Uts Accounting Scholarship (1 Viewer)

aditya

HSC
hey guys

Yeh im REALLY interested in this UTS scholarship, i knew about it in yr 10 so i decided to do Accounting at tafe for one of my hsc subjects (im in yr 12 now)... newaiz i went ok in that got 88.

What exatly do they look for? are they looking for 20% personality 20% leadership, extra circular activitees 50% m,otivation and 10% uai??

does that sound about right?

could someone plz give me an outline of some activitiies that i should do... which will siginifcantly incerase my chances of getting in??/

thank u

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
88 is pretty good! =). I did Accounting at TAFE as well, back in 2000-2001.

I went for the interview back in 2001 (for 2002 intake). I didn't make it in mainly because of my UAI. They look for pretty much someone who is smart (hence 95+ UAI) but also someone who has done some extra curricular activities, demonstrated leadership skills, can show they can work independently or as a group, motivation, managing skills and such.

So if you have good marks and some extra curricular activities then you'll most likely get to the interview stage. After that, it depends on what you say at the interview to show them your motivated and keen on doing the course, and you have some background knowledge in accounting, and after that, they'll look at the possibility of you getting a high UAI.

You should try and do as much as you can at school (sports, SRC, organising events, activities, etc).

Hope that helps!

jayz

walking
from wat i noe abt the 2003 intake students, nearly all of them have been part of vast quantities of extra curriculum, on avg, each person had at least 5 major ones, in addition to tat, all of them were special in a field of interest (sport, music, leadership, etc), it was pretty shocking when i first saw that too. but don't let this discourage u, i fink every yr is different in wat the sponsors look for in their new scholarship recipients, maybe this yr they will focus more on personality than academic abilities, who noes? but one thing i strongly recommend when applying for any scholarships; don't lie, but try and present the best of ur self, exaggerate if need to and try nd b who u r

Dave85

HSC
i think from reading bout it they look 4 uai wit 95+ as Jase-rex said. Also i think they look 2c if ppl have done anything in the accounting area. So thats good 4u that u've done it @ tafe bcoz i think thats wat they like 2c. They take in around about 30 ppl from wat i know each year... i agree wit wat jase-rex said, doing heaps of things @ skool helps. All those extra curriculum things are taken in2 account. Hope that helps!

aditya

HSC
thank you UTS!! for ur relevant posts... they did help very much so...

unlike macquarie's forum... far out they got no idea...

thanks again

NB: but i still appreciate their responses

Smudge

HSC
go to www.bachelorofaccounting.com and email them and they'lll forward your email to students in the course who can help you... but make sure you read all about it on the website first...
Also some of us are doing YAA part of smudgebalm. so yeah go to the website www.smudgebalm.com.

We also do high school visits so tell me which school you go to and I'll see whether we can arrange a rep to go there...

Smudge

HSC
oh! and it's not really UAI based cos some of us got in with UAI's at around the 85 mark...
but that's in exceptional circumstances.

aditya

HSC
lol i did young achievers... far out.. we were pathetic....

but let me tell u one thing about YAA. its fukn politics... 100% politics....

firstly i saw this stall... telstra stall... wat are they selling? telstra adsl :|

and they were going crap i talked to a guy tehre and he was like we suck man, we sold like 2 keyboards blah blha... and they win the marketing award......

and the yr before.... a team was sponsodered by COCHLEAR!!! a huge company yeh... so they won the innovative award....

if u have a good sponsor company ull go much better. oh yeh, and telstra had THE best stall in the whole place.. like the location of it... seriously so dogged :(

Kulazzi

HSC
yeah, I did YAA last year, mind you, we were only year 10 students so we were a bit dogdy although our marketing director wanted everything to be "perfect" and practically took on everyone's roles. She made the business plan etc. etc........:cool:

Smudge

HSC
timbk2 said:
lol. you just had to give smudgebalm a plug didnt you..
Of Course! Yacht Buoy does, so I think Smudgebalm should get a bit of a mention...

Btw ppl, Bachelorofaccoutning applications are due 30th Spetember. You might as well apply you have nothing to lose...

..and everything to gain!
*$34,500
*100% employment rate
*Options to do a 2nd Major in law, marketing, HR, Finance
*You can go on International exchange
*You have good mentoring with your very own 'manager'
*good friends, good times...

and get a free interview at the very least =)

Oh and you get to do YAA in 2nd year... ;)

Any other questions?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)