UTS, UOW or UNSW? (1 Viewer)

klufs2003

jesus lol
HSC
hey guys, im thinking of doin electrical engy with commerce but trying to decide which uni to goto. At the moment im leaning UOW because im still unsure of what major i wanna do and at UOW i get 2.5 yrs to choose between electrical, computer or telecom engy, i spose it also takes the least amount of time to complete the double degree too. What do you guys think? Why should i choose UTS or UNSW over UOW?

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
im planning to do electrical engineering as well and ive chosen UNSW. it has by far the biggest faculty and has a good reputation for ee. there is a whole 5 storey building devoted to it.

as far as changing majors is concerned, at unsw the first 2 years for electrical and telecommunications are identical; so there would be no problem there. Computer engineering is a bit different, but first year is still the same. You'll find at most unis that the first and second year subjects for computer, electrical and telecom are pretty similar and that's its only in 3rd and 4th years that you begin to diversify.

Also, UNSW has an excellent commerce faculty, so that would suit you for your double degree.

UOW is also supposed to have a good engineering faculty, but i didn't look into it because i don't intend on moving out.

UTS will try and use the 12 month internship which is built into the 5 year degree as their main selling point, but i've heard it's not too difficult to get some work experience over the summer holidays no matter what uni you go to. You may as well get uni finished and enter the workforce sooner in my opinion. Also UTS has a crap campus - i know i wouldnt want to be spending too much time cramped in that stuffy office block.

hope all this helps - this is sort of what i've gleaned from going to a couple of different info days and talking to lots of different people.

UNSW all the way!!

lol, have a good christmas and good luck with choosing your uni.

Last edited:

klufs2003

jesus lol
HSC
yeah, you make good points but i spose for me travel isnt really an issue because i live between uow and unsw. I also heard that the ee fail rate at unsw is 80% but ill have to look into it more

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
well for engineering, its UNSW no doubt for me but which major are you thinking of for comm?

ioniser

HSC
ianc said:
UTS will try and use the 12 month internship which is built into the 5 year degree as their main selling point, but i've heard it's not too difficult to get some work experience over the summer holidays no matter what uni you go to. You may as well get uni finished and enter the workforce sooner in my opinion. Also UTS has a crap campus - i know i wouldnt want to be spending too much time cramped in that stuffy office block.

Yes it actually is hard to get vacation work during the holidays,its not something you just apply for and you get it.There are more people who apply for vacation work than that of people applying for graduate recruitment this being because everyone studying engineering can apply for vacation work compared with the the small portion of people of graduating.Not only that the asx 200 companies usually only hire about 5 people who are in their final years. So you can do the sums to figure it out.

not only that its preferred you do experience with in normal periods when a company is in high demand hence you feel the full pressure.The average graduate also earns above the average graduate in engineering for the next 5 years running this includes against all universities in sydney.

uts has a shit campus my ass it does ,as far as i know all the other unis the general thing to do after uni is go home.The genral thing to do at uts is go shopping ,eat out, hit the cinemas, drink up in near my clubs and bars on Geroge street then go home. You cant do that at any other uni since they are so isolated( no one hangs out on campus at uts)

all together wollongong is pretty much the best for undergrad in terms of content suitability,salary, pass rates ,employment,teaching and resources hence why they have wont the teaching award for like 5 years straight.........all the other methods of ranking unis are useless to undergraduates as they are mostly based on postgraduate research

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)