UTS or UNSW for Interior Design!!?? (1 Viewer)

~kiki

HSC
Ok, so its crunch time. From past or current students which is better?

I am drawn to UNSW because of the beautiful campus, although it is more difficult to get to.. Also, how heavy is the architecture side of the interior architecture degree at UNSW? Is UTS more focused on the design side? How do they compare. Depending on your degree did you feel it prepared you for the workforce?... D=

Any knowledge would be helpful at this point

choiman

d3peeto
HSC
please please anyone some advice would be helpful... im currently picking the courses for interior architecture at UNSW and they all sound so boring... i dont want to learn about history of interior design i just want a hands on approach, uno using computers and hand drawing and sketching, doesnt UNSW have that?

~kiki

HSC
choiman said:
please please anyone some advice would be helpful... im currently picking the courses for interior architecture at UNSW and they all sound so boring... i dont want to learn about history of interior design i just want a hands on approach, uno using computers and hand drawing and sketching, doesnt UNSW have that?
heh heh, you don't get to pick courses for interior architecture-- there are set courses you have to do. In the end I put interior architecture at UNSW as my first pref, however, I accepted my offer and then changed my prefs round in the late round so that theres still the possibility I have the chance to change... as far as I know, both technology and design studio are pretty hands on. When I went to the open day, one of the lecturers said they have you making models from day one, and they showed us a video of two of the technology tutorials where the students are learning about structures. It seemed pretty fun-- they give you the theory and then you apply it by making cardboard structures and stuff. Notice that design studio and technology have 3 hour and 4 hour tutorials attached to them... I assume we won't be sitting at desks doing theory work for three hours. In terms of design history-- I believe its a painless one hour lecture per week :).

Also-- for Communications 1 it says:

Description

This course is an introduction to the communications skills necessary in the study and practice of interior architecture. Students will develop technical drawing skills related to the production of plans, sections and elevations and the relationship of these two dimensional representations to three dimensional forms. Freehand sketching, colour theory and the principles of perspective in a variety of techniques and media also form a component of this course. These skills will be extended in a series of model making workshops using materials such as card, acrylic and timber. A series of structured workshops will also introduce students to three dimensional drawings, axonometric, isometric and associated rendering skills.

http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/degrees/bia/year1.asp

Aside from that (if I don't change my mind of course :p) I'll see you there :).

~kiki

HSC
angmor said:
well ill take it that at UTS interior design is in the same fac as architecture, and from surveys it shows that students studying arch and related stuff are unsatisfied with their course.
http://www.archsoc.com/kcas/studyingAuscharts.html
hey:), thanks for the info. Unfortunately, UNSW doesn't seem to fare much better though :p. I wonder what accounts for the big drop between 2004 and 2006. I just remember a couple of years back I was warned off UTS interior design by a student who was doing industrial design, but whos friends were doing the course and weren't satisfied. If you go on the uts websites, the two projects they have as examples for interior design are far from impressive. You'd think they'd have SOMETHING better to display, and if not, you've got to wonder why :p.

angmor

momentica-one.deviantart.
HSC
~kiki said:
hey:), thanks for the info. Unfortunately, UNSW doesn't seem to fare much better though :p. I wonder what accounts for the big drop between 2004 and 2006. I just remember a couple of years back I was warned off UTS interior design by a student who was doing industrial design, but whos friends were doing the course and weren't satisfied. If you go on the uts websites, the two projects they have as examples for interior design are far from impressive. You'd think they'd have SOMETHING better to display, and if not, you've got to wonder why :p.
So, come to UNSW :D

arcea

HSC
I disagree and many things have changed since 2008 (when this thread started).

But I'm hoping that people are interested to know that as of 2012 the Interior & Spatial Design course at UTS is (to the industry) a much better course than the Interior Architecture course at UNSW.

Why? Here's a few reasons:

1) UTS: DAB (Design, Architecture & Building) is an entire faculty dedicated to courses in design and has earnt a reputation for being a university stream-lined for the design industry. The DAB faculty is already a good sign for any employers out there (I know this from experience, internships etc). Whilst UNSW & COFA is prestigious and much better AS A UNIVERSITY, all industry-based design courses taught at UTS are generally considered more creative & practical when you step into the industry.

2) The lessons at UTS are more flexible and open. They teach you how to survive in the industry and throw you at real-industry-based projects so you can gather experience. Just this year (2012), a bunch of Interior and Spatial Design students (2nd and 3rd years) were sent to create installations & gallery areas for the 2012 Sydney Biennale.

3) Ask anyone studying Interior Design at UTS and compare them to the ones studying Interior Architecture at UNSW and you will find that the Interior Design course is more "hardcore". The Interior Design course is a lot more demanding and you'll find yourself spending A LOT MORE late nights doing the assignments (JUST AS YOU WOULD WHEN YOU STEP INTO THE INDUSTRY). The fact that you survive through the course means that you have the ability to survive the industry (other people's words, not mine).

There's a lot more reasons but these in my opinion are the three most important. You can disagree with me, but these are just the opinions of my employers and past-employers. Ultimately, THEY will be the one PAYING you and EMPLOYING you so I think their opinions matter a lot more than what your fellow students think.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)