/Business > USYD Commerce/Business

Now, at USYD, the Economics school is within the Arts faculty, but at UNSW, it is within the Business faculty (or at least I think it is, correct me if I'm wrong). And I'm also pretty sure the 2010 ATAR cutoff for USYD Economics was a decent amount higher than UNSW (which I know is not a definite measure of superiority, but it must be right to some extent, right?)

So with all points considered, I'm still not sure what university is better for a Bachelor of Economics in particular. What do you think?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I'd say UNSW. Economics is kinda Business-y anyway... so really, this is kinda a non-contest.

I think it's generally agreed that UNSW has the best Business school in Australia, anyway.

HSC
Uni Grad
So, I'm wanting to do Economics or Economics/Law at university, and due to the location and my impressions of the universities themselves I've narrowed my choices down to USYD or UNSW.

From what I've heard said about these universities respective faculties, the majority seem to agree that:

USYD Arts & Social Sciences > UNSW Arts & Social Sciences
UNSW Commerce/Business > USYD Commerce/Business

Now, at USYD, the Economics school is within the Arts faculty, but at UNSW, it is within the Business faculty (or at least I think it is, correct me if I'm wrong). And I'm also pretty sure the 2010 ATAR cutoff for USYD Economics was a decent amount higher than UNSW (which I know is not a definite measure of superiority, but it must be right to some extent, right?)

So with all points considered, I'm still not sure what university is better for a Bachelor of Economics in particular. What do you think?
If you can't decide, look at the subjects they offer. Are there a lot of compulsory subjects or are a lot of them flexible? Also determine uni travelling times and transport costs, as well as the social life in both unis.

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
I'd say UNSW. Economics is kinda Business-y anyway... so really, this is kinda a non-contest.

I think it's generally agreed that UNSW has the best Business school in Australia, anyway.
Isn't that based on postgraduate studies (i.e. MBAs)?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Isn't that based on postgraduate studies (i.e. MBAs)?
To be honest, I am not sure - but from what I've heard and a little bit of bias as well, I'll assume it means 'undergraduate and postgraduate'

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
To be honest, I am not sure - but from what I've heard and a little bit of bias as well, I'll assume it means 'undergraduate and postgraduate'
It's just that having a look around at Business School rankings, the only thing referenced as a measure is postgraduate qualifications.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I don't think it's based on rankings though, it's the general vibe and 'street-cred' of the course.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
UNSW always better for business, also they have less internationals

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
choose USYD, UNSW is shit in Economics and USYD is ranked higher

a037422944

HSC
Uni Grad
Personally, I think the reason why economics and metrics were moved to the arts faculty was because of international students. They were generating a lot of revenue for the business school and by doing this they can extend this benefit to the arts faculty.

sauce2k

HSC
ok,..if u ever have the chance to change ur selection..do it..

Economics is good if u do it as one of ur majors but choose it as ur degree..

Do Commerce ..but major in finance and accounting..

I did economics @unsw and i think its completely bs. Unless u want to become a hardcore economist, dont bother do economics.. the only advantage of doing economcis as a major is that it really opens up ur mind..i mean like the way u think.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)