• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

UWS UAI entries (1 Viewer)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
LaraB said:
more than anything, it depends on the area peopel live coz you may have kick ass marks but ifur postcode ain'nt on the list you can't apply.. so depends on who can and can't apply each year a lot..... plus you gotta keep it by keeping up high academic succes once you get it :)
This annoys me, that I cant even APPLY bcoz my post code isnt on the list

hYperTrOphY

HSC
LaraB said:
1 - um.. where did you hear thaht/who has said that? because put simply, it's not true.
of course the number of students at big law firms will be less - it's a new uni, plus a lot of people at uws don't necessarily want to become lawyers a lot want to be legal consultants in large corporate entities, enter alternative dispute resolution, add to another degree etc...

emplolyers will not favour someone from a more prestigious uni just on that basis - they're not that stupid. If you did a relevant course and achieved highly no one's gonan care if you went to uws.

that said - employers i have spoken to/heard etc all have quite significant respect for the course structure, uws teachers and students, the practical nature of the course, the abilty to apply our knowledge to the workplace etc etc...

EDIT : ps - what's to say that getting accepted into a big law firm means a more successful career anyway? most people dont stay at their first place of work, and if you're in a large firm at teh bottom rung, the experience gained may be less beneficial than if you were at a smaller firm and were higher 'ranked' i spose and thus gaining more 1st hand experience:)

2- just because it may foster a less academically competitive nature to applying to uws doesn't mean there isn't a positive learning environment.Very few people who are there don't wanna be there/don't want to learn, there's a big age range ie undergrads, 1st/2nd/3rd etc yr students, mature ages and post grade giving, i think, a more positive lerarning environemt as unlike other unis you have a huge range and variety of experiences and opinions to learn from...

oh, your comment about scholarships - it's not as easy as most people think:p to be assured of getting an (academically based) scholarship, you pretty much gotta get aroun 98 ish it seems to be i guess 'guaranteed' a scholarship.... so its a little easier but not hugely... more than anything, it depends on the area peopel live coz you may have kick ass marks but ifur postcode ain'nt on the list you can't apply.. so depends on who can and can't apply each year a lot..... plus you gotta keep it by keeping up high academic succes once you get it

just don't make a decision before you come to the uni and talk to lecturers and students ie open day because unfortunately the vast majority of the non-uws attending population's view and opinions of teh uni are ill-informed/aimed to bag out the uni/just plain bullsh*t...

so come and talk to us before accepting those kinda opinions:)
I agree 100% about the course at UWS. People from within the legal industry have said that it very well structured and is quite practical. I also agree that most people are extremely ignorant and stigmatise the uni and its graduates because of its location and low status level (primarily because its a relatively young uni). However, that proves my point - people (including employers) have these biases. I'm not agreeing with the majority, simply stating that it does exist and it may affect my employment chances.
Also, by no means do I believe working in a large law firm will be most satisfying. On the contrary, I would probably prefer to work for Legal Aid or the DPP. But I am not saying I would not contemplate it - I have no idea how I will feel or what I will want from my career in the future. And if I do wish to pursue such a position, people studying law and people who have graduate continue to reinforce that UWS will hinder my possibilities. Hence, my confusion.

I am hoping for a UAI of high 90s, so 98 isn't out of the question at the moment. I would have no problems with the postcode, I live in the Mount Druitt area. I will apply either way and see what happens.

Thanks for you reply. :)

matt#1

HSC
N/A
LaraB said:
1 - um.. where did you hear thaht/who has said that? because put simply, it's not true.
of course the number of students at big law firms will be less - it's a new uni, plus a lot of people at uws don't necessarily want to become lawyers a lot want to be legal consultants in large corporate entities, enter alternative dispute resolution, add to another degree etc...

emplolyers will not favour someone from a more prestigious uni just on that basis - they're not that stupid. If you did a relevant course and achieved highly no one's gonan care if you went to uws.

that said - employers i have spoken to/heard etc all have quite significant respect for the course structure, uws teachers and students, the practical nature of the course, the abilty to apply our knowledge to the workplace etc etc...

