UTS BCST vs USYD BCST (1 Viewer)

littlelostboy

HSC
N/A
Hi, I'm trying to decide which university to choose for computer science. I can only get into UTS Bachelor of Science in Information Technology or USYD Computer Science and Technology. I doubt I can make it into UNSW since they said they are only accepting uai of 88+

I don't even know if UTS Bachelor of Science in Information Technology is an IT course or not, it sounds more like a science degree to me. I want to apply for Bachelor of Information Technology at UTS but I don't think they are offering it during mid-transfer admission since they won't even show the course details on uac.

I find it strange that USYD computer science has such a low uai cut-off, does that signify that the quality of the course is not as good as other uni like UNSW or UTS?

jonaxiang

HSC
littlelostboy said:
Hi, I'm trying to decide which university to choose for computer science. I can only get into UTS Bachelor of Science in Information Technology or USYD Computer Science and Technology. I doubt I can make it into UNSW since they said they are only accepting uai of 88+

I don't even know if UTS Bachelor of Science in Information Technology is an IT course or not, it sounds more like a science degree to me. I want to apply for Bachelor of Information Technology at UTS but I don't think they are offering it during mid-transfer admission since they won't even show the course details on uac.

I find it strange that USYD computer science has such a low uai cut-off, does that signify that the quality of the course is not as good as other uni like UNSW or UTS?
A low uai cutoff does not signify that the course will be easier than higher cutoffs. It all depends on supply-and-demand for people applying for the course. Im tossing up between these 2 degrees as well and expert opinions from people who do either of these 2 courses would be appreciated. From what i have heard, USYD BCST is more theory oriented as well as a requirement to do maths subjects whilst UTS Science In IT degree is more practical based teaching with no maths subjects. At the moment, i'm more swayed towards USYD comp science as they provide many elective choices and maths component is pretty helpful in the IT world. lol, UTS sound like carebears where 'caring is sharing' with them encouraging more girls to do IT degrees and the lame looking handbook on the degree choices which make it look so childish imo!

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
The B IT has two (or one, not sure) 6 month internships during your degree, and theres a fully hectic screening process to get in. Oh the BSc (IT) is a computer science course offered by the faculty of IT.

UTS is the best uni for IT.

jonaxiang

HSC
Are there any benefits of gettin into USYD BCST? lol. Im gonna send in a portfolio to the USYD IT department just in case i get below the cutoff. I saw that both courses last year had Vacancies during the main round. Im curious to know if they allowed people into the degree even though their uai was slighty below the deemed cutoff. Are the USYD computing facilities any good??. I curious to know the quality of the computer science lecturors at USYD compared to UTS...

Last edited:

littlelostboy

HSC
N/A
The B IT has two (or one, not sure) 6 month internships during your degree, and theres a fully hectic screening process to get in. Oh the BSc (IT) is a computer science course offered by the faculty of IT.

UTS is the best uni for IT.
Thanks for the reply

Yeah, I wish UTS offers BIT during mid-year admission. :(

I hope some experts can give me some opinions on UTS's BSc (IT) and USYD's BCST.

I agree with jonaxiang that USYD's BCST seems to be more theortical after reading their handbook. My uai is way over both courses and I live very close to both unis.

I guess its a matter of which course can bring me to a better IT career in the future.

Last edited:

Lawl

HSC
Hi, I'm doing the BCST atm.

As of 2007, a new building just for IT has been built and is fully operational (to my knowledge). It has the provisions for all IT students (Computers, Microwaves and Fridges :p).

About the course; the BCST does have a low UAI cutoff. In my opinion i believe that the fact that math is compulsory for first year and second year students is the main decisive factor of the course. As previously said, the UTS course equivalent has no maths whatsoever, in usyd you are required to take maths in your first year and half of your second year at uni. Another factor is the other computing related courses that usyd has (software, BIS, IT/Comm, and IT itself).

About the UTS course (someone correct me if i'm wrong) does not really have work experience. Rather you get a diploma of (...) if you have worked in the industry for a certain period of time.

I can tell you that the usyd (in my opinion) has several links to well-known computing companies but isn't as renowned for it as UTS.

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
At the moment, usyd's BCST program is a bit underfunded (i'm not doing it, but i'm doing most of the subjects from there for my degree's electives), lots of budget cuts, especially in 2nd and 3rd year courses (half my courses this semester didn't have a tutor, and another course's tutorials had to be taken by the lecturer).

It's still a great course, the lecturers teach you really well and the material is really interesting. Good new infrastructure with the new IT buildings too, but there really isn't much support from tutors and stuff after 1st year tbh.

Psychokiller

Banned
HSC
goony said:
At the moment, usyd's BCST program is a bit underfunded (i'm not doing it, but i'm doing most of the subjects from there for my degree's electives), lots of budget cuts, especially in 2nd and 3rd year courses (half my courses this semester didn't have a tutor, and another course's tutorials had to be taken by the lecturer).

It's still a great course, the lecturers teach you really well and the material is really interesting. Good new infrastructure with the new IT buildings too, but there really isn't much support from tutors and stuff after 1st year tbh.
ahah yeah theres like 2 tutors taking 3 labs simultaneously

Lawl

HSC
I thought that was due to the courses revamp this year?

Empath

HSC
Lawl said:
I thought that was due to the courses revamp this year?

Ive been told by lecturers (from comp2129, info2120) that the reason there are less tutors than there should be is because of funding problems.

..and the helpdesk people aren't that helpful =(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)