USYD internet access (1 Viewer)

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
I was just wondering where is the best place on campus to get internet access? Also do you have to pay /downloads or anything like that?

Generator

HSC
N/A
Asquithian, any visitor can apply for a temporary log-in identity to access the internet through a library (http://www.library.usyd.edu.au/about/workstations4.html).

Absolution, as an Economics and Business student you will be given access to their own computer network (which has open net access, I believe). Apart from that... The Access labs only provide you with a very low download limit for free.

Last edited:

Generator

HSC
N/A
Bah, I didn't know about that... Oh well, at least the information should be useful to someone else.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Generator said:
Asquithian, any visitor can apply for a temporary log-in identity to access the internet through a library (http://www.library.usyd.edu.au/about/workstations4.html).

Absolution, as an Economics and Business student you will be given access to their own computer network (which has open net access, I believe). Apart from that... The Access labs only provide you with a very low download limit for free.
Ok. And where can i access the computers as an Eco and Bus student?

Generator

HSC
N/A
Somewhere in the Merewether builiding (you should be told sometime next week, or you could just wait till another Eco and Bus student comes along).

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
Weirdly, they're all in one long row, and you have to stand up using them (this is on the bottom level of merewether). I would have thought there'd be a room for them, but nope, its just one common corridor.

lbft

Geek
HSC
The access labs (e.g. level 2 of Fisher or Carslaw) allow you to download 42mb of data outside the USyd network for free per week, which is more than enough for web pages (but for file downloads you might need to pay.) If you run out of free data, then you can pay for it at 4.6c/Mb (International,) 3.3c/Mb (Australia) etc. Prices are here.

Also, you can access the web for free on the library computers (e.g. level 3 of Fisher) without a quota.

Some teaching departments also have their own computer labs (e.g. IT gives you internet access, but you have to be careful because there's a quota on it.)

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
2nd on lbft's comment... fisher lvl3 gives free internet access... just that durin semester time, it's usually queued... and only 15 access...

the it ones (nxt to the standin ones) does not allow u to access outside servers...

econ/buz require u to pay i believe... not sure abt the prices but quite dearly i believe....

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
heh, i guess i wont be spending much time BOSing at uni in between lectures then.. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)