UTAS Medicine (1 Viewer)

M_I_K_E

HSC
N/A
Yes, the number is blanked out. My info was from 2004, then. Anyway, hope they increase the interstate quota this year.

I agree that discriminating against students from other states is unfair, but then again, QLD unis do that a bit, e.g. JCU med and UQ provisional med entry...etc.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
M_I_K_E said:
Yes, the number is blanked out. My info was from 2004, then. Anyway, hope they increase the interstate quota this year.

I agree that discriminating against students from other states is unfair, but then again, QLD unis do that a bit, e.g. JCU med and UQ provisional med entry...etc.
It's not so much a discrimination thing as a matter of practicality. UWA has very few offers to interstate candidates because (until this year) they were the ONLY medical school for this entire HALF of the country. Schools like UWA and UTas have a duty to train doctors most likely to stay within the state (where they are most desperately needed) rather than the ones who succumb to the tall buildings and glittering lights of Sydney and Melbourne (like me).

RyBo

HSC
i agree with you that these unis need to ensure they have enough doctors per head of pop. but allocating places for local students may not be the best way of doing it. At the end of the day, many doctors move after recieving their degree, both for personal reasons and spelcalty training. It's a bit hard to learn neurosurgery in downtown burnie (town in tassie).

Personally, I reckon to get doctors to come to or stay in a certain location, the conditions have to be impoved. Give rural doctors money to go to a couple of conferences every year, maybe even give them extra money because they are rural and improving medical facillites may also help.

Also, unis are federally funded, so all australian citizens should have equal access, but saying that would make me as bad as those bloodsucking lawyers.

But hey, the system works better than most, and I may get into JCU simply because they favour QLD students. I wont be complaining.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)