• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

UTAS Medicine (1 Viewer)

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Ive looked through the UTAS medicine booklet and would just like some confirmation to check i haven't read/understood it wrong.

1. Is it true that UTAS only has 38 places for medicine for school leavers?
2. And that they rank candidates by umat once they have got over 95 uai?
3. That would mean you would have to absolutely rip umat to get entry to UTAS.
4. Or isnt it that popular?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
UTas is extremely competitive. Don't think that a good UMAT will guarantee you a place or anything. ;)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Could you link me to this years prospectus? I remember (from last year) the requirement was 97+ and equal weight TER/UMAT, but I do remember they are changing the course next year so they may have changed the criteria.

M_I_K_E

HSC
N/A
There are only 5 places available for undergrad interstate students.

RyBo

HSC
yeah, if thats true I'm probably stuffed, I really want to go to UTAS. No chance if only 5 interstate places.
Sorry, but i Really really really hope your wrong.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
You mean "what's so bad about it?" As Lexi has stated before, there are no bad universities when it comes to medicine. Rybo, didn't you want to go to JCU? UTas would be a trek.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
well its new so there could be some glitches...but remember...the important thing in determining success is how you fare individually as a student.

RyBo

HSC
I basically would go to any uni in Australia. I live on the Gold Coast, so JCU is almost as far away as tassie. Also I have rellies in tassie (this is probably a good reason not to go :D ), and UTAS's old course has a really good rep as far as academic medicine goes. Of course this could change with the new course.

I can't really tell, but JCU does focus on tropical and aboriginal medicine, and I don't know how useful this would be for me anyway. Plus, getting in to JCU, well, lets just say it doesn't sound easy.

Last edited:

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
who_loves_maths said:
is UTAS the University of Tasmania? why go there? what's so good about it's medical program? haven't even heard of it...
That's all well and good, but who the hell are you anyway, and what do UTas care if you haven't heard of them?

It seems that anyone who has looked at the back of their UMAT booklet has heard of them, and all the med students are a given. As for those who are NOT interested in medicine...well, half of them still think that USyd is the undergrad medical school of choice. :rolleyes:

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
Utas has a good med course, HOWEVER, they're changing it for this year (?) to a 5 year program so nobody knows how good it'll be.

The old course (6years) is well recognised. It's just that it's too damn out of the way to goto unless you live in Tasmania :-\ and it's in the middle of nowhere.

M_I_K_E

HSC
N/A
Information from their Medicine Handbook. As for JCU, they don't take a lot of interstate/metro students either; students are mostly rural or from up north.

RyBo

HSC
hey Mike, any chance you could post a link to that handbook?
I have done a search but couldn't find anything that said 5 interstate places.

M_I_K_E

HSC
N/A
It's on the UTAS med website (a bit large to post up); go to the 'admissions' section for 'future students'. We belong to the A2 applicants (5 places available).

RyBo

HSC
this is an extract from the eMJA
Available From:
http://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/180_12_210604/letters_210604_fm-3.html -Scroll to bottom to find table

2: Interstate mobility (number of students attending medical school in another state — first-year Australian students, 2003)

State__________No. of students______________Total________(%)

SA_____________85________________________174_______(49%)
Tas__________25_______________________64______(39%)
Vic_____________82_________________________344________(24%)
Qld_____________62_________________________346________(18%)
NSW____________63_________________________446________(14%)
WA ____________14_________________________140________(10%)

National total ____331________________________1514________(22%)

So, at least in 2003, there was 25 places for interstate students, Maybe they've restricted it since then .
Sorry, formating lost in translation.

Last edited:

RyBo

HSC
half an hour later....... I downloaded the UTAS medicine handbook.

I agree with mike that interstate students are classed as A2 students, but the number of places for interstate was blanked out on the copy I downloaded.

Quote:

"Offers will be made in accordance with the target numbers for categories A, B and C.
The Tasmanian School of Medicine reserves the right to alter the number of available
places in each category. If the target number in category A, B or C is not attained
these places may be offered to students in another of these categories. Distribution of numbers between the categories for second round and subsequent offers will be made at the discretion of the School of Medicine Admissions Committee."

It is highly likely that mike is right though, as there are only 38 domestic places, 3 of which are for disadvantaged non-school leavers. 5 interstate and 30 tasmanian. Makes sense.

So in 2 years, UTAS has cut the number of interstate medical students by 4/5. Geez, they must have seen what happened in adelaide.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
good ole adelaide :)

muahaha
we dun have a quota.. its about the best applicant =D keeps integrity..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)