UWS MBBS students (1 Viewer)

purplemonkey

HSC
Hi guys,

I'm really interested in doing med when I'm finished my nursing degree, and was thinking of coming and sitting in on a lecture or two to get a glimpse of what it's like. I noticed from the handbook you guys have Foundations of Medicine 1 on Wednesdays. I was going to come in after the break and sit in from 2pm - 4pm. BUT I was wondering if your lectures are always full, and hence outsiders would definitely be noticed as there would be someone out of a seat. Also, do the lecturers ask people in the audience questions, etc? Any info greatly appreciated :)

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Hey, I'm a first year med student, we normally have pracs on Wednesday from 9-1pm. We have a lecture at 2pm: 'Medical Practitioner's Act - and Dean's visit', which our new Dean Prof. Allison Jones former head of Toxins UK/Britain and Deputy Dean, Head of Medical education at UNCLE will also be introducing herself to first year students.

Our purpose built lecture theatre is always 4/5 empty with a viewing room which you can pop into, I think only 70/120 med students will turn up on Wed since all we have is a personal professional development lecture from 2-3pm and the new deans intro. Lecturers don't tend to pick on students, since they know we are learning it/stuff for the first time.

I will PM you in a minute.

Last edited:

purplemonkey

HSC
\ I think only 70/120 med students will turn up on Wed since all we have is a personal professional development lecture from 2-3pm and the new deans intro. Lecturers don't tend to pick on students, since they know we are learning it/stuff for the first time.

I will PM you in a minute.
Replied to your PM :)

So I take it "personal professional development" isn't really sciencey? Is this what Foundations of Medicine is like all the time or just this week? I've been reading this in the handbook: Unit so I got the impression that this class was not unlike my pathophysiology class? Could you clarify this for me please?

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
PPD is about ethics, medico-legal issues, the health of western sydney, empathy and so in. Most med courses have a simillar learning program. We normally have one of these lectures/tutes every fortnight.

The handbook serves as a general guide, don't pay any attention to the timetable in it.

Like many med schools we have a different timetable each week, except for pracs which are on wednesday and problem based learning tutes on monday and friday in first year. On monday and friday morning and arvo and wednesday arvo we have lectures ranging from: evidence based medicine, physiology, pathophysiology, anatomy, pharmacology, ethics, imaging, etc, etc, etc. We typically have 6-7 lectures throughout the week. On either Tuesday or Thursday we are in hospital wards practising interview and clinical skills on patients with a physician.

We have been studying things in different blocks: first few weeks of this semster we did the GIT, then thecardiovascular system and related diseases, we're just now starting to delve into the respiratory system.

Sample timetable:

Last edited:

purplemonkey

HSC
Ok PPD sounds really boring! Is there somewhere on the UWS site I can look up to get a better idea of when I should pop in? I'd like to come to anything you mentioned ^ except PPD (sounds an awful lot like Discipline of Nursing and I HATED that) :p

Thanks for the sample timetables. So what week are you in now? Someone told me med schools run a tad different to the rest of us? I see you have Brad Frankum, he's a cool guy!

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
We're in week 11, we have 15 weeks, so yeah it's starting to get stressful. Prof. Frankum is one of our clinical deans.

Ok PPD sounds really boring! Is there somewhere on the UWS site I can look up to get a better idea of when I should pop in? I'd like to come to anything you mentioned ^ except PPD (sounds an awful lot like Discipline of Nursing and I HATED that) :p
Our timetable like most other med schools changes every week (following week is released on thursdays) and is only accessable to first year med students via our e-learning platform, I can PM you next weeks timetable tomorrow.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)