USYD vs UNSW for Bachelor of COMMERCE (1 Viewer)

USYD vs UNSW for Bachelor of COMMERCE

• USYD

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • UNSW

Votes: 59 75.6%

• Total voters

dylansaunders

HSC
So, I am applying for uni's in two days, and after a lot of research and time, i have found it difficult to make a decision regarding which uni is better for a bCom; USYD or UNSW.

So far this is what I have gathered

USYD
  • More convenient location
  • Better Campus
  • Better Social Life
  • New degree structure, as of 2012 – Apparently now better then UNSW's, but not to sure about this.
UNSW
  • Better Teaching Staff
  • Better Employment opportunities
  • More 'Practical' University (Has mock Business set-up task's etc)
If anyone can add or edit this and explain which Uni is better, i think it would be very helpful to many people who are currently very confused

Cheers

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Are you free tomorrow?

May I suggest going to the Info Days for both universities?

You could go to the "mini-lecture" the USYD Business School is running between 10am-11am and then go to the mini-lecture being run at UNSW between 1:30pm-2:00pm?

dylansaunders

HSC
Are you free tomorrow?

May I suggest going to the Info Days for both universities?

You could go to the "mini-lecture" the USYD Business School is running between 10am-11am and then go to the mini-lecture being run at UNSW between 1:30pm-2:00pm?
So what do you think of the new USYD commerce course?

a037422944

HSC
Uni Grad
Really, I swear they are rather similar no matter what people say. If it is anything like last year... I would put UNSW in your first round and USYD in your second round.. as they still had spots in the second round for the same ATAR (and UNSW was full).. This would allow you to have even more time to make your decision but it is a little risky.

But that risk is further mitigated by the fact that you're not completely sold on either so it really wouldn't matter which you ended up doing anyway.

I think the usyd new commerce course (that being with less core units) is good in a way.. you're not obligated to study such things as marketing but at the same time it could also limit the scope that you study.. that being said, if youre interested in undertaking cadetships and whatnot i understand that the new course is convenien..

that being said.. i think theyre changing it a little further next year so i dont really know

hope this helped. probably will get told off by people for what i say.. but i think its pretty accurate

DaltonF

HSC
An analysis on the age old comparison of courses would reveal as much about the subjective decider and the objective facts facing him.

But with that I'll give you some guidelines on making a choice;

What do you want out of uni?
How wide is the difference between your choices (are you pretending to not know or are truly impartial)?

After that the rest is really upto you. If you are using this degree to be successful then it's upto you to take the initiative. By the time you reach a GO8 university, teaching standards, although whinged about by students, are pretty much standard, else they would be replaced. The course itself means, frankly, shit-all. Because this is nothing like highschool and the things you learn ultimately will not have any real baring on your skills thereafter.
Short-term it doesn't matter, either choice is going to be rationalised, else you'd transfer out. You're going to make friends regardless, the composition of said friends may vary but, again the onus is on you.
So ultimately, in the long term, you're simply paying for a certificate, whatever name you want on that certificate when you look at it in 30 years time I'd choose.

dylansaunders

HSC
What is the USYD business building like? I know the UNSW one is quite impressive, but there are not many pictures of the USYD commerce building on the net - Cheers

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
General consensus is UNSW among students

Seriously though, why does it matter? See which uni offers a more interesting life and appeal and pick that one

DaltonF

HSC
What is the USYD business building like? I know the UNSW one is quite impressive, but there are not many pictures of the USYD commerce building on the net - Cheers
Usyd has around 3-4 business buildings really. Definately not as impressive as UNSW's though. There's merewhether, storey dixson/the other half of it (can't remember), and the Busniess and economics building (essentially a computer lab). Main one though is merewhether.

Garygaz

HSC
pick the one where more of your friends are going to. you won't regret it.

Bendent

HSC
modern stuff (technological kind of degrees) <---- unsw

old stuff (law/arts kind of degrees) <---- syd

VIPPER

Aiiiiiiiii
HSC
CEEBS getting on another bus at central so I chose usyd.

tattoo2200

HSC
N/A
Trust me mate the girls at USYD are very very attractive ;) go there man it's the right choice. Also USYD has an international reputation so maybe you could go overseas to get a job. For example England (btw english girls are very attractive). But in the end it doesnt matter which degree you get but how well you do in it. I think if you do well enough in USyd i think they have exchange programs with ivy league colleges such as Univeristy of Pensylvania which has one of the best business schools in the world

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Trust me mate the girls at USYD are very very attractive ;) go there man it's the right choice. Also USYD has an international reputation so maybe you could go overseas to get a job. For example England (btw english girls are very attractive). But in the end it doesnt matter which degree you get but how well you do in it. I think if you do well enough in USyd i think they have exchange programs with ivy league colleges such as Univeristy of Pensylvania which has one of the best business schools in the world
Same shit. You can do a Wharton (UPenn) exchange from UNSW.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)