Uts (1 Viewer)

epsilon

HSC
How's UTS generally preceived? What's it rep? Is it considered a 'good' uni? What is it 'good' at? (eg. UNSW-commerce/law/engineering, Syd-arts/law, Macq-actuary science, etc) I'm interested in studying b. business (accounting) there. I used to think that it's b. business is generally thought of as being behind UNSW's, but ahead of Macq's b. commerce (accounting), but now I'm not so sure. Not to sure how it compares to U Sydney's one though. Is my assumption the general assumption out there? Please feel free to give me your opinions, even though it may be tainted by biased! :) I just wanna know.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Generally i think USYD commerce and UNSW comerce are seen to be of higher standings with employers, however, whether its better than macQ im not sure. Try using the search function, i was just reading a thread about this before.

IronMike

HSC
N/A
In my personal opinion, I'd rank:
1) UNSW/USYD
2) UTS
3) MAQ

However, I also feel that even though there may be a slight difference in WHAT each institution teaches/offers or how they run their programs, I think commerce/business degree in all these institutions are decent. It'd be pretty hard to pick out a winner in the field of commerce. Unlike Acturial studies, law etc where we all know which uni has better rep for it. Then again, how do you really define "GOOD" or "Quality education"?

People say UTS offers a superb Business degree even though it's UAI requirement is lower than those of USYD/UNSW. So it's like good education for low uai. good product for low price. BANG FOR YOUR BUCK uni.
As for Maq, I like the fact that it has such a diverse range of combined courses in the field of commerce. This is a big TICKER for MAQ.
As for UNSW/USYD, I'd say its more about prestiage than anything. In saying that, I'm pretty sure they also provide execellent teaching.

Really depends on what uni feels right for you.

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
i thought about this too, i was about to put a post on this in the uts section .......:)

i was thinking of how uts was formerly called the institute of technology before being called a uni- in other words : TAFE!

so for those who can answer this question (have gone to uts, tafe or a reputable uni)
do u feel like ur in a uni, or do u feel like ur in TAFE! :) ?????

thanks

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
mr EaZy said:
i was thinking of how uts was formerly called the institute of technology before being called a uni- in other words : TAFE!
did you know:
The University was incorporated by Act of the Parliament of New South Wales in Sydney in 1949, but its character and idea can be traced back to the formation of the Sydney Mechanics Institute in 1843, leading to the formation of the Sydney Technical College in 1878. The Institute sought 'the diffusion of scientific and special knowledge', the College sought to apply and teach it.

Commenced as The New South Wales University of Technology, the University's international context is that of the Australian recognition of that scientific and technological impulse in tertiary education that produced the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and the Berlin University of Technology. It acknowledged at university level that profound development in human knowledge and concern that had impelled the nineteenth century industrial and scientific revolution.
this is University of New South Wales i'm talking about.

UNSW and UTS both sprung out of the same institute of technology. so nerr :p

*Erika*

HSC
mr EaZy said:
i thought about this too, i was about to put a post on this in the uts section .......:)

so for those who can answer this question (have gone to uts, tafe or a reputable uni)
do u feel like ur in a uni, or do u feel like ur in TAFE! :) ?????

thanks
i'd wanna hope i don't feel like i'm going to tafe next year with a UAI in the 90s...

S

Shuter

*Erika* said:
i'd wanna hope i don't feel like i'm going to tafe next year with a UAI in the 90s...
i'd wanna hope you stop reffering to how you got a UAI in the 90's next year...

*Erika*

HSC
get over yourself sweetheart...

i was just making a joke......

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
UTS is all for practicality. They don't value theory as much as most universities, generally.

This can be both good and bad.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Slide Rule said:
UTS is all for practicality. They don't value theory as much as most universities, generally.

This can be both good and bad.
Um, I wouldn't say that. Theory is not "less emphasised" than other universities, it's just that UTS emphasises a balance between theory and practical knowledge much more than other institutions. For example, if a company wants to hire a fresh graduate accountant and needed to choose between a USyd and UTS graduate with identical grades and credentials, they would probably go for the UTS kid because of UTS' reputation for excellent practical skills (and USyd's lack thereof).

Last edited:

D.Larie

Well, I like how UTS offers students a chance to do practical professional experience...while UNSW doesn't.
I would love to dosome professional experience and end up keeping it as a career. :)

aditya

HSC
that professional experience is at ur own discretion and with software engineering, wihch is what im doing, i compared the three universityies being uts,usyd unsw and i found that unsw and usyd had much more balanced degrees than that of uts...

uts was like this course is to learn how to design this aspect of software and another is for that and another and so on. This way the students feel ok, all aspects are covered and i dunt need to explore it on my own. With the theory based degrees of usyd and unsw, u do maths, physics and compting courses at particular levels and then goto a "workshop" or a software construction subject and apply all that knowledge in devleoping and learning about software engineering at ur own level of ability and interest....

tahts wat ive found anyway...

for an accounting major, unsw is by far the best followed by usyd.... but for finance its the other way around (again based on what the subjects involve etc i.e. my intepretation) and econometrcs is 10x better at sydney than at unsw :| on arguments there, i wunt accept any.... just read thorugh and yeh, ull see urself

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)