Utopia - help needed (1 Viewer)

Arkie

HSC
hey
got a listening task on monday about utopia
was wondering could any1 give me a solid list of quoets and a main run through of the plot

suzy11

HSC
u mean Utopia by thomas more? its been a while since i read it but essentially more addresses the problems inherent in elizabethan society (esp justice system) through introducing an imaginative island society called 'utopia' which he uses as a device to examine his view of an ideal/improved alternate to europeon society at the time.

Utopia = a combination of greek words meaning 'no place' & 'good place' (ironic) more seems to be hinting that such a place/society is impossible to achieve...

a good place to get info would be the sparknotes website- free and relatively comprehensive (yay!) they have some info on utopia: http://www.sparknotes.com/philosophy/more/index.html

* got to remember the context of more heavily influenced the text. it was a responce to society at his time and his values show through the text... e.g portrayal of women & foreigners while progressive for the time is now outdated. the cultural renass. europe was undergoing enabled an intellectual examination of contextual values.

uh, hope that helps :)

(damn, just realised its too late, o well hope someone finds it useful, this stuff is good background for anyone doing BNW/BR i guess..)

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Sparknotes helps. And I've got an essay on the Extension 1 section of the Resources page about Utopia. Just Ctrl + F Utopia

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)