UWS 2015/16 Interviews (1 Viewer)

A1P

HSC
Weighting is 1 + 2 + a little bit (nobody knows exactly how much, but definitely less than half judging from last year) of 3.
I start to doubt the "less than half S3" conjecture.

In previous years 1+1+0.5 Kawaisaki's 154.5 would have got an interview. Now his S3 is the lowest of the three scores so the less they use S3 the more it'd be to his advantage. But didn't turn out.

sn1p

HSC
I start to doubt the "less than half S3" conjecture.

In previous years 1+1+0.5 Kawaisaki's 154.5 would have got an interview. Now his S3 is the lowest of the three scores so the less they use S3 the more it'd be to his advantage. But didn't turn out.
They surely wouldn't change it after a year though. Last year my 1+2+.5*3 weighted would have gotten an interview (since someone else with a lower score by that system got an offer), and it definitely wasn't more than half of 3 since my s3 score was higher than that of the person in question...

MissE

HSC
N/A
Just got an email stating I didn't meet the UMAT threshold :( - i got 65/60/59 (91%)

Any idea of UMAT section weightings?
I got an interview with a weighted score of 155 and I'm also non standard non GWS.
My scores were 60, 62, 66.
From comparing our scores - If S3 were weighted any less than half, I wouldn't have gotten an interview. 155 looks like it's the cut-off

Kawaisaki

HSC
N/A
I got an interview with a weighted score of 155 and I'm also non standard non GWS.
My scores were 60, 62, 66.
From comparing our scores - If S3 were weighted any less than half, I wouldn't have gotten an interview. 155 looks like it's the cut-off
Doh! It hurts to miss out by a mere 0.5 but thnx for the info :) good to kno!

A1P

HSC
Doh! It hurts to miss out by a mere 0.5 but thnx for the info :) good to kno!
Keep in touch with UWS hopefully some interstaters will have obtained a local place by Jan and decline UWS interview, freeing up a few places for you.

Anyway going by MissE's scores UWS could not be using even 0.4*S3 (as her weighted score would be lower than K's). On that point UWS can withhold cut-off score but should make public the method & formulas. It is largely public funded, not self-funded to do as it pleases.

Last edited:

A1P

HSC
Hey Sn1p here's a challenge for you to work out the formula UWS uses :)

K's 65/60/59 - No interview
MissE's 60/62/66 - Yes
Saw on MSO: 67/58/68 - No (with letter saying not meeting UMAT threshold, not due to ATAR)

Looks like apart from S3, S1 is heavily discounted too.

MissE

HSC
N/A

MissE's 60/62/66 - Yes
Saw on MSO: 67/58/68 - No (with letter saying not meeting UMAT threshold, not due to ATAR)

Maybe they also use threshold scores for one or more sections?

I don't understand why they can't make their formula public, it's not like it's going to change the scores people receive!?

sn1p

HSC

MissE's 60/62/66 - Yes

Jesus that actually sucks. The MSO person has the same scores as me except S1, so it seems like S1's been hit pretty hard in addition to S3. We can definitely rule out S1 not counting because otherwise I'd be out of business too :p
In all seriousness though 193 UMAT with a pretty good section split like that has to be getting an interview to WSU so I have no idea what happened :/

Wouldn't be surprised if there was one big fuck up during number crunching.

Last edited:

popandi22

HSC
Would you get away with a high 80%ile (UMAT) if you were a GWS applicant (just curious)?

bangladesh

HSC
Would you get away with a high 80%ile (UMAT) if you were a GWS applicant (just curious)?
highly unlikely but would depend on what your section breakdown is I guess.

was 91%ile GWS in 2014, didn't get interview for 2015 entry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)