UWS taboo (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ingypingy

HSC
Hi ho. Well, as I'm sure you know, year 12 just got UAC guides. I want to do Industrial Design. At UTS, the UAI is 81.35, and UNSW it is 80.00. Why then is UWS 70.00?! Is that a refelection on the course and the kind of people who do it?

Also, UWS seems to have this weird taboo surrounding it about being second rate... I don't know why. Maybe it is just snobbery, but is there anythign to the idea?

Taa heaps!

Malazn Pleasure

External Auditor
HSC
the lower uai is nothing to do with the standard of its teachings

its all about the demand that determines the uai mark

Year 12 just got their uac guidess??
We haven't, and we're half way trhrough trails. i got some complaing to do when I get back to school lol.

Yeah, the Uai for any course is determinded by the demand for places and the number of available places. I agree that there are a lot of negative comments made about UWS but Its a uni, i mean it gets you and education and a job.

Yeah there are alot of snobs out there who will want to bag you for going to uws but if you cant make it into another universtity, uws is beter than no uni.

I think you'll find that the reason why the uais for uws are lower than for UTS, USYD, UNSW and Macquarie is because there are fewer people in the Western suburbs who actually want go to university.
Most uni studenst live in the eastern half of the metro area and thus dont want to travel all the way to Penrith or Campbelltown, also contributing to lower uais.

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
I don't think it's because "there are fewer people in the Western suburbs who actually want to go to university", it's because the demand for the degree at UWS is lower from not just the western suburbs, but Sydney-wide. This is most probably due to the stigma attached to the western suburbs and UWS, plus the fact that UWS isn't seen to be as "prestigious" as other universities in Sydney.

You'd be surprised how many students who live in the eastern suburbs actually attend universities in the west, as well as interstate.

Generator

HSC
N/A
skeeze16 said:
I think you'll find that the reason why the uais for uws are lower than for UTS, USYD, UNSW and Macquarie is because there are fewer people in the Western suburbs who actually want go to university.
Most uni studenst live in the eastern half of the metro area and thus dont want to travel all the way to Penrith or Campbelltown, also contributing to lower uais.

Screw you, Jackie! Living in a hole as always, I see.

Sorry, leaving...

Last edited:

Ingypingy

HSC
Malazn Pleasure said:
the lower uai is nothing to do with the standard of its teachings

its all about the demand that determines the uai mark
yeah, but surely there's some link between the demand for the course and the quality of the course... Sure, there are other factors like being a new uni, and people in WS being bogans and not wanting to go to uni (apparently...), but the actual coure has gotta be a factor... you'd think...

Malazn Pleasure

External Auditor
HSC
yeah and i would also think that someone who doesnt even go to UWS and should study for their HSC and therefore doesnt know anything about it should STFU!

eLmo

Stalker.
HSC
Ingypingy said:
yeah, but surely there's some link between the demand for the course and the quality of the course... Sure, there are other factors like being a new uni, and people in WS being bogans and not wanting to go to uni (apparently...), but the actual coure has gotta be a factor... you'd think...
And why would you think that? ..this is the sort of narrow minded thinking that we usually deal with :rolleyes: The UAI cut-off's are lower because of demand the majority of the time.
And just because the uni has the words "Western Sydney" its name does not atuomatically mean that everyone is from the western suburbs and therefore of lower class- education, intellect, finance etc.

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
The UAI score needed to gain a place in a course has no bearing on how good the course is, how good the teachers are and/or what chances you have of employment during or after the completion of your course.

UWS has a bad vibe attached to it i agree. And the current (overly publicised) monetary situation isn't helping. But when the uni serves a very wide range of students with a very broad range of courses, over a very large area you would expect that resources are a little stretched at times. I find it amusing to see UWS branded as a waste of time uni, especially considering all the good work they do, the national and international accreditations and acknowledgements they have, as well as how they have competed against other unis in the different areas and won despite being the 'lowly, unprestigious' derro uni.

So if you want to find out proper information about your course choice it would be advisable to talk to a careers adviser, as well as getting out and meeting people who do taht course and most importantly going to the open days and info sessions so you not only get to meet the teachers in charge of your course but also some of the students who might also be applying for that course. It also allows you to see the broader picture rather than be limited to the small amount of information you have now.

klh

HSC
i reckon....
UWS courses and Also any uni course has to be Of high quality becasue it is a University. If UWS is crap or 2nd rate, then it would not be called a uni but maybe something else? ALl Unis have to go through some process from the authorities (dont know what they are called) so that All uni courses have some similarities in what they learn.

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
golfstick said:
hahahahahahaha

(it's all relative darling. Simply, some place has to be the worst)
and isn't it great that uws isnt it. They wouldnt be working with NASA if they were would they?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Stop making threads about this..
I don't get why people bitch about which uni to go to anyway.. i'm just going to go to the one with the course i wanna do, that's closest to me, that i can get into.
What else matters? How 'prestigious' it is? Grow up yuppies.

Malazn Pleasure

External Auditor
HSC
golfstick said:
the soundness of all the arguments by UWS students in this thread is phenomenal

keep it up!
ur argument aint so great itself so if i were u i would stfu

nessie_lee

Povo Uni Student!
Knights territory.... and I'm a Doggies supporter!
HSC
I don't know this, coz i haven't actually been to the campus myself, but ppl say that the Bankstown Campus (where they offer social work) is pretty shockers....Someone else i know said a degree from western syd wasn't worth the paper it was written on.. can anyone tell me what is so bad about western syd?

Jonathan A

HSC
I go to Bankstown, it's my home campus, although i go to Parramatta as well. UWS's facilities are one of the best I have seen. I have UNSW and Usyd can't match us in them and going to USyd as well I can clarify that UWS is a warmer and more advanced environment. One thing about tertirary education, when someone provides an easier and more effective alternative, someone will always be there to knock it. As a law student, this happens all the time, you are not a law student unless you attend the Sydney Law School, however this speculation is merely just that.

UWS is renouned for achievements that extend beyond our neighbouring unis, from the best Psych courses through to a large array of Business courses. There is also a large shift of students moving to our uni, from UTS and UNSW.

Jonathan A

HSC
Hear Hear!

I work accross the road from Usyd, people there are generally not as nice (nor bright) as what is at UWS. Whilst I have many mates at USyd (and they are damn smart), one cannot beat the friendly, experienced and progressing environment at UWS. I would not transfer even given the oppurtunity to get into Oxford Law. I would like one day to lecture myself, and I would like to do that at UWS, because there is potential and the people are down to earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)