Usyd or unsw? (1 Viewer)

Nivi7

HSC
from what I've heard, unsw and usyd have almost identical law courses but unsw is slightly better for commerce and usyd has a greater edge on prestige.

my opinion, just go to da uni which is easier to get to.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
from what I've heard, unsw and usyd have almost identical law courses

my opinion, just go to da uni which is easier to get to.
Sounds like sensible advice.

Although I've been hearing around BoS that UWS > Harvard.

Nivi7

HSC
Although I've been hearing around BoS that UWS > Harvard.
yeah and pigs can fly:)

newayz, what's so good abt Harvard law school??? my cousin went to law at harvard and he walks around with his nose up in uranus. looks like Harvard only makes pretentious know-it-alls!

Last edited:

DaGizza

HSC
yeah and pigs can fly:)

newayz, what's so good abt Harvard law school??? my cousin went to law at harvard and he walks around with his nose up in uranus. looks like Harvard only makes pretentious know-it-alls!
Well prestige = arrogance but it also = reputation + respect + money. Moreover in theory at least, the "elite" unis like Harvard, Oxford and to a lesser extent in Australia USYD should attract higher quality teachers as well as the brighter students. This means newer unis are stuck in a cycle of crapness where they recruit worse teaching staff and relatively more stupid students.

It is not their fault they are stuck in this cycle. For some reason society seems to value the past more than the present and future.

lionking1191

HSC
law's about equal. unsw has australia's 2nd best business school tho

in the end things like transport and student atmosphere is worth far more note than superficial rankings and such. they are both good unis, don't think too hard on it..

coopert

HSC
Personally, I'd go UNSW. Both are easily on par with each other in terms of education and employment prospects. It just all depends on your own circumstances (Which Uni is closer, which Campus you prefer, etc). So you are free to judge superficially lol On the surface, where it counts! haha. Both have similar cut-offs (99+?), and both are highly regarded within Australia, so it's just down to where you prefer. I'm all for Team UNSW, but that's just me lol

I just think that all of this building up of USyd as 'prestigious' is kind of funny. They're trying to recreate their own mini-Harvard, but to no avail. Ask anyone overseas, and they will know nothing of either USyd or Melb for that matter. It's a just a case of a small community trying to desperately create their own reputation of 'elitism' and 'prestige' by methods of exclusion. The only Australian institution that is even remotely compareable to the United States' 'Ivy League' is in fact 'ANU' (But that's in Canberra, and who in their right mind would ever want to live there!? haha)

lionking1191

HSC
The only Australian institution that is even remotely compareable to the United States' 'Ivy League' is in fact 'ANU' (But that's in Canberra, and who in their right mind would ever want to live there!? haha)
that's based on research output etc. which in reality has very little to do with us undergraddies

lou071

HSC
N/A
my teacher graduated usyd law and he told me that he choise usyd as it is prestigeous for law school despite unsw has very similar courses

lionking1191

HSC
my teacher graduated usyd law and he told me that he choise usyd as it is prestigeous for law school despite unsw has very similar courses
if that's why he chose usyd, id say tahts probably the reason why he's a teacher :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)