USYD Scholarships (1 Viewer)

PhiL

Hey does anyone know the process for usyd scholarships. I put in one of those 1 page personal achievement things but what happens next. Are there in interviews or anything and when do u reckon you find out. Also does anyone know what the chances are of getting a faculty scholarship - are they just for marks mainly, or allround

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
PhiL said:
Hey does anyone know the process for usyd scholarships. I put in one of those 1 page personal achievement things but what happens next. Are there in interviews or anything and when do u reckon you find out. Also does anyone know what the chances are of getting a faculty scholarship - are they just for marks mainly, or allround

this is all in the undergraduate scholarship booklet - it's on the usyd scholarship website...
but since i'm already here... *whips out scholarship booklet*
they'll let you know they got your scholarship application by 29th october, and if you haven't received acknowlegement by then, you should go ring the scholarships unit.
apparently, if you get it, you'll be notified by mail after 17th December (our hsc results!! :S)
and as for the faculty scholarships, i'm not sure, but there's a whole lot of them, they'd be easier to get than the usyd undergraduate scholarship itself.
which faculty did you apply for? i applied for economics and commerce...

good luck!

PhiL

Yeh i applied for the faculty of Ecos and Bus. too.

But does anyone know if there are interviews or is kinda straight up yes or no.

Plebeian

All the undergraduate scholarships are assessed by the faculties... ie. the heads give each faculty a certain amount of ug scholarships they are allowed to award, and then the faculties give them out in whatever way they think is best (like arts probably pays more attention to public speaking and such, science might look at science olympiad representation etc.). Some faculties have interviews as part of this process, I think arts and science do, not sure about others. After all that, if they decide not to give you a ug scholarship they still might give you one of their other faculty scholarships.

shazzam

acta est fabula
HSC
Hey I received a letter today that said "you are being considered for the faculty scholarship that you applied for, we will inform you of the outcome after we receive results of your HSC". Well, something close to that. Does everyone who applies get this?

Is this the end of the process? Is UAI the only considerable factor that remains? The faculty is Science.

Fire Sprite

Shazzam, i applied for faculty of arts and got exactly the same letter so yeah its just in the hands of the UAI and the impression they get of our application, but the scholarship was based on UAI performance

shazzam

acta est fabula
HSC
hmm, that may or may not work in my favour.

Do you know whether many many people got this, or do you only get it if they like your personal statement etc?

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
i think there are only a few scholarships available, around 100?? maybe

stevenwong86

Yeah I got that letter too, it probably just a letter to confirm your application.

I didnt see any mention of interview or anything like that anywhere, so I was under the impression that uai and application were the only two determining factors. I maybe wrong though =P

mozzie

HSC
Does any one knwo of ppl who actually got an interview cause i would love to find out what the structure is....given that i even get the uai needed..

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
i dont think they give interviews for scholarships. i think some faculties do but not all.

tintin

HSC
well, i just got a call today saying i've got an interview for a scholarship (faculty of science).

kind of scary, since i've never been for any interviews before - sad but true.

does anyone have any idea what they might ask?

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
i reckon they'll ask what u want to do with ur degree, maybe why you want to go to usyd instead of other unis, why they should give u the scholarship, what you can give to the uni and your faculty and what other stuff you do in life apart from study?? just some guesses

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
probably hobbies, i've done a few of these interviews for like bs colleges n stuff... and usually they ask you like 'what do you wanna do', which is a tough question...

nit

HSC
Yeh, I got one of those faculty of science calls too. I didn't realise there would be interviews associated with the procedure. Does this mean that we're automatically discounted for those usyd all-round scholarships or not?

tintin

HSC
i thought there were no 'open' scholarships as such, that they were all allocated to and awarded by the faculties.

shazzam

acta est fabula
HSC
My understanding is:
You get an automatic $5000 scholarship if you get 99.95 or 100. Then there are scholrships of distinction for >98 and credit for >95.
I don't think you're strictly excluded from the faculty scholarships if you get one of the above.

Also not-that-bright, Howard is not exactly left wing...

nit

HSC
Oh yes, forgot about those $5k thingies for 99.95 or 100 UAI. *Dreams for a second*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)