UWS on the rise. (1 Viewer)

Dingo2004

2 6 C 4 U
HSC
UWS was influenced in the last decade by accepting many low achieving students from the greater west region of sydney. Hence its prestige status didint go up. It was known as the university of opportunity. For those who fell, to pull them back up.
But now that is soon not the case anymore. UWS is now getting just as competitive to get in as to get into usyd or uts etc.

UWS now is equivalent to UTS 4 years ago. In another 3 years from now, we will see UWS cut offs all in the 80s with many in the 90s, and the less demanding courses will be in the 70s. Meaning it will be just as competitive to get into UWS in a few years time as to get into the prestige unis in the city area.

I still remembered when UTS first established in 1990, everyone used to say it was shit as well, where it had cut offs similar to UWS, in the 60s as well, but its demand started to rise very rapidly and cut offs now are mostly in the 80s and 90s, but with still many engineering and science courses in the 70s, but at least they got them out of the 60s.

Now UWS is also starting to get to that stage, as it established around the same time UTS was established. And everyone in the past also been saying how UWS was shit. But now things are finally changing, with many of its courses cut-offs now in the 80s and 90s. Also most courses are in the 70s now, with only a handful left in the 60s cut off range, but in a year or two that will change. Soon UWS will have most of its courses in the 80s and 90s, and with the less demanding courses in the 70s. which will make it inline with the other prestiges unis in sydney.

i see UWS in 2010 as one of the great new prestiges unis of sydney in line with UNSW, USYD, UTS, and Macquarie. Its a future reality we cannot deny. Anyone with a commonsense of mind and ability to think logically will agree with what im saying.

Also the reason why UTS achieved higher cut offs faster than UWS, when they both were established around the same time is because UTS is in a City location. The geography of the campuses matters. As you can see now Parramatta campus of UWS is in the high rise because of its location. And as Sydney's West population is rapidly growing, and is the fastest growing region in Australia, it will become very competitive in years to come to get into UWS, so the future has began. Only the capable will goto uni from now on.
i see the future as anyone getting a UAI below 75 will goto TAFE.
And more people living in the western suburbs of Sydney will choose UWS as their first preference over the other unis, bcoz of closer travelling, and same education, and same prestige status.

Remember many things change in a few years. in 5 years time everyone at school will say UWS is a great uni !!!...
and nobody is gonna diss it.
By the time your kids are doing the HSC, you wouldnt have to be surprised seeing all the cut offs for UWS in the 90s.
and perhaps by then they will have newer unis, which will be in the dissing category for the new generation, and with UWS as one of the prestiges unis.. So basically in future there will be no difference between going to uws or usyd or unsw or uts or wateva, as it will all be the same in the employers eyes of the new generation.

THE END.

Dingo2004

2 6 C 4 U
HSC
but in a few years time it wont be anymore mate
and i dont think unsw and usyd will go up if uws goes up, because by that time when uws is also up there, people in the western suburbs of sydney, (and thats where most of the school kids live) will rather choose uws as their first preference because its more convenient, then by then usyd and unsw and them wont have their uai's go up n e more, uws will b inline with them or maybe even higher.

JRasnier

i dont think that would happen dude, that just cause a uni has high cutoffs, that another university will have even higher cutoffs....its like saying just cause uts has a course at 95, unsw is gonna have theres at 100, just because they wanna look more prestige, (it would be a way of losing funding thats for sure)

babyslug

Too School For Cool
HSC
Yeah i agree wtih Rasnier. I think it's just a bit far fetched to say so too soon. I always looked at UWS as a safety net.

Dingo2004

2 6 C 4 U
HSC
well seriously mate, i see newcastle uni on the rise as well,
all unis are
and there will b a time when all unis r at the top and none can go up further
that is reality if u think about it.

adamj

Cyph, we should all organise a bout of fighting full on. I know it would be good to test some skill on Dingo.

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
"UWS was influenced in the last decade by accepting many low achieving students from the greater west region of sydney. Hence its prestige status didint go up. It was known as the university of opportunity. For those who fell, to pull them back up."

UWS is a univerisity MEANT to cater to students not normally capable/or able to attend ohter unis.. thru factors of distance or finance. This was its original purpose, it was funded by all those 'prestigious' unis so it can cater for the population of students (HSC and mature age) who live in the greater western area of sydney. Prestige is of NO importance to UWS, they do not seek prestige for its $$$ value. The only prestige if any they seek is for their academic value as a PROPER university, UWS wants to be seen by the wider community as a serious university, with serious students. As for 'the university of opportunity' yes, UWS provides us with an opportunity its students, past, present and future, may not have had. But do not think for a moment that this means we are here for losers who dont get the right uais, and that we take the rejects and failures from other unis. To believe that is to believe the stereotyped propoganda society is fed from immature sources (students from other unis, other uni teachers who are perhaps overly zealous in their defence of their current employer and of course the media who are biased anyway).