EDIT : ps - what's to say that getting accepted into a big law firm means a more successful career anyway? most people dont stay at their first place of work, and if you're in a large firm at teh bottom rung, the experience gained may be less beneficial than if you were at a smaller firm and were higher 'ranked' i spose and thus gaining more 1st hand experience:)

2- just because it may foster a less academically competitive nature to applying to uws doesn't mean there isn't a positive learning environment.Very few people who are there don't wanna be there/don't want to learn, there's a big age range ie undergrads, 1st/2nd/3rd etc yr students, mature ages and post grade giving, i think, a more positive lerarning environemt as unlike other unis you have a huge range and variety of experiences and opinions to learn from...

oh, your comment about scholarships - it's not as easy as most people think:p to be assured of getting an (academically based) scholarship, you pretty much gotta get aroun 98 ish it seems to be i guess 'guaranteed' a scholarship.... so its a little easier but not hugely... more than anything, it depends on the area peopel live coz you may have kick ass marks but ifur postcode ain'nt on the list you can't apply.. so depends on who can and can't apply each year a lot..... plus you gotta keep it by keeping up high academic succes once you get it

just don't make a decision before you come to the uni and talk to lecturers and students ie open day because unfortunately the vast majority of the non-uws attending population's view and opinions of teh uni are ill-informed/aimed to bag out the uni/just plain bullsh*t...

so come and talk to us before accepting those kinda opinions:)
well said Lara. Our course at UWS rules! :)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
matt#1 said:
at least I don't have to put up with all those USYD snobs anymore at UWS.
haha .... coming from a former USYD snob :p just joking!

There are snobs at UWS ... and unforuntely I think about 99% of them do my landuse and the environment subject ... and all of them are in my debating group ... F**K!!!!

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Cape said:
haha .... coming from a former USYD snob :p just joking!
Yeah, I was a bit snobby before when I went to Sydney Uni wasn't I? :) I didn't mean all the things I said about UWS though (obviously, or I wouldn't have transferred)...I just enjoyed stirring up the UWS students because so people here are really paranoid about what other people think about UWS.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
matt#1 said:
Yeah, I was a bit snobby before when I went to Sydney Uni wasn't I? :) I didn't mean all the things I said about UWS though (obviously, or I wouldn't have transferred)...I just enjoyed stirring up the UWS students because so people here are really paranoid about what other people think about UWS.
eep ... we aren't paranoid. Its more like sick to death of people saying that we are basically "dumb". You should know, you stirred a fair bit! But alls forgiven know :D btw, why did you decide to transfer?

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Cape said:
eep ... we aren't paranoid. Its more like sick to death of people saying that we are basically "dumb". You should know, you stirred a fair bit! But alls forgiven know :D btw, why did you decide to transfer?
I transferred because I really hated my Bachelor of Economics degree due mostly to all the maths it involved. I only chose it because I enjoyed Economics in year 12 and it was my highest HSC mark (93). Also, I completed a few business law and human resourse management units at Sydney Uni and really enjoyed them...so I decided that I wanted to study business (IR + HRM)/ laws. However, Law at USYD requires a 99.6+ UAI and that is a bit out of my reach. UWS, however only requires a UAI of about 91. That's why I transferred :) .

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Cape said:
eep ... we aren't paranoid. Its more like sick to death of people saying that we are basically "dumb".
...and don't worry about what others say. You know as well as I do that you and 1000's of other UWS students aren't dumb.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
matt#1 said:
at least I don't have to put up with all those USYD snobs anymore at UWS.
how ur finding ur first week here. btw, wat made u change our of curiousity?

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
matt#1 said:
the first week was good. read my above post to see why i changed
hehe ... wonder if he will be saying that when thousands of assessments are due at the same time :)

L

LaraB

Cape said:
Oh, thats a suck up, if ever I heard one ;)
haha i don't mind lol:)

what you said about assignments - i dunno.. our course aint too bad for that, at least i didn't fin dit that way last semester coz you got half frmo business faculty half from law faculty.. so you get busienss stuff all due at once, and law stuff due in bits n pieces

its good n bad.. i think we had 1st assignment due week 4 - was worth 35% and then was just the exam, whereas the other law unit had bits n pieces here n there week 4,8,12 etc

business wasn't too bad coz they were due around the same time but you had a fair while to do em.. and wit tute poreesntations, if u had the nicer tutors you got to pick so it fit in well with your other assignments:)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
hehe ... I was only having a go at him LaraB.

Aww ... your course sounds good with the assignment bit. I'd kill to have my assignments spread out more. But then again, I only have one final exam (hopefully they won't put it at the end of the exam period) and its open book!!!

But I now have extra incentative to do well in one subject this semester, which will be quite hard.

L

LaraB

Cape said:
hehe ... I was only having a go at him LaraB.

Aww ... your course sounds good with the assignment bit. I'd kill to have my assignments spread out more. But then again, I only have one final exam (hopefully they won't put it at the end of the exam period) and its open book!!!

But I now have extra incentative to do well in one subject this semester, which will be quite hard.
yeah maybe it kinda evens out coz far as i know every core unit i'll do so 1st,2nd,3rd year and at least half of my subjects 4th n 5th yr have exams:( which kinda sucks

i spose tho you're technically meant to spend all that extra time studying tho :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)