UTS BIT COOP v USYD ADV COMPUTING/COMMERCE (DALYELL SCHOLAR) (1 Viewer)

tklawl

HSC
N/A
Hi, I'm in a bit of a dilemma right now that I would love some opinions on it.

I was offered a place in the BIT COOP at UTS and subsequently placed it as my first preference in the December Round 2 on UAC. I then received a letter from USYD about the Dalyell Scholars program (of which I had previously forgotten about) and have now begun to reconsider my acceptance of the BIT COOP.

My issue with the BIT COOP is that I'm afraid it won't meet my academic expectations (I'd like a challenge at university) as it is a very industry-focused scholarship program. I recently spoke to a few USYD/UNSW students who rejected a BIT/UNSW coop for a compsci/engineering degree at the former universities. Their reasoning was the same as mine - they were not so sure the co-op would provide them with the 'top-notch academic experience'. That is the same dilemma I am currently facing.

I'm incredibly passionate about both business and IT and would love to work in either/both of the two industries. I feel as if USYD would really challenge me, whereas UTS would be a tad bit light on the academics but exceptional in work experience.

USYD - Dalyell Scholars (accelerated academic experience + special projects + mentorship programs) and more challenging degrees + likely $36K in scholarships + great balance between business/IT + could probably find internship opportunities by myself

UTS - COOP ($50K + 2 6-month work experience sessions + graduate job), great balance between business/IT - but less academically challenging.

TLDR; worried about UTS' BIT COOP not challenging me academically - not sure whether I should head to USYD or continue with UTS.

kamiyato

HSC
Man thats a big choice ahead for you! But first off, congrats on your awesome offers!
I'm not very sure my advice will be that helpful to u but i guess i could offer some discussion haha
I got into the commerce/adv studies dalyell scholars course which is similar to you and got a $40k scholarship from IBB and E12 so I'm pretty happy with where I'm going but I regret not applying for the UTS BIT COOP, which I guess hooked me in with their 100% employment rate and the plentiful industry experiences it has to offer. But if you are for in for challenging yourself academically, I think USYD is the way to go. Theyre defs the one to go to for the academic rigor you are seeking and their industry placement programs aint bad. Heard theres lotsa support to find internships and that. I'm sure u can easily pick up a scholarship too with ur academic merits /winkwink/ But u gotta consider the jumpstart uts gives u into the workforce so u start earning cash fast...ru willing to give that up haha
Wouldn't want to decide in ur shoes weighing these options is making my head implode already LOL
Wishing u the best!

30june2016

HSC
Uni Grad
Choose UTS BIT and be my friend please :( thank you

Also, read through the course programs and see how you feel about them!!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)