UTS Vs UNSW Vs USYD (Civil Structural Engineering) (1 Viewer)

Benmc

HSC
Hey guys

Uni preferences close tommorow for main round offers. I'm still undecisive as for which uni to go to, to complete a Civil (Structural) Engineering degree. Anyway, i have a few questions that would be great if answered.

1. Is Civil (majoring in structural) the same as just civil engineering, except you major in something? Like could a person doing civil (structural) get a job as a person doing just civil engineering?

2. I don't know which UNI to go to. However i've heard UNSW is the best, but after looking through threads, alot of ppl say it is just good for Research and post graduates etc. Anyway regarding this situation, i've already been offered a prelimiary offer from the UTS for Civil (structural) engineering, along with a RTA rural scholarship on a provisional basis (Provisional subject to acceptable HSC acheivement and having a UTS course offered to me).

I don't know why i am still asking, but i'm still indecivise.
I hear that work experience is what employers are looking for, which is why UTS looks so promising. But UNSW is still dubbed as a Australias 1st for engineering and Sydney carries alot of prestige.

So anyway...which uni is best for Civil (Structural) engineering? UNSW, UTS or USYD?

3. Thirdly and lastly, does anyone know the engineering student numbers at each of the universities? In terms of 1st year students?

Cheers
Thanks for the help!

KD

HSC
N/A
1. Yes, Civil (structural) is just a marketing term. Any Civil Engeer can practice as a structural engineer. Do the Civil degree and just choose the structural electives. It is the same and companies know this. It is also better because if you change your mind you can do the other Civil electives.

2. UNSW best for engineering and will get you a good job. But, if you get paid a whole lot of money to go to UTS ...

3. UNSW biggest with about 160 last year.

Benmc

HSC
KD said:
3. UNSW biggest with about 160 last year.
Thanks for the reply. Its just that i asked UTS once on interview day and they told me they had about 260 1st year students in engineering (don't know if its whole facaulty or just civil).

So is your 160 number the whole facaulty or just the civil engineering strand?

Cheers

KD

HSC
N/A
Benmc said:
Thanks for the reply. Its just that i asked UTS once on interview day and they told me they had about 260 1st year students in engineering (don't know if its whole facaulty or just civil).

So is your 160 number the whole facaulty or just the civil engineering strand?

Cheers
There is about 1000 engineers in 1st year at UNSW.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)