Usyd question (1 Viewer)

serge

HSC
ive been hearing about all these weird stories that the usyd cut-offs arent really cut-offs...
for example that the 'cut-off' mark they show is an average of the people in that course, so even if you dont get the mark, if you get close to that mark you can get in...
is that true?

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
serge said:
ive been hearing about all these weird stories that the usyd cut-offs arent really cut-offs...
for example that the 'cut-off' mark they show is an average of the people in that course, so even if you dont get the mark, if you get close to that mark you can get in...
is that true?
Although i dont do it, no.

UTS have been known to do it. But surely not USYD. :cool:

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
serge said:
is that true?
The "cut off" rank for any round of offers is the lowest UAI of a person to whom an offer was made in that round.

If the HECS/Comm Supported main round cut off is stated at, say, 99.6, then that means, of all the people to whom an offer was made in the main round, the person with the lowest UAI had a UAI of 99.6

HOWEVER:
The main round cut off is not the only cut off, it is merely the one that receives most attention because the main round is the round in which the vast majority of students receive their offers. There are also cut offs for

* Main round full fee
* Late round HECS/Comm. Supported
* Late round full fee
* Final round HECS/Comm. Supported
* Final round full fee

These other cut offs may be higher or lower than the main round HECS/Comm Supported cut off.

Furthermore, you must remember that there are some students who receive offers under special schemes, such as flexible entry.

So, in answer to your question, there is a greater range of UAIs than the published main round HECS/Comm Supp cut off would suggest. However, the majority of students did receive UAIs higher than 99.6.

If your UAI does not fall above the main round HECS/CSP cut off, you may still get in another way, such as a different offer round (but sometimes these later rounds can see higher cut offs for law), through the full-fee option or under a flexible entry scheme. :)

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
its possible they might accept someone below the UAIcut off though
its up to the uni

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
Out of interest, gordo, or anyone else who knows, how many students actually do combined engineering/law at USyd? In three years of Arts/Law, I can't recall ever meeting any in my seminars ... The workload, I would imagine, would be rather extreme ... :)

santaslayer

HSC
absolution* said:
Although i dont do it, no.

UTS have been known to do it. But surely not USYD. :cool:
Why not?

Universities have been known to publish exaggerated cutoffs. I'm not sure for Law though, since USYD would not have a major problem attracting students who obtained a 99.60 in their UAI.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
santaslayer said:
Why not?

Universities have been known to publish exaggerated cutoffs. I'm not sure for Law though, since USYD would not have a major problem attracting students who obtained a 99.60 in their UAI.
Yeah, and the fact that the cutoff rose to 99.65 is testament to that.

santaslayer

HSC
absolution* said:
Yeah, and the fact that the cutoff rose to 99.65 is testament to that.
OK, 99.65. I'm still in 2003. Sorry. :p

But you don't think it was very suggestive when the cutoff stood the same in the late round whilst all other cutoffs from other unis skyrocketed?

How do you interpret that?

I might go find Asqy's interpretation if I can. Lolz.

horderjack

HSC
so if i got 99.45 n the cut-off last year was 99.55, wat do u think my chances are?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)