• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

UTS vs Sydney vs UNSW? (1 Viewer)

Which uni would you recommend a law degree from?

• UTS

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Sydney

Votes: 28 48.3%
  • UNSW

Votes: 18 31.0%

• Total voters

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
From what I've seen I'm fairly certain I want to go to UTS, however this is based purely on what I've seen not much from what I've heard from people who actually do law. Atm Syd + UTS are my preferred options purely because they're abt 10 mins away on a bus (opposed to UNSW which is 40mins-1hr) but I don't know that much about each course itself. So if you could give me your opinion that would great.

(Yes I know I'm thinking about this early. I can't sleep. :cool: )

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
oh gee, 'sorry, no matches...please try another term'.

sorry to have invaded this obviously jumpin' forum with a simple question. :rolleyes:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
sorry glyc, didn't mean to be offensive. no i'm serious, do a search around the terms 'UTS UNSW USYD Law'. there have been lots of constructive discussion arguing the pros and cons of each law faculty. Your choice of educational institution is unlikely, however, going to affect your chances for employment [this has been a highly contentious issue apparently].

but obviously, it comes down to personal preference and your marks. at the moment, I would recommend either UNSW or UTS. :)

timrie6

HSC
N/A
A friend of mine did law at UTS and said it was the best as it teaches u to apply law practically, not just all theory.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
sorry frigid, was more snapping at my not many hours of sleep than what you said. :)

i'll have a search.

felafel

hmmmm shouldn't this thread be MacQ vs UTS vs Sydney vs UNSW?

(how can you forget the third oldest law school in Sydney! behind unsw and usyd)

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
out of interest, what is the proportion of asians/indians to anglo's at unsw law?

felafel

Professor Ros Atherton (Law): said the law school at Macquarie University had become (percieved as) a ‘basket case’, and the turmoil had its origins in the way the school was founded, on the basis of the critical studies movement, Sydney Morning Herald, 17 November

"perceived as" i think is important here!

Last edited:

felafel

absolution* said:
out of interest, what is the proportion of asians/indians to anglo's at unsw law?
i'm not sure, but what i DO know is that out of 350 UNSW law students, 170 are full fee-paying

usyd?
250 law students; 60 are full fee-paying

MacQ?
i don't know how many law students, but no full fee-paying (excluding international students that is)

felafel

yeah so many people doing law these days, soon having a combined degree of law with whatever won't be that special!

felafel

okay, maybe not "special" but . . . significant?

and it seems like the whole world is getting MBAs these days

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
easily...your own dean, Ms Atherton, said your law school was a 'basket case'
tim, please dun uni-bash... you've taken the quote out of context:
Laws Unto Themselves
Sydney Morning Herald
17th November 2001

"...While Sydney University put its house in order, another big change was taking place at North Ryde. There, the law school at Macquarie University had become a "basket case", says the dean, Ros Atherton. The turmoil had its origins in the way the school was founded, on the basis of the critical studies movement.

"They practically didn't want to teach law," Harding says. Torn apart with ideological battles, the school faced threats of closure.

Two years ago, Atherton became dean. Her aim was to reshape it, but not abandon its original focus entirely. Atherton, a former head girl of Ascham school, wants to keep the "hallmark of the place ... that really scholarly sense of the law which locates it in a much broader context in relation to other disciplines. If you learn a whole lot of rules you will know the rules relevant at that time; you won't learn legal skills to solve a problem at any time. It's about training a way of thinking, emphasis on deep learning." "
if anybody's interested, use your uni library resources and 'factiva' the article... it highlights the positives of each law school. however, the article admits, on many fronts, that the best law schools, as perceived by the larger firms, are UNSW, USyd (equal first) and then followed by ANU. UTS gets quite a mention too.

Last edited:

felafel

it makes sense that the larger firms perceive UNSW USYD ANU as the "better" law schools - they are the oldest

graduates from UNSW USYD ANU have taken many of the prominent senior positions in law firms and so they prefer their own universities!

I'm guessing UTS gets a mention because it's a very practical course, dissimilar to the program that other unis offer.

and MacQ? haha it's only a matter of time!

the http://www.thegoodguides.com.au/ is another good resource to compare universities

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
Jeesus Frigid. I've been looking for that article. And I totally forgot about factiva :rolleyes:

On a side note. Did you use unsw sirius to get to factiva, Frigid? I cannot believe why the library changed sirius. It used to be SO MUCH EASIER to use. Now it's just complex for no reason.
yes, i've started using the UNSW resources... i can still access UTS library's too :cool:

i dunno, how did sirius change? i never saw the old one... but you can click on 'Categories' and everything we always need should be in either 'Commerce or Economics' or 'Law'. on thing i noticed is that UNSW still has Econlit, whereas UTS cancelled their subscription (a poor choice, considering Econlit gives access to 'The Economist' magazine).

if i got my UAI back in 2001 i could have went to either USyd or UNSW without any of this transferring/make up credits business :uhhuh:

sypher

HSC
Are there any stats on how much graduate suburbun solicitors make?

If the cream of the crop law students (i.e. the 25-50 graduates hired per firm) make $38-50k at big city law firms.. wtf do the others make?

Us non USYD/UNSW students are so inferior that we should just give up and die. We are worthless.. :( :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)