Uts vs unsw pre-med (1 Viewer)

studynerd

HSC
Hi guys, i got an offer for sci adv pre-med at uts and medical science at unsw. Don't know which one is better :'( All i know is the uts students will be more competitive cus the atar cut off is 99.75 (with a max of 4 bonus points) while unsw is 94 with a max of 2 bonus points. Need help with this important decision

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Xt

HSC
N/A
Hi guys, i got an offer for sci adv pre-med at uts and medical science at unsw. Need help with this important decision
This isn't even a contest. Go with UNSW since they offer a pathway directly into their medical program.

Oer

Started from the fundus
HSC
This isn't even a contest. Go with UNSW since they offer a pathway directly into their medical program.
For a maximum of 8 people. I.e. you need an extremely high WAM; and you still need the UMAT.
That definitely can't be relied on as option to get into med, it's very unlikely to get it. Very weak reason to choose the course.
I would go for a course/uni that I'm comfortable with and know I can do well in if I was aiming for med.

If someone is doing Med Sci, it should be because they want to do Med Sci. Not because they think it will get you into med. The most sure fire thing to get you into med is a killer GPA in ANY degree.

jack2230

HSC
Also I don't know where you get your cut-off data from however the UTS course appears to have a cutoff of only 97 which sounds about right, plus up to 5 academic bonus points for things such as getting a Band 4 in HSC Biology similar to UNSW's HSC Plus and EAS which many, many people are eligible for and UTS seems to apply bonus points under that scheme more liberally than UNSW/USYD. Any-who, go with whatever is closer, suits your needs etc. For many people UNSW is a trek to get too whilst UTS is right at central. The extra travel time could amount to 40 minutes a day for example, nearly 3 and a half hours across the week in time you could have spent studying. Basically all you need for Med is a stellar GPA + GAMSAT/UMAT/Whatever else and I wouldn't really on that 6-8 person scheme that UNSW as the only reason to do that course like what has been said above. The UNSW cohort would be much more competitive than the UTS one (whom you are competing with normal Med Sci/Biomed Sci etc students in most classes with cutoffs around 80-90) and I have heard rumors that the competition is so fierce at UNSW Med Sci that it breeds a toxic social environment among many of the students.

Xt

HSC
N/A
For a maximum of 8 people. I.e. you need an extremely high WAM; and you still need the UMAT.
That definitely can't be relied on as option to get into med, it's very unlikely to get it. Very weak reason to choose the course.
I would go for a course/uni that I'm comfortable with and know I can do well in if I was aiming for med.
Sorry for not being clear. I meant go for UNSW since they offer an additional pathway into medicine. Would be silly to rely on Lateral Entry as the only option to gain entry to medical school.

Last edited:

A1P

HSC
Sorry for not being clear. I meant go for UNSW since they offer an additional pathway into medicine.
Good if additional at no cost, no good if at the cost of hurting your potential in the larger pathways.

In a cohort with more capable students your chance for a high GPA is reduced as exams/marks will be "shaped" to prevent too many HDs/Ds per course.

Renaaa

HSC
Uni Grad
Sorry for not being clear. I meant go for UNSW since they offer an additional pathway into medicine. Would be silly to rely on Lateral Entry as the only option to gain entry to medical school.

Hey!

Based on experience/advice from previous years, lateral entry into UNSW medical school is pretty hard! During my coursework year (year 3 medicine), most of the 10 lateral entry students were University medallist (topping modules/courses). Competition is intense - though once you get to the interview stage you apparently have a 33-50% chance of getting in.

I recommend you don't solely rely on Lateral Entry as the competition is really steep. You could keep that path open while thinking of other ways to enter into med school (e.g GAMSAT- as people do start preparing way in advance)

fizzbylightning

HSC
Uni Grad
Your end goal is to study medicine. You have to think about which university degree will give you the best chance of getting there. UNSW Medical Science does have the reputation of being competitive. But I would also question the high cut-off score for entry into UTS Advanced Science. I had no idea it was that high. If the cut-off is higher than UNSW Medical Science's is, there is the possibility that that degree will also be competitive as each student have to earn their spot academically to gain entry. Does the UTS Advanced Science degree require that you do a year of research in its final year? If you are not successful with the UMAT, you will have to finish either degree and try out for the GAMSAT and you might want to think about whether one year of research would be something you'd like to do. Also consider campus life and what each uni offers in terms of facilities as you'll be spending 3-4 years if you complete the degree and you want to enjoy your time at uni as that would be conducive to successful study.

Medman

HSC

If someone is doing Med Sci, it should be because they want to do Med Sci. Not because they think it will get you into med. The most sure fire thing to get you into med is a killer GPA in ANY degree.
Then no one should ever do Med Science because you can do the same thing in a normal Science degree and have more choice on majors. My friends from USYD Med Sci told me at one stage they were not getting majors because they weren't fulfilling the credit requirements which caused issues when they wanted to pursue honours. I'm sure things have changed now but essentially medical science is comparable to an arts degree in the sense that you can end up in any job in science in the future.

Choose the degree that will allow you to achieve a high GPA for application into med next year or through graduate pathways. Getting into med at UNSW through medical science isn't impossible but it's very difficult (I've had two students get in through this pathway but you will still need to sit the UMAT and interview).

Last edited:

Oer

Started from the fundus
HSC
Then no one should ever do Med Science because you can do the same thing in a normal Science degree and have more choice on majors.
Well no, doing a med sci degree is fine if med sci (not med) is what you're actually interested. But I agree that a BSci is more useful and flexible otherwise

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)