• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

USyd UNSW JD 2015 (1 Viewer)

JDer

HSC
N/A
Hi all,

I'm planning to apply for the Juris Doctor program at USyd or UNSW in 2015 and have some questions for current JD students.

If anyone was accepted into one of these programs in 2014 could you please share your ATAR, GPA and whether you received a CSP or full-fee place? (Results that prompted offers in earlier years are also welcome.)

I have an ATAR of 98.6% and a GPA of 5.69%.

Has anyone successfully transferred across from full-fee paying to CSP?

Also, has anyone taken up any of the exchange options or the Oxbridge pathways for either of these universities?

I'd appreciate any other insights or advice you can offer.

Cheers.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't do it, just do an LLB double with either: Business or a plan B like engineering if you manage to become unemployable...

Do you have a degree in something else??? If not, can't do JD... JD's are expensive and get you to the same place any way... $100,000 for a JD, or, $40-60k for an LLB for the same qualification... it speaks for itself... you can get a double done for about $80K as well...

Last edited:

JDer

HSC
N/A
Thanks for your input wannaspoon. The JD is only $10K a year if you are accepted into a Commonwealth supported place, and I have two undergraduate degrees already so there is no need for me to chase another. As a side point, the USyd and UNSW no longer offer LLBs.

Can anyone who is currently enrolled in the JD at either of these universities please help with my questions above?

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
As a side point, the USyd and UNSW no longer offer LLBs.
That seems to be the trend universally... Universities are just being money hungry pricks... ATAR doesn't count for diddly squat for post graduate applications... They are usually looking for a distinction average from your other university degree (they say they do, in reality, they don't give two shits about it)...

(This is from when I was curious about JD, however, decided to go with an LLB... Which was about 3 years ago...)

No CSP for post graduate courses, you apply for a full fee course, get accepted, then apply for FEE-HELP (in other words, same as HECS, just under a different banner and easier to get... FEE-HELP is also capped, not 100% sure on the amount, it's approximately at $100k, from what I am aware of... Although, that amount might be going down with the LNP's university reforms)...

It's a lot easier to get into JD than an LLB (Because you don't have to go through the tertiary admissions departments and all, you can just apply directly, and, chances are, you will get in)... Trouble is, it's phenomenally expensive...

Last edited:

JDer

HSC
N/A
Thanks wannaspoon,

It's probably worth pointing out that both USyd and UNSW offer Commonwealth supported places (HECS) and full-fee paying places (FEE HELP) for the JD program, and that these courses are included on Australia's list of approved HECS courses providing you receive a CSP offer. You can refer to this Commonwealth link for more information: http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2013C01032

Also, both universities require you to apply through NSW and ACT's independent tertiary admissions centre UAC. You can't apply directly through either university.

Your ATAR score carries 25% weighting in a USyd application while your GPA makes up the other 75%.

Cheers.

Last edited:

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks wannaspoon,

It's probably worth pointing out that both USyd and UNSW offer Commonwealth supported places (HECS) and full-fee paying places (FEE HELP) for the JD program, and that these courses are included on Australia's list of approved HECS courses providing you receive a CSP offer. You can refer to this Commonwealth link for more information: http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2013C01032

Also, both universities require you to apply through NSW and ACT's independent tertiary admissions centre UAC. You can't apply directly through either university.

Your ATAR score carries 25% weighting in a USyd application while your GPA makes up the other 75%.

Cheers.
WOW! things have really changed since I was applying, for the good, I must stress... the more you know, I guess...

gemza49

HSC
Hey JDer

I've applied for both UNSW and USyd for 2015. My undergrad results were 79WAM/3.6 GPA/6.3GPA and my VCE ATAR was 92.80. Not sure if I'll let get on CSP or not. What was your undergrad in?

Sorry I can't help with your questions but interested to hear how you go :)

JDer

HSC
N/A
Hi gemgem49

Your GPA is pretty good so I'd say you have a good chance of getting an offer at both universities. To answer your question, I have undergraduate degrees in Journalism and Communications and I have a grad cert in Commerce.

I've heard that UNSW takes your combined GPA from all completed degrees whereas USyd takes only your GPA from your best degree. Have you heard this also? If USyd calculates only my best degree my GPA would be well over 6 so I'm hoping there is truth to this rumour.

Did you receive an email from USyd yesterday about your offer? I'm hoping this is a good sign but on the other hand it looks like a generic email sent to all applicants.

gemza49

HSC
Hi JDer

I did receive an email on the 6th. Was very misleading! I thought I was going to be made an offer, haha.

I have heard that about USYD yes. I'd give them a call to confirm though :)

I received a CSP place for UNSW JD a few weeks ago which I think I prefer over USYD. However, I will probably end up deferring it for a year. As much as I want to start ASAP I'm in the middle of a grad program. I'm not really enjoying the program very much but I feel like I should stick it out :( Such tough decisions.

Hopefully we should hear from USYD in a couple of weeks! Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Being on the APS gravy train and thinking of doing a JD...

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Hi JDer

I did receive an email on the 6th. Was very misleading! I thought I was going to be made an offer, haha.

I have heard that about USYD yes. I'd give them a call to confirm though :)

I received a CSP place for UNSW JD a few weeks ago which I think I prefer over USYD. However, I will probably end up deferring it for a year. As much as I want to start ASAP I'm in the middle of a grad program. I'm not really enjoying the program very much but I feel like I should stick it out :( Such tough decisions.

Hopefully we should hear from USYD in a couple of weeks! Good luck.
How'd you get results so quick thought they were out mid january =/

gemza49

HSC
Hi isildurrrr1, I'm not sure how the offers work. I know there are early offers for USYD and ANU in December but I think UNSW must release staggered offers.

elly7572

HSC
Hi isildurrrr1, I'm not sure how the offers work. I know there are early offers for USYD and ANU in December but I think UNSW must release staggered offers.
Did you put UNSW as your first preference?

My marks are 95, and 81 WAM and I put down Usyd as my first preference and UNSW as my second and i haven't heard anything back. Maybe I haven't heard anything from UNSW because I will only be considered if I fail to receive a Usyd offer in the main rounds.

gemza49

HSC
Did you put UNSW as your first preference?

My marks are 95, and 81 WAM and I put down Usyd as my first preference and UNSW as my second and i haven't heard anything back. Maybe I haven't heard anything from UNSW because I will only be considered if I fail to receive a Usyd offer in the main rounds.
Haha I think we are also talking on Whirlpool forums :p

Just wanted to update OP and say I got a CSP offer for USyd today! Good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)