UTS vs USYD Engineering (2 Viewers)

D94

HSC
N/A
Between UTS and USYD, definitely UTS and they also have the mandatory one year work experience which is really helpful in finding jobs after you graduate.
Just elaborating on anomalousdecay,

That one year experience is to fulfil the requirements of the Diploma of Engineering Practice. All Engineers Australia accredited engineering programs require you to do at least 60 days of work experience in order for you to graduate. So whether it's at USYD or UNSW or the other side of the country at UWA, you need to do that work experience. You could simply take a year off to do work experience at any other university, so that one year experience at UTS should not be a decisive factor. Also note that you aren't 'given' that work experience; you need to find it yourself, as with any other accredited program.

JamesGoh

HSC
I graduated from a telecoms degree from UTS and would say the best parts of the degree was the one year mandatory work experience. However, I found the course structure to be quite poorly planned and supported, particularly for introductory to digital systems, circuit analysis and communication theory (now continuous communications and discrete communications). The lecturers of those subjects made a huge assumption about student's prior knowledge and it resulted in either ridiculously hard assignments or high subject failure rates. Furthermore, we had to do useless subjects like Uncertainties and Risks

When I compared the USYD and UNSW engineering program, I found that they were more better organised academically but they only had 60 days of work experience. UNSW also had more on campus activities to build engineering experience (BLUEsat is a good example). However Im only going by what I saw on paper. I'd need a graduate from those universities to give a more honest opinion

D94

HSC
N/A
I graduated from a telecoms degree from UTS and would say the best parts of the degree was the one year mandatory work experience. However, I found the course structure to be quite poorly planned and supported, particularly for introductory to digital systems, circuit analysis and communication theory (now continuous communications and discrete communications). The lecturers of those subjects made a huge assumption about student's prior knowledge and it resulted in either ridiculously hard assignments or high subject failure rates. Furthermore, we had to do useless subjects like Uncertainties and Risks

When I compared the USYD and UNSW engineering program, I found that they were more better organised academically but they only had 60 days of work experience. UNSW also had more on campus activities to build engineering experience (BLUEsat is a good example). However Im only going by what I saw on paper. I'd need a graduate from those universities to give a more honest opinion
No, a minimum of 60 days is an Engineers Australia requirement for all accredited engineering programs (except mining which is 80 days). Even UTS undergraduates require at least 60 days, but since the Diploma requires you to do 1 year of work experience, well you must meet the UTS requirement as well. UNSW or USYD students can do 1 year if they want to - that is at least 60 days. You were clearly misled at some stage when choosing which university to go to, if your deciding factor was the length of the work experience.

Michaelleroy

HSC
I'm sure it all comes to your location, and how close you are to that uni to make traveling easier.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)