UWS Med UAI (1 Viewer)

absolutepureobl

manic monday
HSC
Does anyone know what the lowest UAI was that was accepted into UWS's new med degree?

jubs_

HSC
With all Medicine courses, they have a minimum uai criteria.... I've heard UWS' is 92. Which is around 3-4 uai points down from most unis.... HOWEVER, you still have to pass the UMAT test as well as pass the interview (Just to make sure you're not a total social degenerate). I've also heard that being the first year of its functioning Medicine school, they're somewhat more lenient and even if you don't get 92 or above you can still have a chance to get in granted that you've surpassed a particular mark in the UMAT (and obviously passed the interview)

pottsy44

HSC
all i know is it must of been bloody high (98+ possibly) considering BSc (adv) uai was 99.6 at one of the campuses.

sladehk

le random
HSC
nah
uai cutoff was 92
you MUST have 92 to get in and once you have 92 or higher, they ignore UAI
then they just count your umat and interview performance for whether you get in

pottsy44

HSC
sladehk said:
nah
uai cutoff was 92
you MUST have 92 to get in and once you have 92 or higher, they ignore UAI
then they just count your umat and interview performance for whether you get in
what i meant was the people they probably accepted had uais of 98+ bc of high demand and corresponding BSc (adv) uai cutoffs etc.

absolutepureobl

manic monday
HSC
pottsy44 said:
what i meant was the people they probably accepted had uais of 98+ bc of high demand and corresponding BSc (adv) uai cutoffs etc.
Yeah.

I totalling get the cut-off thing, but I'm wondering what the lowest UAI was that was accepted.

pottsy44

HSC
absolutepureobl said:
Yeah.

I totalling get the cut-off thing, but I'm wondering what the lowest UAI was that was accepted.
i dont think you can find it out, that is why i was speculating 98+. but i think we can safely say they didnt accept anyone lower then 92 UAI.

rusty_rouge

HSC
Well, I got 95.15, and that was accepted? My score was from HSC of 2005. They told us after the interview that the mark was used to see if we were eligible for the interview, along with a good umat score, and then the UAI was discounted altogether.

Admission was based on interview and UMAT, in an approximate ratio - they hadn't confirmed it - of 5:3.

aleco88

HSC
Who else got into med at UWS and what was your UAI (if you don't mind)?
There must be more than two of you.

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
Wow, awesome. I heard 600 people applied for the UWS undergrad MBBS course, but sadly only 100. But there's always next year.

aleco88

HSC
Prashanthy said:
my UAI was 95.50, but that was from the 2005 HSC - i did first year med science at sydney in 2006, and got mostly credits/distinctions. so yeah that should give you some vague idea i guess. UMAT: raw scores added up to 228.
Congrats on getting in prashanthy. My sister is also interested in doing med at UWS so is interested in any information available. how hard is the interview ?

rusty_rouge

HSC
hahaha, prashanthy - I did first year medsci at Sydney too, how strange. It was rather a large group though, so I don't suppose we'd recognise each other...

Lol that's funny. So glad mblg is over for good!

rusty_rouge

HSC
Lol, well, from what I could tell, we were all pretty much hanging out for second year, to do all the interesting subjects, like anatomy-based subjects, immunology etc etc. Not to mention dying to get into medicine, but I think most were waiting for post-grad.

First year is maths, physics, biology and chemistry first sem., and the same, minus bio and adding molecular bio and genetics for second sem. MBLG is a killer, I couldn't stand it, and neither could most of my cohort from what I could gather, but I found chemistry and biolody interesting.

I spose it depends what you're into - I'm more of an artsy type, and I despise maths and physics, so second year was what I was waiting for. But hey, haha, I'm not complaining now.

Prashanthy

j for johnny
in the purple-lined palace of sweet sin, where the
HSC
rusty_rouge said:
hahaha, prashanthy - I did first year medsci at Sydney too, how strange. It was rather a large group though, so I don't suppose we'd recognise each other...

Lol that's funny. So glad mblg is over for good!
God, i reckon. SO not going to miss 5 hour labs and that ridiculous skills test.
and yeah - first year was liek some extension of year 12 (esp for me - basically the same subjects). all round boring - but i was looking forward to this year.
oh well, out of the frying pan...

L

LaraB

pottsy44 said:
all i know is it must of been bloody high (98+ possibly) considering BSc (adv) uai was 99.6 at one of the campuses.
not the case.... they have nothing to do with one another... and as others have said, UMAT is also considered whereas BSc is a UAI entry not UMAT course... it has a small in take too which affects the UAI cut off...

L

LaraB

yoakim said:
Wow, awesome. I heard 600 people applied for the UWS undergrad MBBS course, but sadly only 100. But there's always next year.
http://apps.uws.edu.au/media/news/index.phtml?act=view&story_id=1832

where on earth did you hear that? :p all the papers and other unis etc are all quoting figures between 2000 and 2500... it has nearly 600 (EDIT: ) first preference people, but that wasn't the overall figure... you have 1st year outs and transfers from medsci fighting it out for places - no way is 600 a realistic figure... i'm actually surprised it wasn't more than it was..

(EDIT: since i'm assuming the post below referred to mine - i meant 600 first preferences in appliactions, not 600 places in the course... just a typo)

Last edited by a moderator:

sladehk

le random
HSC
aren't there nonbonded 68 places and then 2 rural schoalrships and like 24 rurally bonded places?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)