UTS business/law vs USYD/UNSW commerce (1 Viewer)

dwk72

HSC
Afternoon all,

I only have the atar to enter one of the above listed universities. I hope to do finance or accounting, however the fact that I am not doing a cadetship leads me to feel more inclined to take on a law double for employment prospects. Regarding these.....

- UTS Business\Law: convenient location (probably the easiest to get to), but prestige is really the only thing stopping me from placing it as my first.
- UNSW commerce: perhaps the best course out of the three, but the location is horrible. Would involve +3.5hrs travelling a day. I'm particularly interested in the international commerce course, but would it really do anything to boost employment prospects?
- USYD commerce: since I don't have a cadetship, does USYD offer superior industry links?

Thanks!

astroman

HSC
I would do UTS solely for the reason of travel and the fact that it's a double degree, keep in mind that employers value experience more than uni
(most of the time), would you rather a student with 2 years experience in the field or one with none?

b0b101

Pharaoh
HSC
UTS, because law these days is the new art as the 'thing to combo with'. Prestige doesn't necessarily matter if you have experience and the double degree gives you more time for summer internships and the like...

Hatake88

HSC
law doesn't have the best employment prospects right now. prestige also doesn't matter that much anymore - top firms take people from UTS/MQ/NSW/USYD based more on grades then what uni you go to.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I don't understand why UNSW is the one with the "problem travel time"

if it's 3.5 hours to get to unsw

then it's 3 hours to get to uts or usyd

dwk72

HSC
I don't understand why UNSW is the one with the "problem travel time"

if it's 3.5 hours to get to unsw

then it's 3 hours to get to uts or usyd
30mins extra a day can add up. The question is whether UNSW is so superior to warrant that time.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
well yeah

Use the extra commute to catch up with friends or sleep

I take the bus with friends so we can chat about stuff since we don't have classes a lot together - just work it into an advantage

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
Cadetships aren't really important if you don't plan on being an auditor at a big 4 etc. (Very few finance cadetships and none in Investment Banking division).

I would to uts buss/law. You can transfer after first year if you want to usyd or unsw comm/law as many people have.

Also law has reasonable employment prospects if you are a good candidate.

Confound

HSC
30 minutes extra a day of travelling is nothing lol just go with unsw

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)