USYD JD v. UniMelb JD (1 Viewer)

Sophie20489

HSC
N/A
Hi everyone I'm currently facing a life altering decision. I have been accepted into both unimelb and usyd JD programs however usyd has offered me a csp whereas unimelb has offered a bursary (only worth 15k so nothing really on a csp). Because of this I am leaning towards usyd JD but am not sure whether I would be 'selling myself short' going to usyd (as unimelb admin manager so eloquently put it when I spoke to her) when it comes to applying for work (in particular to top tier firms) if I accept any where other than unimelb. As I'm not from Sydney (I completed my ugrad at unimelb) and I don't know much about usyds JD I was wondering if anyone could provide any feedback on the Sydney JD in terms of quality of teaching, class sizes, number of students accepted into usyd JD, student support and also whether it is considered top quality legal degree by firms in NSW? I'm really struggling to make this choice so any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Yechan

HSC
N/A
Go melbourne.

Melbourne is ranked 5th in the whole world for law..

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
Go melbourne.

Melbourne is ranked 5th in the whole world for law..
those rankings seem to be determined by the price of the degree... I personally haven't seen many Melbourne Uni law graduates practising...

It's just from what I have seen and heard...

Also, in order to do a JD, you need to have already completed a non law degree...

Yechan

HSC
N/A
those rankings seem to be determined by the price of the degree... I personally haven't seen many Melbourne Uni law graduates practising...

It's just from what I have seen and heard...

Also, in order to do a JD, you need to have already completed a non law degree...
Melbourne is ranked 5th in the world in law. I am just stating a fact.

D.

Blurg!
HSC
N/A
Melbourne is ranked 5th. Sydney is ranked 10th. You're well served either way, and both degrees are regarded as top-notch. If you want to practice in NSW, then USyd will have better contacts with firm offices in NSW and with the Bar. I imagine the same is true for Melbourne Uni in Victoria.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Sophie20489

HSC
N/A
Thankyou everyone. Blurg! Where did you find these ranking and also I see that you did your JD at usyd? Can you vouch for it as far as quality of teaching? Networking opportunities with the legal community and also student support when it comes to things like applying for clerkships etc?... JD kids say these things are top notch at unimelb so I'm just wondering about Sydney students...

peri24

HSC
Thankyou everyone. Blurg! Where did you find these ranking and also I see that you did your JD at usyd? Can you vouch for it as far as quality of teaching? Networking opportunities with the legal community and also student support when it comes to things like applying for clerkships etc?... JD kids say these things are top notch at unimelb so I'm just wondering about Sydney students...
here are da rankings:
http://www.topuniversities.com/univ...y-subject-rankings/2013/law-and-legal-studies

usyd accordin to my fwend said law der is awesome.

if u r planin to stay in nsw den pick usyd, if vic den melb. it's all bout contacts.

D.

Blurg!
HSC
N/A
The teaching quality is excellent overall. There are one or two lecturers there who aren't so good, but that's true of anywhere.
The Law Society on campus is very helpful for clerkships and regularly organises seminars to help with applications.
Networking opportunities are also great. You'll find a lot of students who have gotten part time jobs with their lecturers (either as research assistants, or in their legal practices if they have one).

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)