UWS Commerce/Business (1 Viewer)

arsenal_jake

HSC
I have got an offer to this- B Bachelor of Commerce and Business. Can others tell me if it's worth going to and doing the course? Also if others are gonna do this, you should say haha.

Last edited:

Bananaberry

HSC
I did it. Have a really good job in a marketing managers role now. Nothing wrong with it at all.

Kalashnikov47

HSC
I disagree with Bananaberry, I finished my first year BBC/Laws at UWS. I cant think of a single good thing to say about the bachelor of commerce program, which in my opinion is totally farcical -- the teaching is crap, the units are not organised properly, some assessments are ludicrous, some units are totally pointless (especially the infamous business academic skill), the textbooks are unintelligible, most students don't give a shit about study, staff-student ratio is about 1:1 million...

I don't understand what you mean by "worth doing". If you want to do commerce but this is the only commerce degree you can realistically get into, then it is worth doing (since you've got nothing to lose). But if it isnt, or you are expecting another offer, then I'd say: RUN! Run for your life!

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
well you are a FIRST YEAR student, and seeing as how Bananaberry has already graduated, OP should take more weight on BananaBerry

i'm doing that degree + the law component.

Bananaberry

HSC
I disagree with Bananaberry, I finished my first year BBC/Laws at UWS. I cant think of a single good thing to say about the bachelor of commerce program, which in my opinion is totally farcical -- the teaching is crap, the units are not organised properly, some assessments are ludicrous, some units are totally pointless (especially the infamous business academic skill), the textbooks are unintelligible, most students don't give a shit about study, staff-student ratio is about 1:1 million...

I don't understand what you mean by "worth doing". If you want to do commerce but this is the only commerce degree you can realistically get into, then it is worth doing (since you've got nothing to lose). But if it isnt, or you are expecting another offer, then I'd say: RUN! Run for your life!

Well it worked for me.

rx34

HSC

Kalashnikov47's post provides more in-depth detail and with valuable points, so I would hold her post with more weight compared to a single-line response. Are you still doing this degree at UWS?

Bananaberry

HSC
Kalashnikov47's post provides more in-depth detail and with valuable points, so I would hold her post with more weight compared to a single-line response. Are you still doing this degree at UWS?

I've mentiond my position in numerous threads, but at the risk of repeating myself...

I am a UWS business/commerce graduate, with a major in marketing.
I had absolutley no problems. All my lectures/tutors were professionals in their field as well as being academics and I found their teaching excellent, especially their personalised approach to students.
I found all my assignments highly enjoyable (except for the subjects I hated like accounting and stats). I liked the fact our assignments enabled us to be creative and work with real business like in our major marketing project our real-life client piced the best marketing plan to be applied to their product that was sold to the public.

I liked the fact that I was able to do electives outside my degree that interested me like hospitality and touism, design and arts.

After first year where the subjects are more generalised (i.e they cover a lot of degrees and majors e.g marketing priciples, business law, stats etc) most of my lectures/tutes were 3 hour all in one blocks with less than 30 students in the class.
I had no lectures after 1st year that were more than 30-40 people.

I came out of UWS with a credit average. I'm a marketing manager at one of the largest Motor Groups in NSW, I have a 70k a year salary, and dont regret going to UWS at all.

1st year at uni in a course like commerce is very different to 2nd and 3rd year.
Kalashnikov47 cant disagree with me becuase he has had a different experience than I, and you cant disagree with someone elses experience, especially when you have done 1 year compared to my 3 in addition to the experience I have had outside uni.

chefman21

HSC
N/A
I've mentiond my position in numerous threads, but at the risk of repeating myself...

I had absolutley no problems. All my lectures/tutors were professionals in their field as well as being academics and I found their teaching excellent, especially their personalised approach to students.
I found all my assignments highly enjoyable (except for the subjects I hated like accounting and stats). I liked the fact our assignments enabled us to be creative and work with real business like in our major marketing project our real-life client piced the best marketing plan to be applied to their product that was sold to the public.

I liked the fact that I was able to do electives outside my degree that interested me like hospitality and touism, design and arts.

After first year where the subjects are more generalised (i.e they cover a lot of degrees and majors e.g marketing priciples, business law, stats etc) most of my lectures/tutes were 3 hour all in one blocks with less than 30 students in the class.

I came out of UWS with a credit average. I'm a marketing manager at one of the largest Motor Groups in NSW, I have a 70k a year salary, and dont regret going to UWS at all.

1st year at uni in a course like commerce is very different to 2nd and 3rd year.
Kalashnikov47 cant disagree with me becuase he has had a different experience than I, and you cant disagree with someone elses experience, especially when you have done 1 year compared to my 3 in addition to the experience I have had outside uni.
Experience matters.

rx34

HSC

Oh wow, well done then! Maybe you should just 'copy and paste' when someone creates a bashing thread about UWS :)

To the OP, if you do have a choice of going to a more well-known university, just go. But if you do not have the choice, just make the best of what you have. Anyway, it is the grades you achieve at uni that determines you not the university. But it is an added plus if you have both good grades+reputable uni.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)