UWS medicine campuses vs UNSW campuses (1 Viewer)

Plack

HSC
I know UWS is in Campbeltown, but when you start practising in actual hospitals is it in Campbeltown hospital? Can anyone tell me whether you can practice in Blacktown hospital because I went there recently and it seems UWS has made a massive building connecting the hospital. Can anyone tell me under what circumstances you can choose to study in Blacktown over Campbeltown?

Likewise, for UNSW, which hospitals do you do training under?

Thanks for the help!

Ryan_T90

HSC
UWS

- Liverpool Hospital (primarily used by UNSW, however, UWS will also send a limited number of final year students here following an agreement with UNSW)
- Macarthur (Campbelltown) Hospital
- Mount Druitt Hospital
- Blacktown Hospital
- Bathurt and Lismore are their rural teaching hospitals.

UNSW

- St. Vincents Hospital
- Liverpool Hospital
- Prince of Wales Hospital
- Royal Hospital for Women
- Sydney Children's Hospital
- St. George Hospital
- Bankstown Hospital
- Sutherland Hospital
- Randwick Hospital

They are both UWS and UNSW affiliated universities. Regarding which one you train under, no idea but it'll be at one of the ones listed. I'd imagine you would be at a hospital relevant to what aspect of medicine you're learning, so for obstetrics and gynecology it would be the Royal Hospital for Women. Again, I am not 100% sure as I have no intention of medicine and haven't looked into this any further.

Last edited:

Plack

HSC
Wow thanks for that list :)

Yeah, I'm more inclined going to UWS simply because I live in the west. So do you know when or how you can apply to go to Blacktown or Mt Druitt Hospital? Is it even compulsory to do medicine in the Campbeltown campus?

Sainteced

HSC
Uni Grad
Wow thanks for that list :)

Yeah, I'm more inclined going to UWS simply because I live in the west. So do you know when or how you can apply to go to Blacktown or Mt Druitt Hospital? Is it even compulsory to do medicine in the Campbeltown campus?
After being accepted, you elect which hospital you would like to go to and the nice UWS staff try and give you what you want. From my experience, they try and place you at the hospital which is closest/easiest to get to i.e. you may live closer to mount druitt but you have a direct train line to blacktown. Medicine is only held at the campbelltown campus.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
I believe that UWS list is also missing Fairfield, Bankstown, RNS and RPA.

Plack

HSC
After being accepted, you elect which hospital you would like to go to and the nice UWS staff try and give you what you want. From my experience, they try and place you at the hospital which is closest/easiest to get to i.e. you may live closer to mount druitt but you have a direct train line to blacktown. Medicine is only held at the campbelltown campus.
Sorry for late reply. So, throughout the 5 years, how many years do you spend in total at Campbeltown? And how many years at the selected hospital you choose? I also heard that you must alternate between different hospitals. E.g. if you pick Blacktown for one year, then you must pick a different one the next time. Can you clarify a bit more =).

Thanks a lot

Sainteced

HSC
Uni Grad
Sorry for late reply. So, throughout the 5 years, how many years do you spend in total at Campbeltown? And how many years at the selected hospital you choose? I also heard that you must alternate between different hospitals. E.g. if you pick Blacktown for one year, then you must pick a different one the next time. Can you clarify a bit more =).

Thanks a lot

Apologies for the exceptionally late reply.

The degree is split into pre-clinical spent mostly at uni (2 years) + clinical in various rotations (3 years) = 5
From my experience, in your pre-clinical years they try and place you in the closest hospital. The hospital placements in the first two years are to introduce you to history taking, patient-doctor relations, examinations and skills you will need in your clinical years. It is a tutorial in a group of 6 with a doctor and is called "Introduction to Clinical Medicine" and is always abbreviated to 'ICM'.

The hospitals for first year are Blacktown, Mount Druitt, Campbelltown and Camden. I live in the hills, so blacktown hospital would be the closest, however I was placed in Mount Druitt. This was most likely because there weren't enough facilities for first years at blacktown (no idea though) but I have no regrets, I had an amazing doctor who really helped us learn the things we needed and more. This was on a thursday for 2 hours.

Come second year, they can now accommodate everyone at either Blacktown or Campbelltown Hospital. So I was moved to Blacktown. Since everyone was placed in either Blacktown or Campbelltown, they didn't have enough doctors or rooms for all of us, so we were separated into either a wednesday or friday group. In addition, you not only had the ICM but you also had a tutorial that just focuses on your clinical skills called 'CPS'. This is a two hour tutorial on the same day as your ICM. E.g. I am on a Wednesday at Blacktown Hospital with a 8am CPS tutorial, a 1 hour break, and 11am ICM. After this I am free for the day.

Hopefully that is a sufficient run down about the pre-clinical years for you. I'm still in 2nd year, so I can't speak for the clinical years (years 3+). If you have any questions, please ask and I will try and answer them as soon as I can. =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)