UTS Cadets (1 Viewer)

lost_lil_anjool

HSC
I was just wondering how any cadets at UTS are coping and if they would advise to go UTS while on a cadetship. I've heard that it is possible for cadets to enrol as a full time student with 3 subjects and drop one of them later on in the course so that they have the concession card. Does this also apply for uts?? Thanks

roadcone

HSC
yep.

i mean yep you can enrol in 3 subjects and then drop one in order to get your concession card. no problems/

matty fwd

HSC
Argh i think I've read this too late. My first preference is UTS Buisness part-time (because i've got a cadetship). Is there anything I can do so I still get a concession card?

jared_88

HSC
matty fwd said:
Argh i think I've read this too late. My first preference is UTS Buisness part-time (because i've got a cadetship). Is there anything I can do so I still get a concession card?
Yea I did the same thing. But I'm thinking of not doing that trick this semester n just waiting for next semester to see if I will do 3 subjects (seeing as I will be able to use my school concession card till the end of March).

jared_88

HSC
Hey ppl I've got two questions that really need answering...

1. What two subjects should I take 1st semester (what do cadets usually take), I'm guessing its the accounting subject and one other?

2. My sister told me u wont get the time u want for tuts/lectures if u go late on enrollment day (this happened t her in her 1st semester). But I have no choice cos it sais the earliest time for current-school leavers to go is 1.30pm on the day (the earliest for non-current school-leavers is 8.30am). So should I just go to 1.30pm and risk it (even though I NEED night courses becos of work), should I enrol for the 1.30pm and just turn up at 8.30am anyways, should I enrol in the 8.30am (even though I'm a non-current school leaver), or should I try n enrol in my subjects online (is this possible for 1st yr students)?

Sorry about the long questions but I really need help with this. Thankyou in advance!

matty fwd

HSC
jared_88 said:

1. What two subjects should I take 1st semester (what do cadets usually take), I'm guessing its the accounting subject and one other?

2. My sister told me u wont get the time u want for tuts/lectures if u go late on enrollment day (this happened t her in her 1st semester). But I have no choice cos it sais the earliest time for current-school leavers to go is 1.30pm on the day (the earliest for non-current school-leavers is 8.30am). So should I just go to 1.30pm and risk it (even though I NEED night courses becos of work), should I enrol for the 1.30pm and just turn up at 8.30am anyways, should I enrol in the 8.30am (even though I'm a non-current school leaver), or should I try n enrol in my subjects online (is this possible for 1st yr students)?

Sorry about the long questions but I really need help with this. Thankyou in advance!

I think for both you should talk to your firm, at least thats what I plan to do. I'm not sure if I'm right with this but from what I understood, most firms can help you manage your timetable with either flexible work hours or telling UTS to give you a better timetable. No idea if this is actually true.

roadcone

HSC
jared_88 said:

1. They will give you a piece of paper that says the normal courses that are taken first and second semester for both part and full time students.

First semester last year i did MPO and Eco. I would suggest picking 2 subjects out of MPO, Eco, Accy1 and Marketing [which is the usual first semester full time load].

2. UTS runs a preference system for first year subjects where you actually won't be allocated into a class right away, but after all enrolments have been completed - this is some time mid to late Feb from memory. You should try and organise your enrolment spot for the first one you can get to though.

Also go on the uts timetable site and have an idea of what tutes and lectures you want to be in for both semesters so that you don't have to try and piece together a timetable in 15 minutes on enrolment day.

EDIT - Getting into night lectures shouldn;t be that much of an issue though because most people actually want to go into the day. Depending on the availability of tutes, they might fill up quickly with part timers.

Last edited:

shonkay

HSC
roadcone said:
yep.

i mean yep you can enrol in 3 subjects and then drop one in order to get your concession card. no problems/
isnt that kinda suss though? i sorta want to do that cuz then i'll be saving like $300 every 6 months or whatever but im a lil paranoid so yeah and how long does it take to get the actual concession card?

oh and also, how do u drop a subject..?

deano059

HSC
working full time and studying im worried it may be too much..

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
deano059 said:
working full time and studying im worried it may be too much..
Depends on what type of person you are and how you can handle it

ive got quite a few friends that do that
including an x of mine

Some can balance it really well

for others it takes up most of their times

Bad thing about working fulltime is that you mainly have to go to night classes and do the bulk of your work on the weekends

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)