UTS BIT co-op 2021 (1 Viewer)

irubab

HSC
hey y'all,

just curious as to who else here applied to the program this year, and if anyone has an idea as to when we should expect to hear back from them by?

it seems like an amazing opportunity, if there are any alumni/current students of the program here, i would love to hear your insight about the program and what the recruitment process was like for you!

PoliticChicken

HSC
Hello,

I also applied to the program this year, and I received an email response last Friday (the 18th). It wasn't in my normal inbox though, it was under 'promotions', I only found it by looking up 'UTS' in my email yesterday.

I know this thread is pretty old, but how about you?

irubab

HSC
Hey there!

Congrats on getting through the first stage! I heard back from them on Friday as well in regards to the interviews, and I must say it was really nice not having to wait anymore.

How are you feeling about the interview?

PoliticChicken

HSC
Why hello there,

You know I find it kinda weird how you can see who's viewing a page right now, it's also kinda cool though. Anyways, thanks, I didn't say I got through though, well I did, but was it that obvious? And, yeah I was wondering as well because they extended the deadline.

I am feeling alright, well, not really, but, as alright as I can be. How about you? - I have to make myself sound like cooler than I am...

irubab

HSC
Well I kinda deduced that you'd gotten in considering the fact that you probably wouldn't have been on a bit co-op forum after hearing back if you had been rejected. :p

Honestly I reckon being yourself is the best thing to do. Clearly they saw potential in you since you passed the first stage. The second round I feel like is really just emphasising all the qualities you demonstrated in your application in a coherent manner.

I'm really looking forward to the briefing session on the 28th though, it'll be a really cool opportunity to hear from the representatives themselves and some alumni!

PoliticChicken

HSC
Haha, what was I thinking? Such deduction was exactly what I should expect from someone who also passed the first stage as well *boss music intensifies* 😅

And that is probably true. Thankyou, you've already shown me your powers of deduction so I don't doubt your potential. And, yeah, you know you seem awfully calm about this whole situation, but maybe I'm just freaking out a bit too much. I think it's good though that the interviews are over Zoom this year, it'll probably be easier to stay calm.

I'm looking forward to it as well, and woah, we hear from Alumni? I really should've read that email more, I thought it was only sponsors. We also might be able to see how many people passed the first stage, I'm guessing like... a hundred? What do you think?

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
I was part of the program a few years back. Congratulations for making it past application stage.

Interviews are a big filter where the pool gets cut way down. Do industry research before the interview so you can differentiate yourself (you would benefit to start now by reviewing tech news every morning). Be able to articulate what you want to do in the industry and why. Everyone is going to take the "driven and motivated" approach and you differentiate yourself by taking it a step further as "astute and directed".

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
Another 200iq move to get an edge for interviews is looking at the Linkedin profiles of current BITs and Alumni. They got accepted for a reason and maybe you can take a few pointers on what to emphasize.

PoliticChicken

HSC
Thankyou Katsumi.

And I will do that, so far I already watch Techlinked - from LinusTechTips for new, but I should probably focus more on the Australian-based/related industry, right? And, to confirm, by "astute and directed" you mean like knowing information about your desired field/goal in the industry - that's the research/news?

And that is a very 200iq move, actually I saw your post a few years ago where you first mentioned this, so I've done that, I also wrote about doing it in my application. The only thing is I can't access too many profiles because I only created my LinkedIn recently (like 2 weeks ago), but you have already been quite helpful, so thankyou again.

irubab

HSC
Hey @Katsumi ,

Thank you for the advice! Was just curious as to whether you remember the industry related questions that they asked?

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
Hey @Katsumi ,

Thank you for the advice! Was just curious as to whether you remember the industry related questions that they asked?
I did my interview six years ago so not really. You need to know what you want to do and why. Then industry relevant news to what you want to do and the broader environment.

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
Thankyou Katsumi.

And I will do that, so far I already watch Techlinked - from LinusTechTips for new, but I should probably focus more on the Australian-based/related industry, right? And, to confirm, by "astute and directed" you mean like knowing information about your desired field/goal in the industry - that's the research/news?

And that is a very 200iq move, actually I saw your post a few years ago where you first mentioned this, so I've done that, I also wrote about doing it in my application. The only thing is I can't access too many profiles because I only created my LinkedIn recently (like 2 weeks ago), but you have already been quite helpful, so thankyou again.
Australian industry is more relevant. BIT is a generalist course so the business side of information technology would be more desirable. LinusTechTips is mainly just gaming and stuff.

You are correct about the astute thing. Where you want to go/why and well researched about how you may want to get there & trends in that sector/wider industry

jj999

HSC
Good luck to you all on Tuesday! I hope to see you on Monday morning.

btw I almost missed the deadline to accept the invitation to the interview by 7 hours. The email was in promotion but luckily, UTS sent a reminder to check my email.

jj999

HSC
I did my interview six years ago so not really. You need to know what you want to do and why. Then industry relevant news to what you want to do and the broader environment.
Hey since you have experience with the interview, could you tell us how many people get interviewed? Like what are our chances of getting in?

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
Hey since you have experience with the interview, could you tell us how many people get interviewed? Like what are our chances of getting in?
Your chances depend on how well you do comparative to other students. They are looking for the cream of the crop and it varies between year.

From the 30 people on my specific interview day, 2 including myself ended up being in the cohort.

jj999

HSC
hey y'all,

just curious as to who else here applied to the program this year, and if anyone has an idea as to when we should expect to hear back from them by?

it seems like an amazing opportunity, if there are any alumni/current students of the program here, i would love to hear your insight about the program and what the recruitment process was like for you!
Hey did you pass to the next stage?

karrolzz

HSC
N/A
I got into the course in 2019, the course is fantastic and you meet great people.

Good luck to you all.

prabjyot.chahal

HSC
hey! Yes I did get into the next stage :) Now just waiting for the ATAR results to come out!
Hi,
Congratulations for getting the scholarship. I have applied for the same scholarship and got my interview on Sep 28th 2021. Can you pls give me some tips on acing the interview? Thanks in advance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)