UTS or MACQ for MARKETING!?!?! (1 Viewer)

Benmontague

excited much?
HSC
Hey guys,

Just hoping for a bit of an opinion from as many ppl as possible about this... I'm about to do the HSC and still havent decided which UNI I most want to go to....
Ive narrowed it down to two choices which are:

Macquarie Uni - B-Commerce-Marketing
UTS - B-Business (and then Major in Marketing ... and or advertising)

Suggestions or insights anyone ???

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
I'm not very familiar with the Marketing majors, but a place to start would be reading the prospective UTS and Macq websites.

For UTS, have a look at the general B Business page (http://handbook.uts.edu.au/bus/ug/c10026.html) and the major pages-
- Marketing: http://handbook.uts.edu.au/directory/maj08441.html
- Advertising and Promotions Management: http://handbook.uts.edu.au/directory/maj08448.html

A course brochure on the Business Faculty website: http://www.business.uts.edu.au/courses/pdfs/ug_courseguide.pdf

I'd also suggest attending the next open day to talk to business staff/students about the Marketing and Advertising and Promotions Management majors. There should be someone there on hand to give you an insight into them.
I remember going to an open day early January, just before the UAC choices were due. Keep an eye on http://www.uts.edu.au (especially the news section) to find out when this is for next year.

Hope that helps.

maka

HSC
Ben......

I do Business and decided to major in HRM and doing some other sub majors/electives.

My best advice to you is that no one in here can determine what it is exactly that you wish to gain from the degree. I am not trying to be rude or anything because I understand the difficulties of picking degrees.

The key is I found to have all the facts in the relevant areas of the degree. What style of marketing do you like..... is it the creative or market research side- the comparative subjects of the degrees.

After you have the facts, sit down with some people you trust. Most importantly pick the degree that you want to do. So many people find that there degree is based upon assumptions of expectations of other people.

This sounds really cliched but it is important to trust your instinct and run with it.

bec007

HSC
Ben im in EXACTLY the same situation. i have no idea which one to choose as they are both, well at least they seem, quite similar. But ive been told the people at the two different unis are different, but im not sure if its true or if its just a couple of peoples opinions. One of my friends does communications at uts and says no one s really friends and then just do their course and go home. does anyone know if this is common or just her experience? As for the actual courses its so hard to choose because so many parts are similar. :(
-Bec

So-net

HSC
回覆: UTS or MACQ for MARKETING!?!?!

Benmontague said:
Hey guys,

Just hoping for a bit of an opinion from as many ppl as possible about this... I'm about to do the HSC and still havent decided which UNI I most want to go to....
Ive narrowed it down to two choices which are:

Macquarie Uni - B-Commerce-Marketing
UTS - B-Business (and then Major in Marketing ... and or advertising)

Suggestions or insights anyone ???
For marketing I will prefer UTS rather than Macquarie....

more practical....I did sit for lectuers in Macquarie marketing... but I'll prefer UTS more....

more flexibility....In my knowledge, you are not able to do double major if you choose Macquarie marketing....such as Finance and Marketing major .....whereas, UTS you can combine any majors you want Marketing with IT, Marketing with Accounting, Marketing with Finance, whatever you like.......and you can also change back to minor during your study, if you don't like it afterwards... but this determine by how many subjects you have already studied......

But there are some goods in Macquarie ... Macquarie have conceded pass..... from 45~49....where UTS don't have.... you pass then u pass... you fail then you fail.... no safety net

Good luck

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Re: 回覆: UTS or MACQ for MARKETING!?!?!

Why aren't you guys considering UNSW/USYD marketing programs? In my experience with internships and competitions, UNSW and USYD candidates are far more successful.

UNSW is more practical in its approach, but still balances theory quite well. USYD is more theoretical, but still balances some practical elements. Both lead to fantastic programs that certainly reflect positively on future working performance for their graduates.

My heat of the final round of CommBank Marketing Internships, for example, had (note that I only saw 9 of the 18 final round candidates):
1 Western Australia University (or something like that)
1 Norte Damne
3 USYD
1 UTS
3 UNSW

Furthermore, the final round of P&G, where only 8 students from 1,800 got through, featured 4 USYD students. I'm not sure what university the other students were from, though.

Unilever also works exclusively with UNSW and USYD for their competitions. Last year (Lipton comp) UNSW won, whilst this year USYD won.

Benmontague

excited much?
HSC
hmmm
I didnt really consider Usyd or UNSW because i got advice from my Business teachers at school that Macq or UTS were the places to go. At first I was leaning towards Macq but now towards UTS because, as was said earlier, its a much more flexible course. I can major in two subjects, like Marketing and advertising. Hmmmm.
The main issue is that I still dont reaaaally know what I want to do with my life......

My impression is that Macq is more theoretical wheras UTS is more practical..... what does everyone mean when they say that?? Do they mean Macq is just sitting at textbooks wheras UTS you do lots of group work or something?

Its now 2 weeks untill the HSC results are released, and I have a feeling that they are going to determine which course I do because i still really have no idea :S

stazi

Nightman
HSC
A teacher at school won't really know about graduate opportunities. They are unlikely to have ever been in that sector of the workforce, as they would have studied education.

UTS is certainly more practical, in that you are more likely to actually practice the theory. However, this also leads to a problem, in that not enough of the theory is learned, and decisions later in your life would be based more on past experiences, rather than a synthesis of what should be done and what can be done.

In my internship final rounds, I only encountered one candidate from MACQ and that was a girl who wasn't actually competing against me - she studied marketing there, but couldn't find employment, so was going for an interview to do secretarial work for P&G. Of course, this is an isolated case, but considering I did not meet any one from that uni, some generalisations can be made.

