• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

UTS or UNSW for cadetship ? (1 Viewer)

tipu

HSC
So, if anyone could give me a quick answer. Since UAC closes in like 55 mins. LOL
I have an offer from KPMG for their cadetship program in 2011.

My choices are either Business at UTS where I've heard the convenience factor is a big one or Commerce at UNSW where reputation is very good.
Also, I've heard that they're very stingy about overloading at UNSW which I want the option of doing where it's avaliable at UTS.

If anyone could give me advice on whether to opt for prestige or convenience, it would be very helpful... asap. :D

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Where are your friends going? Have you asked your other cadets?

I personally went to UNSW but this was quite inconvenient. Not sure what you meant about the stingy re: overloading, but during your full time work/part time uni, you can easily enrol in 3 subjects and noone blinks an eye. In your final year you can overload but hopefully you won't need to.

tipu

HSC
Cheers mate.
I just heard around the place that UNSW was less likely to let me enrol into 3 subjects as opposed to the norm of 2.
And most of my mates are heading over to UNSW anyways.

Could I just ask if you were the same position, where you want to be heading?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
As much as I like to rip on UNSW and some of the (inadequate) teaching staff, the inconvenience is easily outweighed by the fact that most of my friends both from high school and from work also were going to UNSW. You may have to catch an extra bus and it'll take extra time, but you'll get to hang out with your friends more/keep in touch easier I suppose. For the years you're full time uni and not working, you also can appreciate the campus life a bit more and see the sights.

That being said, based on my friends, those who chose UNSW vs. UTS for cadetships would've chosen the same universities regardless of the cadetship I'd say. As in, the convenience factor wasn't really a key factor in the decision making process.

tipu

HSC
Okay. Thanks a lot for your help.
Based on all that, I think I'll stick with UNSW. :)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
At the end of the day if you really hate it you can always transfer anyway. My mate on a cadetship transferred from UTS to UNSW.

determine

Premium Member
HSC
I personally would go for UTS, and am going for UTS myself haha. The convenience factor is very significant for me, and also I am doing a double degree with my cadetship (full-time uni and full-time work) - in my case, therefore, I really need to minimise any unnecessary travel time, and so going to UTS will definitely allow me to do that. At the end of the day, as it is continually being said, it doesn't matter which university you get your degree from and what marks you get, it is more the practical experience you get in the industry that will give you the edge. It is acknowledged that most of what you learn at any uni is meaningless theory, unless it is applied in a practical setting (which a cadetship allows you to do). Hope that's helpful..

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
^ That being said, I did FT work/FT uni in my final 2 years of my cadetship and it was manageable thanks to very flexible work arrangements with my firm. It won't happen for everyone nor will it be easy, but it is achievable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)