UTS Residences (1 Viewer)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Has anyone else got an offer to live in the UTS residences? I got mine today!!! I can't login to accept though, the site won't work... I also don't know which residence I got in to, I hope it's the new one because it's so central and I have only been to Sydney about 3 times in my entire life lol!

So anyone else get an offer?? Does the site work for anyone else?

Also does anyone know if that $300 deposit is refundable, because we have to accept the accomodation offer before we get our uni offers, and I might not scrape in to my course.... and I don't want to throw away $300 of hard earned cash.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
I believe you can, but space is very limited. They just opened up around 350 new spaces at the new Quadrant building just 5 mins walk down from UTS. I'm not sure how the application process works though, perhaps call up UTS, or braindrainedAsh may be able to tell you.

Tenax Propositi

there's just no oxygen
HSC
this is a really stupid question - but did u win the residence for free or something?

when and how did u apply???

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Not as far as I know, lol. You have to apply mainly because there are so many students wanting it, but limited places available. They look at your applications and try to choose the people who really need it and would benefit from it.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Did anyone do a tour of the residences at advisory day? The new one was awesome!!!!!! I've got a place in that one cos I went and saw the housing people and they said that was where I had been placed yay yay yay!

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
hey braindrained ash, how much per week do you have to pay for this thing? and what is included, like is it just rent or rent+bills?

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
lol i'm blind
thanks.

i'm just trying to figure out what is more expensive- share accomodation or student accomodation. i think they both have their pros and cons

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Well, the new UTS residence is really really nice, and when you look at the prices considering it's location and goodness, it's a pretty good price.

The apartments have nearly everything in them.... the kitchen includes a fridge, stovetop, microwave, toaster, kettle, rice cooker... you just need to supply your own crockery and utensils (and I'm going to buy one of those George Forman grill things because that's what we use at home a lot... one that makes toasted sandwiches too lol)... in the bigger apartments with more people the kitchens are double kitchens with 2 of everything..... in your bedrooms you get an ironing board, vacuum cleaner, bed (I think they are king singles?), wheel out storage box under bed, desk, shelves, filing cabinet, big built in wardrobe with glass mirror doors... I think that was it. Plus it has broadband internet connection, it costs extra to use it but it is still cheap....

There is also a big bbq/party area and common room on the roof.... the roof has Sydney harbour views! And also a laundry.

Hope this info helps.

jayz

walking
*in shock*, firstly, i hav noe idea y ppl would lyk to pay around 120bucks/wk to share an apartment wif 6 (i repeat-6) other students!!! although it is true everything is made out perfectly for u to live in, i.e. u hav not a worry in the world, but i just can't comprehend y would established aus students (by tat i mean not students who just arrived in aus) lyk to live somewhere, undutifully not only wif high accommodation cost, but also living cost?, i.e. food etc (maybe no tranport fee is a plus, but still...)

btw, would anyone lyk to share accomadation wif me? lol

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
The reason why I want to live there is because I am moving from a rural area.... I have only been to Sydney a couple of times in my life and I don't know my way around, nor do I have any relatives/friends in Sydney!

If you are haring with 6, you get a really big lounge room, 2 bathrroms and 2 kitchens.... and everyone gets their own bedroom.

jayz

walking
Originally posted by braindrainedAsh
If you are sharing with 6, you get a really big lounge room, 2 bathrroms and 2 kitchens.... and everyone gets their own bedroom.
TRUE, lol, but its still very cramped and....(the list goes on) lol

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Yeah but still, for someone that doesn't know their way around, or anyone, in Sydney, it's the best option for first year I think!

louise18

i lived in there for 6months 2003, really central....

your roomates can be a bitch sometimes....there are lots of cockroaches....the rooms are really big (lounge & even bedroom) compared to other inner city houses.....the rent is pretty expensive.....

It is easy to get in....its not selective they only say that try and fill the spots, first yrs get preference....

I just got over it really quickly, at least share houses u can pick who you live with....internet is expensive.....

but uts is a great uni ......i really like it (im buisness/science)

jayz

walking
Originally posted by braindrainedAsh
Yeah but still, for someone that doesn't know their way around, or anyone, in Sydney, it's the best option for first year I think!
by no means am i persuading u to do anything, and i do value ur current position. (just to clear out the misunderstandings, lol)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Yeah I do see how different people have different needs etc, I think it is a good option depending on what you are after. I'm probably only going to stay there for a year or so anyway...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)