Another good breakdown of candidates is the P&G interns. They only take 2 from 1,800 for marketing, and 2 from around 1,000 for marketing research.

The four candidates selected were from:
University of Sydney (me)
RMIT
UTS/UNSW/USYD (can't determine which one yet, but I'm relatively certain it's one of those three as he only talks about those three unis in his blogs)
Another uni in melbourne

blOwfish

HSC
I was in the same position as you Benmontague, but didnt have MACQ in my mind. Instead it was more UTS/UNSW/USYD. After going to the opening days and etc it became clear that UTS was the place for me to go for marketing and advertising. It is true, that EVERYONE does say UTS is more practical, and having looked over my subjects for next year, alot of them are group projects and applied theoretical based projects, so i guess thats true. MACQ only offers you to completr 1 major, while the 3 other Sydney uni's allow you to do 2, offering you more choices and flexibility. But overall, USYD and UNSW seem more financially based to me, but in the end its your choice. Dont forget you can always transfer after semester 1 if you feel like youve made the wrong decision!

stazi

Nightman
HSC
blOwfish said:
I was in the same position as you Benmontague, but didnt have MACQ in my mind. Instead it was more UTS/UNSW/USYD. After going to the opening days and etc it became clear that UTS was the place for me to go for marketing and advertising. It is true, that EVERYONE does say UTS is more practical, and having looked over my subjects for next year, alot of them are group projects and applied theoretical based projects, so i guess thats true. MACQ only offers you to completr 1 major, while the 3 other Sydney uni's allow you to do 2, offering you more choices and flexibility. But overall, USYD and UNSW seem more financially based to me, but in the end its your choice. Dont forget you can always transfer after semester 1 if you feel like youve made the wrong decision!
yep, USYD and UNSW do have quantitative elements to them, which is also what makes the candidates more successful - you need accounting, finance and economic knowledge to succeed these days.

However, UTS is probably more appropriate for advertising, or if you want to work as well as study.

truper

HSC
krayzie_ said:
Bah.. so if I go to UTS i'm doomed?!
That's just one company and besides, I think it's better to get direct "first-hand" information from real UTS graduates rather than fully trusting in someone from another university.

If you have a look at the "Good Universities Guide 2008" the starting salary for UTS Business graduates is the highest and one of the best ranked. :)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
truper said:
That's just one company and besides, I think it's better to get direct "first-hand" information from real UTS graduates rather than fully trusting in someone from another university.

If you have a look at the "Good Universities Guide 2008" the starting salary for UTS Business graduates is the highest and one of the best ranked. :)
That's because many UTS students have the opportunity to walk part/full time whilst studying, so they get higher offers from the same companies upon graduation.

And this is more than just 'one company'.

However, you are not doomed by a long shot. It is only more difficult to get a job, but provided that you are an impressive candidate, you shouldn't have much trouble getting jobs with the bigger top companies.

truper

HSC
stazi said:
That's because many UTS students have the opportunity to walk part/full time whilst studying, so they get higher offers from the same companies upon graduation.

And this is more than just 'one company'.

However, you are not doomed by a long shot. It is only more difficult to get a job, but provided that you are an impressive candidate, you shouldn't have much trouble getting jobs with the bigger top companies.
University of Technology said:
Getting a job: 4/5
Positive graduate outcomes: 4/5
Graduate starting salary: 5/5
Getting a job (business and mngt): Better (highest)
University of Sydney said:
Getting a job: N/A
Positive graduate outcomes: N/A
Graduate starting salary: 4/5
University of New South Wales said:
Getting a job: 5/5
Positive graduate outcomes: 4/5
Graduate starting salary: 5/5
From "The Good Universities Guide 2008"

Pretty much the same, according to the research and the statistics. But as I said, it would be better to hear from a real UTS graduate.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
we're talking about marketing though, and marketing is very unique in that only a small number of jobs are available upon graduation vs. accounting

krayzie_

HSC
Are there heaps and heaps of jobs for accounting? Some of my friends seem to think accountants only have work during the tax return season! :confused:

Benmontague

excited much?
HSC
hmmm,
That is my problem though.. i know many people that go to UTS but I also know alot of people that go to MACQ..... I dont know anyone that does the commerce/business courses tho so I cant sit down and pick their brains. :(

Its now like 5 days away from when preferences are due and im still stuck ..

I get the impression that UTS is more my style because it is more hands on and prac based, which seems much more enjoyable than MACQ's theoretical approach.....
The other issue is however transport.

MACQ i can hop in my car and drive there in 20 mins.... finding a car park I understand is hell but 20 minutes nonetheless. UTS on the other hand means that I have to jump on a train for an hour or so... and then again back... thats 2hrs travel vs 40 mins.....

THIS is why im so stumped. Do I take an almost as good course based on convenience or do I spend the extra time on the train and go to UTS (and all those hours will really add up over time!!!)

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Benmontague said:
hmmm,
That is my problem though.. i know many people that go to UTS but I also know alot of people that go to MACQ..... I dont know anyone that does the commerce/business courses tho so I cant sit down and pick their brains. :(

Its now like 5 days away from when preferences are due and im still stuck ..

I get the impression that UTS is more my style because it is more hands on and prac based, which seems much more enjoyable than MACQ's theoretical approach.....
The other issue is however transport.

MACQ i can hop in my car and drive there in 20 mins.... finding a car park I understand is hell but 20 minutes nonetheless. UTS on the other hand means that I have to jump on a train for an hour or so... and then again back... thats 2hrs travel vs 40 mins.....

THIS is why im so stumped. Do I take an almost as good course based on convenience or do I spend the extra time on the train and go to UTS (and all those hours will really add up over time!!!)
Don't choose your course solely on the travel situation. Attend the advisory days and get more information on both courses- and choose from your impression of which one is a better uni for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)