• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

usyd vs unimelb for arts (1 Viewer)

philphie

Banned
HSC
i live in sydney so just wanted to see what you think. also what is the rent in Parkville like, studio/sharehouse? do you have any non religious affiliated residential colleges? too late to apply? what's the 'personality' of each residential college?

sorry about the multiple threads

dolbinau

HSC
Just go to Sydney, omg. You live in Sydney. Please, for undergraduate Arts there is no need to go to Melbourne.

danielvh

HSC
I disagree. Personally, from my year abroad in the UK where I stayed at a college I'd say it's such an awesome experience on so many levels (sense of community, academic support, things to get involved in, living close to campus etc etc etc) that I'd recommend that anyone stay at a college.

I'm not saying you should necessarily go to UMelb, but keep in mind the option of going to a college in Sydney too.

If it were me, I'd find Arts at USyd and UMelb to be a very tough decision in terms of the unis. I'd choose based on other factors such as friends, which city I preferred and so on.

philphie

Banned
HSC
well i can make friends anywhere and i already have friends down in Melbourne in Canterbury. melbourne as a city and getting my way around i'm very familiar with. probably the main drive to go to melbourne is at least this way i can actually move out. no point living on campus at usyd when it takes me like 10-15 minutes to walk there.

i guess i'll have another look at the course and units

danielvh

HSC
I'd go to Melbourne then if you wouldn't move out in Sydney. Really, for most people, college is an amazing experience. This mainly comes from a UK perspective where most people move out to stay in colleges. I'd imagine it'd apply here though.

philphie

Banned
HSC
no not really, usyd is the only university in nsw i think that has multiple colleges so people tend to stay at home. plus university's aren't that far from where most people live, i don't know how far a place like Oxford/Cambridge would be from places like Mayfair, Yorkshire, Sheffield or whatever.

danielvh

HSC
no not really, usyd is the only university in nsw i think that has multiple colleges so people tend to stay at home. plus university's aren't that far from where most people live, i don't know how far a place like Oxford/Cambridge would be from places like Mayfair, Yorkshire, Sheffield or whatever.
Yeah, I know most people here don't go to live in a college.

What I was saying would probably apply would be that it would be a great experience.

danielvh

HSC
Yeah, I know most people here don't go to live in a college.

What I was saying would probably apply would be that it would be a great experience.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)