UTS business vs UNSW commerce for Investment banking (1 Viewer)

murthyakshtih

HSC
hey guys i know a lot people say UNSW for investment banking type of jobs but honestly i'm worried as to if i'll get the atar required at unsw is UTS not the best for investment banking ? thanks in advance to everyone who responds to the post

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Yes UNSW for IB , people on this forum might say otherwise but honestly in this current market they really only pick from UNSW/USYD and almost all are honour students on top of that. This is for front-office btw (you said type of jobs)
If you're fine with a back office job in an investment bank, even though that's still quite competitive you might have a chance there with very good marks/ECS/work experience.

Otherwise transfer from UTS after first year.

murthyakshtih

HSC
Yes UNSW for IB , people on this forum might say otherwise but honestly in this current market they really only pick from UNSW/USYD and almost all are honour students on top of that. This is for front-office btw (you said type of jobs)
If you're fine with a back office job in an investment bank, even though that's still quite competitive you might have a chance there with very good marks/ECS/work experience.

Otherwise transfer from UTS after first year.
USYD really because people have told me that employers prefer maq students more than USYD students not to sure about that to be honest but a lot of people said that to me lately and also if i do transfer in first year would i have to send an extra year at UNSW not sure if you know or not but if you do could you please let me know thanks

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Post-grad Macq might be on more equal terms, but in terms of an undergraduate degree it doesn't compare to UNSW/USYD where that's the majority of people you see in the interview waiting-room for IB positions.

No you don't need to do an extra year, however maybe an extra semester yes, where you'll need to re-take certain subjects that don't transfer forward to UNSW like IBP(UTS tends to have more weirdly unique subjects that teach the same stuff but just aren't alll the same in terms of syallbus).

USYD really because people have told me that employers prefer maq students more than USYD students not to sure about that to be honest but a lot of people said that to me lately and also if i do transfer in first year would i have to send an extra year at UNSW not sure if you know or not but if you do could you please let me know thanks

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
UNSW hands down for IB. When it comes to campus recruitment, UBS/Citi/Goldman Sach/etc competitions and networking events the other unis don't even come close. Something you need to consider is that straight commerce might not be enough, you're competing against comm/law, actuarial and honour kids.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Agreed, for front office, you'll be hard pressed with straight commerce although I do know some people who got in to IB roles with it. They also had top marks and amazing ECs.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
UNSW hands down for IB. When it comes to campus recruitment, UBS/Citi/Goldman Sach/etc competitions and networking events the other unis don't even come close. Something you need to consider is that straight commerce might not be enough, you're competing against comm/law, actuarial and honour kids.
This. A major factor is the degree length difference, double degree kids have extra opportunities to improve their resume and accordingly it is very hard for a single comm kid to compete. From what i've heard, it's quite common for comm/law kids to do a big 4 internship during yr 3 and gun for IB internship in yr 4, you can't compete with single comm which is sad but the reality.

murthyakshtih

HSC
i was planning on going for a combined degree not sure which one because i'll have to transfer into it most likely as well

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)