UTS - B Business/ B Computing (1 Viewer)

fatmuscle

HSC
The Bachelor of Business, Bachelor of Computing course prepares students for a career in accounting, banking, e-businesss, economics, finance, international business, management, marketing, sport management, tourism and related professions.

The degree covers all aspects of computing and informatin technology - short of the actual design and construction of computer hardware - for students who intend to make a career in the profession, and also provides a pathway to honous, postgraduate study and a research career.

by Merri Mack, PC WORLD, November 2003

^___^
HSC
hey fatmuscle,
i applied for B Business B Engineering
B Business

can u tell me the Engineering part...cos i ain't really interested in computing..

thx in advance

fatmuscle

HSC
Well basically for B Engy and B Business... The engineering part depends on your uai.

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
i applied for this course... i forgot to give in the compulsory personal statement so they sent me a letter extending my statement deadline till the end of this month! hahaha!

this being a new course and all, what do you reckon the cut off will be? somewhere in the 90's? i hope not!!

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
Originally posted by jlh
i applied for this course... i forgot to give in the compulsory personal statement so they sent me a letter extending my statement deadline till the end of this month! hahaha!

what pplz applying for this course have to give that in?

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
Originally posted by sukiyaki
what pplz applying for this course have to give that in?
uh i know for sure that non recent school leavers, have to give in a personal statement. but i'm not sure about year 12's... sorry.. check the uac!

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
ahh ..i got really worry though you were doing hsc this year
yup only need UAI

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
ehhe ~perfection
its jsut a new course starting next year you shouldnt worry
but its estimated to be around late 80s to early 90's depending on the demand

asymptote03

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by jlh

this being a new course and all, what do you reckon the cut off will be? somewhere in the 90's? i hope not!!

personal statement is only for NON CURRENT SCHOOL LEAVERS ...if ur a HSC student then u dont need to submtit ther Pers. statement!

asymptote03

HSC
N/A
Hey fatmuscle..........is it better to do: Bachelor of Sc in Information Tech Dip IT Professional Practice at University of Technology, Sydney and combine it with B Business....as this degree offers INTERNSHIP......while B BUSINESS B COMPUTING has no work experience??

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
thats IF you can combine them. i dont know of anyone who has, maybe you should look into it.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
I posted this elsewhere to, but it might get seen more here, hope this helps.

Before I start:
- BScIT = Bachelor of Science in Information Technology
- DipITPP = Diploma in Information Technology Professional Practice
- BBus = Bachelor of Business
- BComp = Bachelor of Computing

As far as I have been informed, the OLD double degree BScIT/DipITPP with BBus has been replaced by the NEW combined degree BBus/BComp. I beliebe you can no longer do the OLD double degree anymore, and the NEW combined degree is better.

The OLD double degree was 2 separate degrees where you pretty much do the whole of the BScIT/DipITPP (without 4 subjects) and the whole of BBus (without 4 subjects), so it would have taken you around 6.5 years to do. You had to complete one first before moving onto the other, so you could basically change your mind halfway thru if you wanted to. I think you had to do BBus first though.

The NEW combined degree is a single degree which includes both the BBus (with 1 business major) and the BComp (quite similar to the BScIT with 1 sub-major). This new degree is only 4 years and you pretty much do exactly what you would have done in the BBus: core subjects and 1 business major (eg. acct, finance) which is 2 years and the 2nd major is combined with the computing side. The BComp side of the course is pretty much the same as the BScIT, except the first and second year subjects are different, but they are equivalent. You will notice that some of the 2nd year and all of the 4th year subjects in the BComp are the same as the BScIT as well as the IT-submajor (eg. graphics, internet business, networking, etc). So its pretty much like doing the BScIT, except without a few subjects here and there. You will still get the same professional recognition from the ACS. There is discussion to add the DipITPP to the BBus/BComp course sometime in the near future (but don't take my word for this). The reason for not adding it is because of the state of the IT industry at the moment, but this is predicted to improve by the time the first lot of graduated would graduate from this course (same with BscIT).

Overall, I highly recommend the new BBus/BComp as you pretty much do the main parts of 2 degrees in 2 different areas. For eg. you could do an Accounting or Finance major in the BBus part and an Internet Business Technology or Computer Graphics sub-major in the BComp bit. So you pretty much graduate with advanced skills in both business and computing, and you get specific skills in the 2 areas that you focused on. It's great for jobs where both skills may be required, such as hanving an IT job in the finance industry.

On a side note, you would notice that the 2004 intake for BScIT now states that it is a 3 year course, with the option of taking on the DipITPP (4 year course). This is also relevant to any current students in the BScIT as you can now graduate without the DipITPP if you choose to. So if you want to do this course in 3 years, then you can now.

If you have any furthur questions, then just post back. I could probably give anyone extra info if they want it. Its not too late to change your preferences yet.

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
hey...but in UTS handbook...if u see.....B Business/ B computing is purely a business degree...n then u can choose a major in business and a major in IT....so yeah i dont see a point when u want a pre computer degree and u end up stuck with all those BUSINESS CORE subjects!

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
If you read my previous post, you will find the course is pretty much equal computing and business (so roughly 2 years each).

In order to satisfy the UTS B Bus degree you have to do core subjects in a variety of areas other than what you major in, so you get an idea of what business is about as a whole. These subjects should definately help you with whatever major you do. Most of what you learn could also be applied in everyday life, so it is quite useful to do those subjects. It also gives you a bit of variety as well, because you will get bored from studying just the one area (or two in this case).

The B Bus/B Comp degree takes core subjects out of BOTH the business AND computing degrees, so it is NOT a purely business degree by far. You have to do core subjects in BOTH areas, and then you have the choice of a business major and an IT sub-major.

Hope thats clear now.

sorcerer

anyone have any predicitons as to what UAI dis course wil have.
i know it all depends on demand...

but would it be likely more den 92

anyone.? cheers

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
I'd say it would be 90+. Since all you guys are interested it in, I'm sure a lot of others would be too :).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)