• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

UWS Medicine 2013 (1 Viewer)

YimYamYom

HSC
Hi, I'm noob at this uni stuff so please refrain from flaming.

I was wondering what the cut-off is in terms of ATAR and UMAT scores required/cut-off for UWS MBBS 2013 to get an interview. I have looked at their homepage but it's still all 2011 and 2012 entries.

Thanks for your time.

edit: I have read a few threads and know about the UMAT weighting of sections. So only info about ATAR is required.

Last edited:

jet

Banned
HSC
Hi, I'm noob at this uni stuff so please refrain from flaming.

I was wondering what the cut-off is in terms of ATAR and UMAT scores required/cut-off for UWS MBBS 2013 to get an interview. I have looked at their homepage but it's still all 2011 and 2012 entries.

Thanks for your time.

edit: I have read a few threads and know about the UMAT weighting of sections. So only info about ATAR is required.
For most university courses, the ATAR required to get in usually isn't published until after they give out offers.

YimYamYom

HSC
I have just read the UAC 2013 guide and under B Medicine/B Surgery, it says "Applicants who have not completed a degree must attain a minimum ATAR of 95.50 (or equivalent) unless they meet the criteria for Greater Western Sydney residence in which case the minimum ATAR (or equivalent) required is 93.50." I'm assuming this applies to people doing the HSC in 2012. So I'm guessing this course has the required ATAR published? I know you said most so I want to make sure.

1. If I don't have the required UMAT score, does that mean I have 0% chance of an interview even if my ATAR (predicted/actual) is satisfactory?
2. Does everyone who meets the threshold requirements (predicted/actual ATAR + UMAT) automatically get a chance for an interview or do they select the top few?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Alkanes

HSC
I don't think ATAR takes into account for their med program. Just as long as you get pass or equivalent the ATAR that they set out is enough. From what I heard selection is based on only the actual UMAT and Interview, which seems right cause the atar requirements seems a bit low for such a demanding course.

YimYamYom

HSC
So even if I just get the required predicted ATAR but my UMAT is shocking although passable, I'd still be able to obtain an interview in November? Or would I have to wait till my actual ATAR for a chance at an interview later on.

Alkanes

HSC
Sure why not?

But obviously if they don't put much emphasis on the ATAR, means that you must do well in your UMAT and interview at the end of the day. I don't think a pass is good enough for a shot.

YimYamYom

HSC
So I read the threshold UMAT required is roughly 149 (based on the 1:1:0.5 weighting). What is the overall percentile you'd say this is? Even if the overall percentile might not necessarily reflect this, I'd like to feel some sense of security since I don't think I did too well in my UMAT :(

Moldy81

UWS Course Info
HSC
Hi, The ATAR is 93.55 for those who are considered as living in the Greater Western Sydney region, and 95.4 for those who are not. In terms of the UMAT requirement, this is never disclosed to students. Offers for interviews will be made in November, so you will find out then if you were deemed as eligible for an interview. For more information, please visit www.uws.edu.au/medicine or contact the Course Information team on 1300 897 669 or on study@uws.edu.au. Best regards, UWS Course Info.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)