"Meaning it will be just as competitive to get into UWS in a few years time as to get into the prestige unis in the city area."

Unless you havent been paying attention the past few months... to get into uni from now on is going to bebloody difficult. HECS are going up, HECS places are decreasing, some courses have NO HECS PLACES.... All unis, from here to whoop whoop are going to be competitive to get into. ~70,000 hsc students for <40,000 places and those places are on the decline.... not slowly, not progressively.. but RAPIDLY. UWS is worse off than other unis, it always has been, and we've fought against it. The stereotyping, over crowded classes, too many students, not enough teachers, not enough rooms, not enough funding. Last year i had a friend who did some of her courses for uws at panthers because they had no where else to put them, they held classes as nearby community halls and outside so they could take in as many students as possible... this year they've had more students apply and we will probably be in the same situation. Prestige wouldnt have helped us then... community support did.

"But now things are finally changing, with many of its courses cut-offs now in the 80s and 90s. Also most courses are in the 70s now, with only a handful left in the 60s cut off range, but in a year or two that will change. Soon UWS will have most of its courses in the 80s and 90s, and with the less demanding courses in the 70s. which will make it inline with the other prestiges unis in sydney."

Course cut offs mean crap all. The cut off for msot courses went up.. does that mean that the new influx of students is going to be smarter.. no, most likely not. UWS, as stated above, caters to the western suburbs... when you are catering to places like doonside and mt druitt you dont have uais inline with other unis, you're defeating the purpose if you do. I'm not saying that they wont rise, or that they wont be in the 80's to 90's but i dont see B.Equine Studies, B. Agricultural Studies and the other such courses going to attempt to be competitive .. when there is no real competition amoungst the Sydney unis for these courses. Prestige of your uni doesnt bother farmers, or trainers or wine growers/makers, it doesnt bother me and it shouldnt bother you. Its not the prestige of your uni that makes your uni a good one.

"i see UWS in 2010 as one of the great new prestiges unis of sydney in line with UNSW, USYD, UTS, and Macquarie. Its a future reality we cannot deny. Anyone with a commonsense of mind and ability to think logically will agree with what im saying."

Macquarie.. isnt prestigious.... they think they are... but in truth their only prestige comes from their ideas of self importance. Especially when their professors go around bagging out other unis... thats slack and immature. Dingo... you dont have a grip on reality, therefore logic and common sense elude you... so no one really agrees with what your saying. UWS is a GREAT uni... and it doesnt need your help, or predictions of grandure to make it look like a refuge for losers.

"Also the reason why UTS achieved higher cut offs faster than UWS, when they both were established around the same time is because UTS is in a City location. The geography of the campuses matters. As you can see now Parramatta campus of UWS is in the high rise because of its location"

Location means alot... if your in the property business or looking for a house, but it means virtually nothing in how a person should look at a uni. Parra campus is no greater or lesser than any other campus. Bankstown isnt crap because of where it is situated, neither is Campbelltown or Blacktown. To enrol at a uni because of its location is stupid, you enrol to learn not to shop or city crawl. If this or gaining prestige from saying you went to a uni 'in the city' is what is important to you, you might as well save yourself the time and money and go to TAFE.. in the city.

"Only the capable will goto uni from now on.
i see the future as anyone getting a UAI below 75 will goto TAFE."

If the capable are going to uni from now on... does this mean you're not going to uni? And it is silly to assume that 75 is now a TAFE mark, i have friends who go in the 90's who are at TAFE... one of them works at ARIA. What about courses that require not only a uai, but have interview proceedures and auditions? Uai has never been a sole reason for admittance to uni, uni is not ONLY there for HSC leavers, it is there for mature age students as well. No ones life depends on their uai or their admittance into uni. Uni is great and all but it really isnt that important.

Employers look at what uni you came from, but they arent interested in that. They are employing you and your skills... not those of your uni, no matter how prestigious you may think it is.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
almost as good as the WIndschuttle vs rest debate we had in the ext his forums :)

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
A university is a university - get off your fucking high horse and tell someone who cares. As long as you're doing what you want, where you want - who gives a shit?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
but but but.... i like my high horse :(

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
micheal... just watch the av.. that is as close as ur gonna get to christine ;)

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
ROFL we do? oh good... /me ticks off checklist.

but then again ur gonna be a cop.. so maybe its not good... err...

James Dean

The oldest join date here
HSC
N/A
high cut offs or rising cut offs dont necessarily equate to higher or high prestige.

ANU for example has much lower cut offs than most of the courses at UWS yet it is considered in the same league as usyd and unsw.

rising cut offs are determined by increasing supply and demand, not because the course or the uni is becoming more prestigious.

Last edited:

cheesegrater

Overlord of the universe
ANU's reputation doesnt come from the faculties but rather from the insitute for advanced studies which are kind of parra-faculties yet no under grad and even most post grads will never have anything to do with these. they are research instutes for the top minds in the country only, hence where there prestige come from.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)