UTS - BAcc HELP !! (1 Viewer)

aange

HSC
BUMPPPPP...I'm looking at applying for 2021 intake and am kinda confused about the process... If someone receives a conditional offer, what are the chances of them getting a final place in the course? + Does anyone have a graph/table of the lowest ATAR received by students accepted over the past few years - I literally cannot find anything :confused::confused:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
BUMPPPPP...I'm looking at applying for 2021 intake and am kinda confused about the process... If someone receives a conditional offer, what are the chances of them getting a final place in the course? + Does anyone have a graph/table of the lowest ATAR received by students accepted over the past few years - I literally cannot find anything :confused::confused:
Pretty sure they don't publicly disclose that as it's entirely at their discretion whether to accept someone.

Back when I was applying for these things (long long ago), the rule of thumb was you should be able to get into B Business. There's always been a couple of exceptions to this but as far as I know it's where the student had outstanding achievements/contributions beyond academics.

latiie2214

HSC
Pretty sure they don't publicly disclose that as it's entirely at their discretion whether to accept someone.

Back when I was applying for these things (long long ago), the rule of thumb was you should be able to get into B Business. There's always been a couple of exceptions to this but as far as I know it's where the student had outstanding achievements/contributions beyond academics.
have they ever rejected anyone with a conditional offer..?

latiie2214

HSC

Also... did you end up getting a conditional offer and decide to reject it...?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
have they ever rejected anyone with a conditional offer..?
The conditional offer is subject to meeting the ATAR requirements which aren't explicitly stated. As per page 7 of https://www.uts.edu.au/sites/default/files/2019-02/uts-business-accounting-course-guide.pdf :
If your online application is successful you will be invited to attend an interview with representatives from sponsor organisations, UTS Business School academics and the co-op team. If you are successful at interview stage, you will receive a conditional offer subject to your ATAR. We balance our selection criteria against one another, so if you excel in another area it can compensate for a lower academic score, and vice versa.

latiie2214

HSC
The conditional offer is subject to meeting the ATAR requirements which aren't explicitly stated.
Agh I wish they release more information relating to ATARS tbh .... it’s quite confusing...So if you get a conditional offer - you’re basically into the course (pending ATAR ofc) - and they’ve never really rejected anyone whose received a conditional offer..? What’s the difference between a conditional offer and being on the reserve list then??

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Agh I wish they release more information relating to ATARS tbh .... it’s quite confusing...So if you get a conditional offer - you’re basically into the course (pending ATAR ofc) - and they’ve never really rejected anyone whose received a conditional offer..? What’s the difference between a conditional offer and being on the reserve list then??
The rule of thumb (in my time) was you should've been able to get into B Business regardless. Conditional offer is what everyone gets subject to getting the final ATAR results because up until this point, they don't have anything reliable to gauge your academic performance relative to everyone else.

Look at it this way, a conditional offer is as good as it gets until you've got your ATAR back.

A reserve list is exactly that. It's a position in a queue hoping that those who did get offers end up either backing out to dos something else or outright being rejected.

ps. I don't know if they have or haven't rejected those who have conditional offers. When I asked (again, back in the day), they just said they could apply discretion if they felt it appropriate to do so.

pps. I wouldn't stress so much. If you got a conditional offer, good on you. Assuming you've finished your HSC exams (I think they're all done? I have no idea) then there's literally nothing you can do about it.

kattieepie18122

HSC
The rule of thumb (in my time) was you should've been able to get into B Business regardless. Conditional offer is what everyone gets subject to getting the final ATAR results because up until this point, they don't have anything reliable to gauge your academic performance relative to everyone else.

Look at it this way, a conditional offer is as good as it gets until you've got your ATAR back.

A reserve list is exactly that. It's a position in a queue hoping that those who did get offers end up either backing out to dos something else or outright being rejected.

ps. I don't know if they have or haven't rejected those who have conditional offers. When I asked (again, back in the day), they just said they could apply discretion if they felt it appropriate to do so.

pps. I wouldn't stress so much. If you got a conditional offer, good on you. Assuming you've finished your HSC exams (I think they're all done? I have no idea) then there's literally nothing you can do about it.
sorry for blowing in...I don't normally post on these forums (as you can see by the date my account was created) - I received a conditional offer too and we are supposed to be getting a call on the 17th (same day as results AND ATARs are released - big rip) to discuss whether we get a finalised offer. I guess this leads to my question - from reading the forum/s - I take it that they can reject individuals who receive conditional offers? I'm a little confused by this though as UTS is constantly repeating that "ATAR's don't mean everything" and the BAcc website says that they take "multiple considerations into account".... so surely if you receive a conditional offer, you're set to get a final offer after the 17th December...? But idk..:(o_O

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
sorry for blowing in...I don't normally post on these forums (as you can see by the date my account was created) - I received a conditional offer too and we are supposed to be getting a call on the 17th (same day as results AND ATARs are released - big rip) to discuss whether we get a finalised offer. I guess this leads to my question - from reading the forum/s - I take it that they can reject individuals who receive conditional offers? I'm a little confused by this though as UTS is constantly repeating that "ATAR's don't mean everything" and the BAcc website says that they take "multiple considerations into account".... so surely if you receive a conditional offer, you're set to get a final offer after the 17th December...? But idk..:(o_O
Conditional is conditional. They will definitely look at your atar BUT if you bring a lot of other things to the table then your atar will be less emphasized. However if the course has like a 90 atar cutoff and you get an atar of 60 then obviously the chance of rejection is much higher. So yes your atar will matter but less than what it would matter had you applied the standard way.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Conditional is conditional. They will definitely look at your atar BUT if you bring a lot of other things to the table then your atar will be less emphasized. However if the course has like a 90 atar cutoff and you get an atar of 60 then obviously the chance of rejection is much higher. So yes your atar will matter but less than what it would matter had you applied the standard way.
That's in line with my understanding as well.

In some ways it's very similar to the cadetships as well whereby the interviewers/recruiters/etc will assess you on everything other than academics since that will be tested in a more standardised/consistent manner by virtue of the ATAR. Therefore they can make a conditional offer that as long as you meet the academic requirement at the end, then it's crystallised. The difference is with a cadetship, it's very clear you need to get accepted into an approved course/degree, whereas with BAcc, there's a lot of ambiguity as to what they're actually looking for.

Honestly if you've got a conditional offer, you should take it as they've already considered your academic potential and likely ATAR (either through your school's own estimation or by reviewing your academic results to date) and they would expect you to be successful. That being said if you do totally flunk out or your estimate was wildly optimistic, then that's why it's only a conditional offer and it leaves them a way to not offer you the final position.

kattieepie18122

HSC
oh ok that makes sense - thank you! 😊 🙏

HSC
if you want some numbers my friend with a 95 and a conditional got a call, and my friend who was in reserve list but got 97.5 got a call too, both first round applicants

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)