UTS Bachelor of Accounting 2011 (1 Viewer)

gwenwiver

HSC
N/A
If you can - check what university the employers went to. They will probably favour that uni cause they went there and know next to nothing about the other unis. Knowing what school they went to may help as well.

Mergers and Acquisitions is one tough field to get into. I can speak from experience and from what I hear from close mates at uni, without equipping yourself with a law degree you are putting yourself into an disadvantageous position. You'll find that many of your competition are always either 1) Bcom/BLaws UNSW 2) Bcomm/BLaws Usyd or 3) Macq and UTS... And basically if you're from macq and UTS you would need close to a perfect GPA and previous experience in a bulge bracket or a smaller firm in a related field.

As to whether a Law degree is beneficial in the actual work of M and A, I'm not sure.. But the feeling is if you have a law degree its sorta of a teller as to whether you have smarts.

How does UTS compare to USyd..? I'm gonna mimic what the other guy said and say that Usyd's commerce degree is on the decline, trust me on that one. My dad speaks to deloitte partners and from what the deloitte guys say that UNSW is preferred with UTS and Macq following.. Haha as to whether UTS people are more 'practical' than other candidates.. I seriously doubt it man. Everyone knows they hand Distinctions like candy over there.. so maybe its better you go to uts for a prettier transcript.

Hope this helps man. If you're serious about M&A follow the Law path..and you'll find your pathway there to be alot easier.

EDIT: Oh yeah, just read you came from Shore.. another major bonus. I find that alot of these dudes have private school backgrounds.. So chances are youll run into old alumni!

treefig

HSC
thanks for all your help guys!

yeah i've already run into a few past shore students etc...good network but not what i want to base my uni/career on...i'd prefer to make my own way rather than using connections. but good point nonetheless..

I think i've pretty much given up on M & A..really interested in accounting now..it's funny how i though i was so set on M & A for many years then in a few months it changes completely..ahh you guys were right haha

so BAcc vs cadetships? any opinions?
also uni vs uni for accounting?
any other courses to look out for?

also for those who got the BAcc....kinda wish i were in your position now haha but just for interests' sake, what did you guys do that made you stand out?
DOE/working/sports/prefects etc?

also interview tips?

sorry i know i ask the same sort of things all the time but i tend to talk a fair bit and ask lots os questions, but thanks again for all your help :)

atm1991

HSC
Any idea when the Part A application form link is going to be up?
According to this link (UTS Bachelor of Accounting - Application & Selection home) it should have been up in Mid April. I'll send an email asking when it will be going up on your behalf :)

treefig said:
thanks for all your help guys!

yeah i've already run into a few past shore students etc...good network but not what i want to base my uni/career on...i'd prefer to make my own way rather than using connections. but good point nonetheless..

I think i've pretty much given up on M & A..really interested in accounting now..it's funny how i though i was so set on M & A for many years then in a few months it changes completely..ahh you guys were right haha

so BAcc vs cadetships? any opinions?
also uni vs uni for accounting?
any other courses to look out for?

also for those who got the BAcc....kinda wish i were in your position now haha but just for interests' sake, what did you guys do that made you stand out?
DOE/working/sports/prefects etc?

also interview tips?

sorry i know i ask the same sort of things all the time but i tend to talk a fair bit and ask lots os questions, but thanks again for all your help :)
BAcc vs Cadetships, I'm probably not the best person to ask as I only applied to KPMG and that was a half assed application the night before it closed. Hopefully some other BAcc's will post here who applied for cadetships. The following link might also be useful to you: Cadetships

For accounting basically all unis offering Accounting majors are accredited by the ICAA, the CPAA and the NIA. So really they are all teaching very similar things, the main differences would likely be in how it is taught. In the end it comes down to which uni you personally think is for you, factoring in things such as travel time, perceived social life and which one you think you will enjoy most. Personally (and I am biased so please do your own research and draw your own conclusions), I think UTS and UNSW Co-op Accounting is the best, then UTS and UNSW non co-op, probably then Macquarie and Sydney, and UWS after that.

I know UNSW has co-op courses in accounting, finance, actuarial and marketing as well but I think they basically modelled their courses on the one UTS has successfully run for 20 years now, particularly accounting.

Achievements I had:

*Met local politicians on behalf of the school
*Met the President of CPA Australia on behalf of my school
*Received awards every semester for effort grades on school report
*Several awards for academic performance in certain subjects

Achievements I did not have:

*Wasn't a captain or prefect
*Didn't do DOE
*Have not worked before
*No crazy list of sports(I played one sport)

Basically if you get offered an interview, I believe that is the best opportunity to show them who you are. you can fill up a sheet with all your achievements and get in there and within 5 minutes if they don't feel your communication skills are particularly good, your insane list of achievements might not be enough to secure your place. So just stay calm and be confident, but not arrogant cause there is a very fine line between the two. Answer all questions truthfully, don't speak too quickly and look your interviewers in the eye when you are talking to them.

Hope these things help and best of luck!

Last edited:

omarmerei

HSC
Which major of the business degree lets you run a medium sized business?

atm1991

HSC
Which major of the business degree lets you run a medium sized business?
Well here is the full list of majors and sub majors available in the BAcc and BBus degrees at UTS: UTS:CBK90170 Major/Two sub-majors/Sub-major + four electives - UTS Handbook 2010

For what you are wanting to do I would say an Accounting major and perhaps a sub major in Small Business Accounting, with the remaining four subjects (24cp) as free electives or another sub major, maybe Business Law?

anintax3

HSC
Coop offers similar course at UTS, I applied for it and was also accepted, but it was waaayyy tooo academic oriented for me, so I chose BAcc instead. And plus it seems BAcc also have a better social sphere and it finishes faster than coop (3 years than 4)

The first priority is to woo your interviewer

good job anthony

According to this link (UTS Bachelor of Accounting - Application & Selection home) it should have been up in Mid April. I'll send an email asking when it will be going up on your behalf :)

BAcc vs Cadetships, I'm probably not the best person to ask as I only applied to KPMG and that was a half assed application the night before it closed. Hopefully some other BAcc's will post here who applied for cadetships. The following link might also be useful to you: Cadetships

For accounting basically all unis offering Accounting majors are accredited by the ICAA, the CPAA and the NIA. So really they are all teaching very similar things, the main differences would likely be in how it is taught. In the end it comes down to which uni you personally think is for you, factoring in things such as travel time, perceived social life and which one you think you will enjoy most. Personally (and I am biased so please do your own research and draw your own conclusions), I think UTS and UNSW Co-op Accounting is the best, then UTS and UNSW non co-op, probably then Macquarie and Sydney, and UWS after that.

I know UNSW has co-op courses in accounting, finance, actuarial and marketing as well but I think they basically modelled their courses on the one UTS has successfully run for 20 years now, particularly accounting.

Achievements I had:

*Met local politicians on behalf of the school
*Met the President of CPA Australia on behalf of my school
*Received awards every semester for effort grades on school report
*Several awards for academic performance in certain subjects

Achievements I did not have:

*Wasn't a captain or prefect
*Didn't do DOE
*Have not worked before
*No crazy list of sports(I played one sport)

Basically if you get offered an interview, I believe that is the best opportunity to show them who you are. you can fill up a sheet with all your achievements and get in there and within 5 minutes if they don't feel your communication skills are particularly good, your insane list of achievements might not be enough to secure your place. So just stay calm and be confident, but not arrogant cause there is a very fine line between the two. Answer all questions truthfully, don't speak too quickly and look your interviewers in the eye when you are talking to them.

Hope these things help and best of luck!

twistedrebel

HSC
hey man thanks for this thread, you are really giving me hope of making it considering my extra curriculum activities. How long will part A be open for?

atm1991

HSC
hey man thanks for this thread, you are really giving me hope of making it considering my extra curriculum activities. How long will part A be open for?
Hey man, glad that I can help :)

I'm pretty sure it has to be done by June 11, at which time you must have completed and submitted both Parts A & B.

atm1991

HSC
What percentage are offered interviews?
Good question. Well the email I got last year telling me I had been offered an interview said approximately 200 people were selected for interview. The number of applicants is a little more sketchy. I've heard various estimates of between 700 and 1000, but this could be way off. I don't think anyone has actually asked how many applicants is around the average. Not really sure if it would considered rude of me to ask someone from the uni, but if I do find out, I will update this post :)

treefig

HSC
hey everyone thanks heaps for your help - atm1991 your response was very helpful.

i guess it's just time to apply and hope!

btw were any of you guys at the CA cadetships night tonight?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
hey everyone thanks heaps for your help - atm1991 your response was very helpful.

I saw a lot of UTS blue shirts around!

atm1991

HSC

Hey ah I wasn't at the Cadetship night, but heaps of first years and a few second and third years were too. ojmayo32 who posted on the first page of this thread was there.

I saw a lot of UTS blue shirts around!
How's the CA going man? Where are you working?

Last edited:

Rabbi_Bob

Banned
HSC
beweare, UTS = islamic university.
Muslims every corner, everywhere.
and asians.

Rabbi_Bob

Banned
HSC
No different to any other uni mate, you are going to get a good mix of ethnicities at them all.
Yeah i know... but this one is absolutely full of them. Its like the centre of muslims. You'd expect UNSW (5k-6k muslims), and UWS (like all of it), but UTS isnt one you would expect coz its in da city, but dont get fooled nigga, the percentage is like fucking highest in there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)